Pick 53: Jack Graham | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 53: Jack Graham

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
If we bring in both Taranto and Hopper it does get hard to see where Graham fits. Certainly once Cotchin retires and with Dusty playing more forward he would be part of the rotations, but in 2023?

I'd want to hold on to Graham but he needs a role at least for next year.

DS

No crystal ball, but wouldnt surprise that in 2023, there will be:

1. More than a handful of games where BOTH Dion is out injured (hammy) and Cotch is out (managed/injured).
2. Games where Sonsie doesnt play - he looks good, but dont see him playing every game.
3. I'm different to many on this site - I didnt think Dusty would leave. But IMO, reckon he lost a lot of confidence. Keep reading ppl saying he has lost his hunger. For me, it's his confidence that looked shot. I'm not convinced its BAU in 2023.

Plenty of games right there for Jack in 2023.

Also, for me personally, whilst I am not sold on getting both TT and JH given the cost of 2 years of picks (and all along, I have preferred TT heads and shoulders above JH for anyone who reads my posts), these 2 trades only get our midfield back to an above average level given the age/wear and tear (and more games lost to injury) of Cotch, Dion and Dusty.

We acually need some outside young legs with real speed and class in the midfield.

Last edited:

tropicaltiger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Jan 11, 2003
cairns
Differing opinions is good. I differ from someone else re: Sydney Stack on another post.

All I am saying, robustly sure, is that its not hard to see we wont trade JGTI. Only if he asks to go, so yes, if he asks, we'd get an ok deal.
Cotch has 13-15 games left. Dion's injuries a massive worry. 3-4 hammies this year and it was claimed he had a great pre-season.
who is confident he wont do hammies next year?
Dusty's days playing more than 40% midfield time are gone IMO.

That's 3 mids needing replacement in 2024. Room for JGTI.

Who knows how we will be held to ransom by Shai's m/ment next year.

Could not agree more that RCd and Martyn are worth zero. Throw Castagna, Dow and Aarts into that category.

Stack is the one that could help unlock some value IMO. Not a lot of value, but something that will help. As posted on the other thread, we dont need him - we already have 2-3 options for Small F and small B.
And on 2nd thoughts, I'd trade out Dow too.
you're pretty much sayin then. that jack aint best 22 in 2023..........and when cotch gets injured or spelled and / or dion goes down, that jack will fill the void. im sayin jack will only even be half as good as those 2.

Brooklyn Tiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Geez Baker has really become the ugly duckling. 3 months ago RFC crucified for not contracting him quick enough. Now its for not letting him walk. Tough gig this place. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 7 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
you're pretty much sayin then. that jack aint best 22 in 2023..........and when cotch gets injured or spelled and / or dion goes down, that jack will fill the void. im sayin jack will only even be half as good as those 2.
not what I am saying at all, but up to you how you want to interpret things.

Also pretty obvious that having lived up to their Pick 2 and Pick 9 elite pick when they were drafted, it also stands to reason that Jack Graham, picked up at pick 53, is unlikely to be as good as those 2.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
If we bring in both Taranto and Hopper it does get hard to see where Graham fits. Certainly once Cotchin retires and with Dusty playing more forward he would be part of the rotations, but in 2023?

I'd want to hold on to Graham but he needs a role at least for next year.

DS
I agree, assuming we get them, if a fit Hopper, Taranto, Prestia, Martin and Cotchin with Sonsie and Ross in the wings and Bolton and MRJ pinch-hitting, it's hard to see where Graham fits in. I don't think he's had a huge amount of success in the midfield. Think he'd make a great defensive forward though but he's suddenly lineball for top 22.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
I agree, assuming we get them, if a fit Hopper, Taranto, Prestia, Martin and Cotchin with Sonsie and Ross in the wings and Bolton and MRJ pinch-hitting, it's hard to see where Graham fits in. I don't think he's had a huge amount of success in the midfield. Think he'd make a great defensive forward though but he's suddenly lineball for top 22.
End of the day , very seldom do you have a fully fit list at any given time ,

The depth should serve us well .

Reactions: 2 users

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
And we are a club, quoted ad nauseum, by our own coach, that does not look at the stats. But the Richmond man acts. Its been said many times this year, he has carried an injury all year and played through it, prob to his detriment.
Some may call it extreme defence.
Others - me - call it reading the room of how we have treated our ppl these last few years. And the value of our players to the team outside of the stats.
Great Post Bob... Jack is a Richmond Man and Dimma Knows it.
Would be staggered if we traded him (against his will).

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Could not agree more that RCd and Martyn are worth zero. Throw Castagna, Dow and Aarts into that category.
They aren't worth much more to the RFC either tbh.

The club already has last year's crop ahead of them.

Last edited:

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
If Jackson is going to dockers they got a Vic boy who can't get a game Meek speculation wants to come home and hit the wafl , sanfl you don't need a top class ruckman.
Don’t think we,ll be able to trade for Meek, we won’t have anything left in the kitty. There’s not much ruck options from the stand alone teams in the VFL (Tom Downie! or Liam Reidy from Frankston but I doubt either are genuine options). The premier ruck in the SANFL, Harry Boyd, is a 196cm guy who mainly played defence but played ruck for the first time this season.

The point being agree with your sentiment of getting a state league ruck but I don’t agree it’s easy. The cupboards a bit bare.

TGM

Tiger Rookie
Apr 6, 2009
Don’t think we,ll be able to trade for Meek, we won’t have anything left in the kitty. There’s not much ruck options from the stand alone teams in the VFL (Tom Downie! or Liam Reidy from Frankston but I doubt either are genuine options). The premier ruck in the SANFL, Harry Boyd, is a 196cm guy who mainly played defence but played ruck for the first time this season.

The point being agree with your sentiment of getting a state league ruck but I don’t agree it’s easy. The cupboards a bit bare.
What about McJesus? I just give myself an uppercut.

• Haha
  • Wow

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Surely a man of that talent could convert to a ruck
Just keep developing Miller as a spare. He fulfilled that role despite not training there. Train him on running patterns over summer so he improves as both a ruck and a resting forward. He's only ever trained as a back so he's raw in the roles he's now playing.

Reactions: 4 users

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
i was disappointed with grahams form this year

as it turns out, he was carrying a foot/toe injury so i hope he can come back a lot better next year

tropicaltiger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Jan 11, 2003
cairns
Agree but even with a couple out he's falling down the pecking order.
this is the elephant in the room..... scrapes into our best 26, perfect fit for the young crows, surely ain't gunna be captain material anymore with his form and injury issues. half glass full says he's awesome depth....half empty glass says he is a list clogger.