Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Whilst i get the sentiment Harry I don't think him coming back straight away had anything to do with his ACL injury. He flew for the ball and landed badly. Could have happened in any game at any time.
He was stretched playing on those blokes early on and you are more susceptible to injury when tired and over exerting.

Reactions: 1 user

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
Miller has been excellent in the last 3 weeks, and really looks like he has made full back his own. Having been tried in so many positions over the last 2-3 years, he is back where it began for him, and he looks very comfortable there.

Reactions: 11 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Miller has been excellent in the last 3 weeks, and really looks like he has made full back his own. Having been tried in so many positions over the last 2-3 years, he is back where it began for him, and he looks very comfortable there.
Just give this man a 4 year deal now

If Kosi got 3 years Miller deserves 4 atleast

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Why would they pay holding frees? I thought they abolished that rule, if I see 30 seconds of any game without a player holding another player who is not in possession of the ball I figure play must have stopped.

Back on topic - Miller has taken great strides and is looking like a decent footballer and a good defender. He has been unconvincing for years and it is great to see the improvement. FFS don't move him around the ground, it is finally working for him.

DS
Good to see Ben's improvement when played in his ideal position and to see some love coming his way from PREnders. I thought I was the only one at times!
Maybe Rutten? coaching is the man to bring out the best in Ben

Reactions: 5 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Couldn’t have expected anymore from Big Ben. In fact it is more than I expected

Good on him.

Assuming Gibbo comes back ok I can see Miller staying in the team and playing the Astbury role. Maybe he isn’t as good as DTLD but he is doing a good impression of him atm.
Astbury was so reliable that you just expected him to win the ball so someone like that is hard to replace. If my Ben gets close to that standard then I will be happy

Last edited:

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Still have some lingering doubts but he's doing everything right so far early in the season.
Shouldn't be played anywhere but the backline from now on.

Reactions: 2 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Definitely found his spot. Playing within his limits but has scope to improve. Deserves another deal - good talls in the right role are hard to find.

code yellow and black

Tiger Rookie
Sep 21, 2014
Think he has been a real bonus. Every chance he cement’s a spot at FB and played there for another 10yrs. Moves well for a big guy and kicks really well. Would like him to get a bit stronger over the next year or two.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Pleased with this fella.
I tried defending him many times and thought he was good enough. After last year though I jumped off the wagon and wrote him off.
I'd be delighted if he played 150 games at full back for us.
Glad someone has finally tapped into his talents. Just hope '23 BM doesn't return.

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Good to see Ben's improvement when played in his ideal position and to see some love coming his way from PREnders. I thought I was the only one at times!
Maybe Rutten? coaching is the man to bring out the best in Ben

The thing is, he has always had the tools and a fair bit of the frustration is that we could see the talent and also see the talent not being realised.

The talent is now showing itself more and I think everyone is happy. Hope he keeps going.

DS

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Pleased with this fella.
I tried defending him many times and thought he was good enough. After last year though I jumped off the wagon and wrote him off.
Glad someone has finally tapped into his talents. Just hope '23 BM doesn't return.
Back on the Ben bandwagon?

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Back on the Ben bandwagon?
Not yet. Very hopeful my seat might be empty still, but need more than a couple of games too trust this isn't just a temporary lift when he's out of contract.

• Haha

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
The thing is, he has always had the tools and a fair bit of the frustration is that we could see the talent and also see the talent not being realised.

The talent is now showing itself more and I think everyone is happy. Hope he keeps going.

DS
Agree 💯 Lesson for us is to not try and make players something they aren’t. Fair enough to try him as a forward or relief ruck, but his natural position is clearly back.

Having a player of his height, athleticism and kicking ability in the back end is hugely beneficial. It’ll help Gibcus when he returns to play the Grimes (in his prime) role.

Reactions: 3 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham

DS
Miller, Young, Brown, Rioli & hopeful Gibcus that looks like a very good backline

Reactions: 1 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Ben is 24 & 6ft 5,inches. Imo he's just about to come into his prime. Oooze has settled him into full back & it seems has backed him in.
In previous years he's been flung all round the place & hasn't been able to settle into one position.
A bloke with his a size, athleticism & kicking ability will be very handy for the next however many years. I look forward to watching him blossom into a solid backman for us..

Reactions: 8 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Pleased with this fella.
Same.
I thought he was alright until last year- when given the easiest job in footy he completely failed.
Hopefully he can continue on this path of being a competent footballer.