Pick 53: Jack Graham | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 53: Jack Graham

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Best case deal would be a second rounder and we will struggle to find someone as good as Graham in the second round of the draft. He’s also only 22 with plenty of scope for improvement. Not sure we should be willingly offloading inside mids in that age bracket.

With the Crows in a complete mess and good picks due to their place on the ladder and potential offloading of their "stars", don't be surprised if a young tough local SA boy who's a proven premiership player and certain Captain material commands an overs pick. Christ there are plenty of examples every trade period where teams pay overs. Graham would tick all of the Adelaide's boxes, except the "Must be a *smile*" box.

Reactions: 1 user

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
I don't follow the contracts closely enough - but surely Houli, Edwards (Cotch?) (Jack?) (Nank?) and a few elder brethren are likely to depart at the end of this year?

I wouldn't be in a hurry to trade Graham (at 22 he's just hitting his straps)

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I don't follow the contracts closely enough - but surely Houli, Edwards (Cotch?) (Jack?) (Nank?) and a few elder brethren are likely to depart at the end of this year?

I wouldn't be in a hurry to trade Graham (at 22 he's just hitting his straps)

Houli out of contract this year
Edwards out 2021
Cotch 2022
Jack 2021
Nank 2020

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Can't wait for the we should have kept Graham comments next year

Reactions: 4 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Things could be so different if we hadn’t have drafted him in 2016, game changing last 3/4s in the 2017 GF and a distinct possibility we don’t make the 2019 GF if it wasn’t for the incredibly courageous effort of Jack Graham that is ,in the PF . I even “had” to get his number 34 tattooed beside the 2019 Premiers knight work of art

JG has had a stack of injuries his whole career, could this change and his best footy is still ahead of him or is his body just one of those who just continues to fall apart ?

I don’t want to lose Jack as his just about our best defensive midfielders , though only in there second year things could also be a lot different if Ross or RCD had have come on in leaps and bounds .

Everyone has there price , however I think I’d rather keep JG then a speculative second rounder in the lottery that is this draft.

Reactions: 9 users

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Definite keep for mine. Balme's comments did not inspire confidence for me regarding us keeping him though.

tonemaster

Tiger Rookie
May 10, 2005
Jack Graham is a bit like Kane Lambert: they're excellent when Cotchin, Martin, Prestia and Edwards are in the side.

When our A-grade midfielders aren't there, though, they're not up to the task.

That's fine, our players can't all be A-graders. But the deficiencies in Graham's game mean he won't ever be an A-grader.

The question is: does letting Graham go mean we can get another A-grader or a cheaper B-grader?

I'm not privy to all the details at the club, but that's what's the thinking will be.

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
2nd round draft picks are worthless this year, don't let him leave.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Definite keep for mine. Balme's comments did not inspire confidence for me regarding us keeping him though.
I think Balmy was just saying it would depend on what Jack wants to do - return home to Adelaide or not. We aren't party to the inside info e.g. if he has the same girlfriend, she's from there too. Missing families? Maybe even thinking kids? That's all their business.

So why haven't we already signed him? Does anyone know? Seems really odd given how he is regarded for his flag team contributions.
Is it Jack's decision - wants to keep his options open? But means he could walk for nothing in the PSD. That seems remiss of the club to me, even if as Balmy implied, we would not stop him moving if that is what he wants.

But he also said we really valued JG and wanted him to stay. I respect JG and agree he has the right to choose whta's best for his future.
But we cannot bleed any more quality, young premiership players without fair compensation.

AFAIAC, I'd keep him. Agree with the positive comments from last match. Sure, he lacks explosive pace. He must work on anticipation, quick responses. And most of all, turn himself into another handball master. But I value what he brings overall.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
i vote keep him. i thought Balmes comments were positive and we already knew the club value him. Dimmas words about him after that 2019 PF said a whole lot..
if he wants to go home that's another matter.