Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Same.
I thought he was alright until last year- when given the easiest job in footy he completely failed.
Hopefully he can continue on this path of being a competent footballer.
what's the easiest job in footy?

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Coming of age.

If we can get a good quality key defender out of Ben it's a great building block as we reset.

Makes the Balta move forward even more palatable.

Reactions: 3 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Pleased with this fella.
I tried defending him many times and thought he was good enough. After last year though I jumped off the wagon and wrote him off.
I'd be delighted if he played 150 games at full back for us.
Glad someone has finally tapped into his talents. Just hope '23 BM doesn't return.
I'm probs the same. Wasn't that he didn't have tools 6"5 runner who can leap and is a wonderful kick, that's the ideal template.

Didn't look like it was going to click. Now it has and all of a sudden, we might just have a building block. I'm not sold yet but I believe it's more possible than ever before with Ben Miller. At the ground on Sunday, was surprised at how confident he is looking, I think he believes.

Reactions: 5 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Even better, he's 6'6 (198cm). He's not going to be a Harris Andrews or Sam De Viking dominant interceptor but he has tools they don't, namely his run and skill. He also has what seems to be a good footy brain.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If we can lock in Ben and Godcus, alongside Brown, Trezise and Smith, that's almost an entire Next Gen backline of real pace and skill.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
what's the easiest job in footy?
3rd tall/2nd ruck.
All he had to do was compete up forward and be passable in the ruck. He achieved both at times but too often failed.

Anyway, he has certainly made a decent start to 2024 down back, it would be a huge bonus if it continues, cos as has been mentioned numerous times he has the size, speed, strength and skill to be a good footballer, and to handle the biggest forwards.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Notice Funky is on the extended bench again his form warrants him to be named as FB
Im pretty sure he will play, and im pretty sure he knows he will play, and im pretty sure he wont care where he is named on paper on a Thursday night.

Reactions: 1 user

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
I wonder if some of the resurgence of players like BM is the Yze method.
Dimma & evidently mini Dimma didn't see Miller as a KPD. All it took was a coach with common sense to play him in his natural position.

Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Dimma & evidently mini Dimma didn't see Miller as a KPD. All it took was a coach with common sense to play him in his natural position.
Miller was drafted as a forward ruck. He was played as a defender in 2022, but was shifted late to the back up ruck spot- it was either that or back to the VFL. In 2023 he played again as back up ruck. Again it was that or VFL. This year he started in the VFL, but was given a go when Gibcus, Young and Broad were all injured.

I dont reckon previous coaches can be blamed for Miller's inability to hold down a spot in the team, and it is only through others bad luck that he is in the team now. Hopefully he can hold his decent form.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
I dont reckon previous coaches can be blamed for Miller's inability to hold down a spot in the team, and it is only through others bad luck that he is in the team now. Hopefully he can hold his decent form.
Never said the coach is to blame for a player's inability to hold down a spot in the team. Playing them out of position certainly doesn't help. In 2022 Miller demonstrated enough to suggest he had the traits to translate into a permanent KPD, a position granted we seemingly didn't need one then nor last season. Tom Brown and Miller have proven even with other options that could be better, if played in their natural position its up to the coach to figure out a way to fit everyone in.

Now that Gibcus is out again and Balta playing forward when fit there is a need for him, so that is not a problem at this moment in time.

Reactions: 1 user

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I had Miller as my biggest improver for 2023 but this year he has done really really well.
Now we need another 2 or 3 to join him
Miller
Ross
Brown
????
???