Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Didn’t put a foot wrong yesterday. One thing I noticed is he is very comfortable with ball in hand.

I have him ahead of Gibcus for a Round 1 spot.
Correct

Foward line consisting of Cameron , Hawkins , Ratugolea is a daunting task for a 1 game player and Miller didnt look out of place and with 30-50 games he would have more confidence in his game to take them on more.

I would start him ahead of Gibcus at this stage

Reactions: 5 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
With Covid and all we didn't get to see a lot of the development of Miller.

From the moment he was drafted he had freak athleticism (think Rotham) and perfect skills and immaculate decision making with ball.

For confidence he was always a long way behind Mabior. But he's three years younger. Ok, maybe he was behind in confidence anyway.

So we never got to see the Ben Miller we thought we might. You'd watch a VFL game and you knew Ben Miller could get there. But Ben Miller didn't get there. And if Ben Miller had got there he could have deployed those Scanlan's skills. But it was all academic.

It got less academic yesterday. At a level perhaps above VFL level Ben Miller showed us that he will get there. And then he showed us the Scanlan's skills. (We like them, don't we.)

There are maturity issues with Gibcus. For mine he plays every game n 2022 but who knows? Decision making. Timeliness. Gibcus.

And I think that Miller has to get a chance at AFL level (six weeks plus) if he can repeat next week.

Gibcus and, I hope, confident Miller look like the nucleus of a new backline. (Noah has to play forward/ruck.) Grimes will play. Probably small and zoning tall when he's got his victim on the canvas. So leaves Broad to feel the heat.

Unlike 2021 there is a lot of competition for spots this year. Times are happier than they are interesting. Not to say they're not interesting.

Reactions: 6 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
From watching yesterday's hit out I would put Miller ahead of Gibcus and dare I say it Tarrant. None were perfect but in my opinion Ben showed more. Gibcus will make it no doubt but Tarrant is a quandary. He has the tools but has he the desire?

Reactions: 3 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
I've gone from writing him off to seeing him as a 10 year player. He's come on in leaps and bounds and now possesses enough traits to be an AFL KPD. I agree he showed more than Gibcus and Tarrant. But i guess he spent less.time against Cameron and Hawkins (pains me to say I have a lot of respect for Hawkins. Just keeps on keeping on)

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Balta might have to go back as well unless Soldo starts in the 2's which he shouldn't as two rucks is a weapon for the Tigers.

Cant fit em all in.

Big Lad is Ben hopefully he comes on in 2022.

I'm sure the Eagles will be paying him attention if he starts getting regular games as will the Maggots.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Ben Miller has all the traits to become a AFL level player and i believe he is not just a backman but also a capable foward if required to play foward. Kid really has been held bck with the talent we have / had in previous years and hopefully he will get enough chances in 2022 to show his craft

Reactions: 7 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Ben Miller has all the traits to become a AFL level player and i believe he is not just a backman but also a capable foward if required to play foward. Kid really has been held bck with the talent we have / had in previous years and hopefully he will get enough chances in 2022 to show his craft
Agree 100%, a Kalgoorlie lad, who didn't have the pathway that a lot of youngsters have.
Covid hasn't helped his development either, I just love his foot skills.

Reactions: 3 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
If we start seeing Ben taking contested marks he will make it as I have commented previously it has been a bit of a weakness for a player of his size, now listed at 198cm that is true KPD size, would be a huge bonus if he can lock down a spot.
We haven't seen his run and carry capabilities yet, (he does have them), understandably just trying to do a job on an opponent initially.

Reactions: 6 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Miller comes across as introverted.
And plays that way. Or more accurately played that way.
Confidence is the key. As is player natural development.
I would start him in the seniors based on what I saw in R22 last year and his practice form on the proviso that he backs it up next week against the Hawks.
Pass that test and I reckon it’s onwards and upwards.
Would be a massive win for us if Ben becomes a quality regular senior player for us in the DTLD mould.
Massive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
Either through good form, injury or player management he will get opportunities in 2022. I expect Tarrant to be managed as he has not played a full season in a couple of years and if all goes well we we will play 25 games and although Balta's best position right now is in the backline, who better to learn forward craft then playing alongside Jack Riewoldt? Balta's learning also opens the door for Miller.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Played forward in the magoos.
Didn’t light it up and no sign of speed or a leap.
He’s a bit nowhere

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Played well against Dawks and Geelong as a backman but we’ll make him a forward

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user