Pick 53: Jack Graham | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 53: Jack Graham

I'd like to think that following Cotchin including him in the build up on GF day last year there maybe a sense of attachment to RFC & the playing group, if it already wasn't there!

Lynch coping *smile* for leaving a crap side & organisation to go play for his homestate and win flags - a dog, apparently

Brandon Ellis & Jack Graham leaving a winning team & elite organisation to go to play for the wooden spooner who are one of the most toxic organisations going round for more money - "looking for more opportunities".

If he wants to leave, *smile* let him but make sure we make the Crows overpay for a 2nd rate slow midfielder with leadership qualities - just like they made us overpay on Kane Johnson. That worked out well for us, lets see how it goes for them

I might be biased because he is extended family, but what right does any supporter have to question a players decision to move back home? Kids get drafted by any side who picks them, often basket case interstate clubs.

Reactions: 2 users
Houli will go years end (. With Rance's paycheck think will cover all our player requirements ...

There comes a point where it feels uncomfortable to trade away too many young premiership players who’ve experienced multi-premiership success here.

Are we at that point yet?

In 5+ years, how much value do players like Graham provide for our next next batch of kids? He was touted as the best SA U18 captain we’ve seen in 10 years. He leads by example with his defensive running and has already sacrificed his body for the team in the ultimate form.

This positions him to potentially become a pretty outstanding future leader for us.

Form is the question mark. Well, form per dollar requested.

However, he’s been niggled with yearly injuries since pre-draft. He’s never had an extended, uninterrupted go. And he kicked 3 goals in a Grand Final. Unlike an Ellis, we don’t know exactly what we’d be trading away.

This means Jack Graham is a young premiership leader with potential.

Potential that should be paid in full + change if someone wants him. And if Adelaide wants him, that’s potential paid in full + change + a few shopping bags (the good kind).

Reactions: 4 users
I might be biased because he is extended family, but what right does any supporter have to question a players decision to move back home? Kids get drafted by any side who picks them, often basket case interstate clubs.

The same right any human has to be part of any forum - Don't forget a forum is a "public meeting place for open discussion ". Graham choosing to leave Richmond to become a crow deserves to be scrutinised, especially since he is MILES off being a finished product.

I follow a lot of sports. My golly have i seen some stars cop some royal *smile* about leaving an average team to go play for a contender. Brad Ottens, Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Tom Lynch - list is very very long. If a player wants to go focus on his career and put himself in the best position to succeed and get the most out of his talent/career - for some reason they are seen as weak, unloyal, soft.....

Then, I always then think of those poor bastards that in the past have been recruited by teams that are awfully run, mis-manage mental health issues, mis-manage injruies & totally screw talented kids up with poor culture and development plans. It destroys promising careers.

I agree re the basketcase clubs comment - Sac Kings, 90's Clippers, Minnesota Timberwolves, 2000's Richmond, Gold Coast Suns, Carlton, - all examples of clubs that just RUINED careers IMO. The players who have been drafted by those teams lament being forced to those clubs as their chance of succeeding is very minimal.

But thats not Richmond at all. It is, however, completely where the crows are right now.

Personally, i find it more weird when a player is lucky enough to find themselves recruited into the most successful, well run organisation you could dream of, then chose to leave for reasons that are just "more familiar".They walk into success, elite development, get treated extremely well - to leave to be part of a team which is known for mis-treating their players, winless, souless culture poor leadership etc etc etc

As a parent, i also find it weird to think i would want my son to quit being in the best professional enviroment he possibly could be in to get the most out of his passion - just to be closer to me. Parents don't sacrifice all those weekends taking their kids to sports for themselves, they do it for their kids to give them a chance to chase their dream. Over the past 4 years in drafts and development - we are the best. Any young player who is serious about getting the best out of themselves and their career would have to question leaving Richmond to go to the Crows who, quite honestly, are a total *smile* show. That camp they put players on what some of the worst management i have seen.

