Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I thought he’d play back to allow Balta as perma forward

I don't think we'd need another tall back. We went in with 1 too many on Thursday as Dimma was a bit timid with Gibcus.

Giants play 3 talls (all are 195) in Himmelberg, Riccardi and Brander. They can be covered by Tarrant, Gibcus, Grimes and Broad.

We will play Balta forward no matter what I expect with Jack out. It just depends if we go with a 3rd tall, or go a bit smaller. I hope we go with another runner, we can rest Nank / Soldo forward anyway.

Miller might come in if Nank doesn't play with whatever injury he was having scans on.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
FFS give him a go as a defender and see if he will make it. Otherwise why is he on the list?

DS

Reactions: 4 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Not sure you could say he is slow, at least not physically slow.

For someone his size, I think he ran under 2.9 seconds for 20m, which is very fast.
We need to make sure we develop him as a forward or back. We killed schulz by throwing him around everywhere. Some guys
can cope with it, some can't. He was always going to be a slow burn, given he barely trained as an under ager, but they need to
let him settle into one role.

Reactions: 3 users

RUNVS

Tiger Superstar
Aug 10, 2008
Ball watching too many times. Caught out too many times. IMO not up to AFL standard. Good for the VFL but not the AFL. Been at Tigerland a long time so I would rather blood Gibcus and Brown.

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Ball watching too many times. Caught out too many times. IMO not up to AFL standard. Good for the VFL but not the AFL. Been at Tigerland a long time so I would rather blood Gibcus and Brown.
Will have to watch the replay as I didn’t think he was that bad.

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Watched a different Miller to me, and Gibcus is already being blooded in front of Miller so don't understand your point there.

Reactions: 4 users

Pandaboy

Tiger Superstar
Mar 27, 2009
Good experience today, but really lacks intensity and sense of urgency. Needs a lot more mongrel in him.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
He's a decent kick but the question mark is his aerial game which is rather important as a key defender.

Reactions: 1 user

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
pretty weird thread to put up on a day where he did alright as part of a defence that helped win a game

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Will have to watch the replay as I didn’t think he was that bad.
He wasn't, did his job ok, does need a bit more intensity and mongrel but have watched the replay and did nothing sackable but will be replaced by Grimes if fit obviously

Reactions: 3 users

Letsroar

Tiger Superstar
May 19, 2014
For a second game key defender he kept his man quite and made few if any errors
Far to early to put a line through him
Hopefully he gets a few more games this year

Reactions: 7 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Made some good spoils, didn't get to a couple of contests, but a solid enough game.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
For physical confidence Ben Miller is way behind Mabior Chol. To this day. But just like Chol he keeps improving.

Ben is a 2.8 odd for 20m. If he wants to get there he can get there. Ben's biggest challenge in the past has been onfield engagement. Although there were times yesterday when Miller might have run faster he did a lot right. And crucially he got more urgent in the last quarter. This is an indication, not just of improvement, but of coachability.

Miller has Scanlan's skills and perfect DMBIH. If we can coach him for success he should be putting the jets on to run and receive. We got one of those yesterday. Just a little one. Ten would be nice. Ten faster and longer.

Every facet of Ben Miller's game can be improved. Massively. With confidence, experience and coaching. That ball watching we got yesterday, that slowness of response was an improvement. I'd like to see Ben Miller get a block of games right now.

NB if Mabior Chol frustrated you Ben Miller might drive you insane. ;)

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Ben was always a project player. Immature, underexposed at junior level. Lacking physical confidence, especially when it comes to raising his arms above his head when the ball is in the air. So he's 198 but plays small. Good thing he's quick, and has very tidy skills. He's been okay in two senior outings. Hopefully confidence will increase and we'll see him a bit more competitive in the air.

Reactions: 5 users