Pick 53: Jack Graham | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 53: Jack Graham

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yep, that's the opinion I've had of him from pretty early on in his career. Not the flashiest, or the best player on the list. But does all those gritty things one would expect of a leader on the field.

His endurance running is immense, the spread he gives us coming out of defence too was great. There were a number of times the ball was switched and players were busting a gut to get out onto the open side, and several times it was Graham leaving the Carlton player that was manning him a good 5-10m behind him.

His running power is such an asset for the style of footy that we play.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
His endurance running is immense, the spread he gives us coming out of defence too was great. There were a number of times the ball was switched and players were busting a gut to get out onto the open side, and several times it was Graham leaving the Carlton player that was manning him a good 5-10m behind him.

His running power is such an asset for the style of footy that we play.
Indeed. In an outright sprint, probably not the speediest bloke in the AFL (or on our list). But his speed and power endurance to just keep doing it over and over again is his major strength. In a sliding door moment that he took up a different sport in his young days, would make a great 'miler' in track and field, or perhaps a middleweight boxer. Very much these are athletic pursuits where the core aim is speed and power endurance.

Last edited:

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Don't believe he was ever a sub 10 possession player?
2020 R1 8 possessions, r8 6 possessions
2019 qf 7 possessions
2018 r2 9 possessions, r10 7 possessions, qf 7 possessions, pf 8 possessions
2017 qf 9 possessions.
Total: 8 times sub 10 possessions

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
2019 qf 7 possessions
2017 qf 9 possessions.
8 games out of 56.
Take them away and he’d be averaging around 20 disposals for the other 48
So which do you go with? The lesser sample size or the majorit?

Reactions: 2 users

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
8 games out of 56.
Dimma said last night that after the game that the new rule changes have now brought the game to him, gets to the contests and endurance beast. He has been and is highlighted for these positives even before this year but now the game has drifted to his qualities. Happy times for Jack and Lambo, runners.
Losing Markov sticks in my craw, big time.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
2019 qf 7 possessions
2017 qf 9 possessions.
What the time on ground for each of those games, and where did he get his kicks. Did he finish those games or did he get injured?
Stats only tell part of the story.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
8 games out of 56.
He was breaking tackle records back then too. Ultimate team player.

josey

Tiger Superstar
Mar 17, 2008
Melbourne
It looked to me that he has been working on exploding from the contest. It was noticeable that he was not looking to immediately dispose of the ball but really power away from the contest.

If he is able to consistently break the lines this way he will become really damaging and totally different player to the one he has been.

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
2019 qf 7 possessions
2017 qf 9 possessions.
I don't know why we persist with Riewoldt. A zero goal player.

8 times, he's kicked 0 goals.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The impression I get is that shoulder gave Graham a lot of trouble for a long time. He just didn't seem right for quite a while. I was worried it may not heal properly. His style of play requires a solid body and a suspect shoulder would affect him more than a lot of players.

Great to see him back in fine form.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
There were 3 known clubs looking to take him from Richmond Crows / Blues / Druggies

Tigers signed him up for less than all the others were offering him

Smart Man

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
From the Roar

wow - talk about going under the radar till now - breakout game from a young player who has such a high standard anyway

Richmond
Rising – Jack Graham
The re-signing of Graham by Richmond over the off-season was covered nowhere near as much as moves of others. But Graham dominated the Blues. He had 33 disposals, 836 metres gained and 26 pressure acts. Random stats, hey? Only Nat Fyfe and Gary Ablett have recorded 30/800/25 in a game. It was brilliant from Graham.

Falling – David Astbury
He’s been a star for the Tigers but the emergence of Noah Balta has pushed Astbury into the shadows. He will contribute but the once star defender will be a role player.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Glad someone else said it. As I have too. Was almost a "new" Jack Graham. Not much wrong with the old one but that was awesome.
And showed real zip. Often in previous years he's looked as slow as treacle

Reactions: 1 user

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Falling – David Astbury
He’s been a star for the Tigers but the emergence of Noah Balta has pushed Astbury into the shadows. He will contribute but the once star defender will be a role player.

I don't get this comment. Astbury has always been a role player in our defence. And he plays it damn well. And he still a star defender IMO.

Reactions: 5 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I don't get this comment. Astbury has always been a role player in our defence. And he plays it damn well. And he still a star defender IMO.
to be fair the author had to pick a Richmond player for "Falling". Not many are doing that :)
Astbury started the GF on the bench, its reasonable to say that his career is nearing a conclusion and that more attention will be directed to Balta and Grimes. Much like it was when Rance was our defence and he and Astbury controlled the airwaves.
Dave is probably happy with not being limelight. A role player and a star at it. Fair call.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
It looked to me that he has been working on exploding from the contest. It was noticeable that he was not looking to immediately dispose of the ball but really power away from the contest.

If he is able to consistently break the lines this way he will become really damaging and totally different player to the one he has been.
same here, it appeared that he sprinted 3-4 steps each time and got clear of the pack. Judd-like. Was super to watch