At least Ellis left a finished product. Graham is not even close. I think this would be a poor time for him to chose to leave Richmond.At least wait till you have milked our system for every drop of potential you have. To be coming off a career worst year & think joining the ADL Crows is the "new environment" you need to be your best.... just doesn't seem logical. He is a good player with exceptional courage, but he is not a finished product & until that point i think he deserves it to his family an himself to make sure he does everything he can to be sure he can capitalise on all the hard work he did to get himself to this point. ATM nowhere beats Richmond for options there.

Reactions: 2 users
the other thing to remember with Jack is, Richmond took him 53, and instantly held him in high regard. they even said, from memory, "future Captain" material.

Meanwhile the crows had pick 51 and took Himmellberg. That was despite Jack being the SA U18's captain.

Richmond have backed this kid in like no other club would have, from day 1. They believe in him 100% - to the point where they played him 6 games , in our first grand final side in 40 years.

The Crows interest in him is coming at their lowest ebb. I think he would be nuts to leave the club who has believed in him so much at this point of his career. The crows have no direction and are scrounging for any new direction or hope they can. It would like someone moving from Australia to the USA in the middle of the current COVID situation. Why walk into that chaos?

Reactions: 1 user
I missed the statement from Jack G saying he's requested a trade to Adelaide. Is it up on the RFC site?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Are we becoming the first club in the history of the AFL to have the balls to tell its member's players will be leaving the club mid season?
Last year with Ellis and now with Graham.
Graham is good but we have better.
If he can get us a pick under 25 (aka Collingwood) we should use it to fill a gap in our side.
A ball winning mid or get Alir Alir.

Jack is not the sort of player you let walk out the door.

Reactions: 4 users
Jack is not the sort of player you let walk out the door.
I dont think anyone wants him to, but clearly the crows are offering him money & the whimsical lure of going home to adelaide.

The cap scenario has the potential to gut our club much like the bombers felt when they had to move Blumfield, Carracella & Dimma on.

With a list like ours the option to overpay your 21st best player is no option at all

• Sad
Loved his game. Fast with the ball. Kicked aggressively toward goal at every opportunity to teammates’ advantage. And did all the defensive stuff we’ve come to expect from him.

Reactions: 5 users
Loved his game. Fast with the ball. Kicked aggressively toward goal at every opportunity to teammates’ advantage. And did all the defensive stuff we’ve come to expect from him.
Yep very good game. Lowered his eyes and hit Lynch I think twice lace out.

Reactions: 1 users
Starting to get a bit of the football which is pleasing. He is generally a neat disposer.

23 touches is about the mark we need consistently from him though.

Thought he was good tonight, got more of the ball. If he adds consistency to his ball winning coupled with his defensive work we'll have a very good player.

23 touches. Equal second-highest disposal tally ever and the seventh time he has recorded 20 or more.

If Jack Graham wants to stay in the ones he has to get it more. Otherwise he will have to look for more opportunity at Adelaide.

Improved game tonight. FWIW I think his licence is usually defence-focussed and he was given more freedom to attack the ball tonight. If he'd used it better he might have been in the best. But he did win it. Four clearances is ok. Jack was very good when the game was on early.

Prestia leaves a big hole in the middle. Jack Graham is getting 'more opportunity' at Richmond. It's up to him.

Reactions: 5 users
to be fair to the bombers, they didnt defend our midfield.
I dont think the bombers rated our mids.
No wonder that Jack and the rest got season high/career high numbers.
FFS they left Dusty on his own at multiple times. The 2nd last centre bounce Dusty was standing at 3oclock on his lonesome. At another boundary throw-in there was no one within 5 metres of him. Great game plan.
So no wonder Jack had a lot of the pill (good on him, he played well and used well)

Bit off egg on our face this week. That was a superb performance. If he can find this sort of consistency he's a start up selection every week.