Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
What if Biggie fails?

Biggie is only 20 so has more time on his side. This is Miller's fourth year and although he's improved since being drafted, has only shown glimpses of being a competent key defender. Unfortunately time's just about up for Ben.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Biggie is only 20 so has more time on his side. This is Miller's fourth year and although he's improved since being drafted, has only shown glimpses of being a competent key defender. Unfortunately time's just about up for Ben.
5th year but who’s counting?

Reactions: 1 user

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Maybe his 4th but in reality its only 2yrs with all the covid stuff.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
I think some to critical on Miller we all know he aren’t Rance etc he will be a stopper hasn't been bad the games his played st afl level still developing and for me to be patient with.

Macca68

I'm a llama!
Mar 30, 2003
I think Miller will take alot to win back the confidence of the selectors after that Adelaide game where he and Tarrant both got a hiding.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Maybe his 4th but in reality its only 2yrs with all the covid stuff.

that's true but I expected to see more from him by now.

He struggles when the ball is in the air, and for a player in height and position is a non-negotiable.

Unfortunately i think he'll go the same way as Todd Elton.

• Sad

code yellow and black

Tiger Rookie
Sep 21, 2014
I think some to critical on Miller we all know he aren’t Rance etc he will be a stopper hasn't been bad the games his played st afl level still developing and for me to be patient with.
I agree. And think it’s not biggie or miller as both play the game differently/roles seem to be different.

Maybe time to play miller forward (again) and c how he goes. At worst he might learn to be more attacking and improve his offensive game.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Millers problem is we ideally need more than just a stopper from our defenders - they need to be able to come across and help double team an apponent and also attack from defence and help run the ball out when required.

Gibs is perfect for this, Tarrant and Millar not quite as good.

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
that's true but I expected to see more from him by now.

He struggles when the ball is in the air, and for a player in height and position is a non-negotiable.

Unfortunately i think he'll go the same way as Todd Elton.
yeah.I think so as well.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
About the 26 minute mark of the second quarter in the Box Hill game Ben Miller shows why we kept him on the list for five years. He's a freak ball user.

In the first quarter he puts the jets on for 5m to stay in touch with a rampaging small (catches up easily) but eases when he can just bump the player over the line. Had he kept the jets on he could have lunged and got a tackle. Maybe a HTB. But he undercommitted.

Miller invariably under committed in a each aerial "contest". That's not always bad but he looks to be half hearted. We want Ben Miller to spend a month over committing to aerial contests. Just so he can test himself. And, God forbid, succeed.

For the first time I can recall Ben Miller actively ran to receive. (Kicked a goal!) That's the path of least resistance, Ben's preferred. Running to receive. Running of any kind is welcome. Perhaps the coaching panel can persuade Ben to run to receive forty times a game. He'd need a bigger tank - you get that by running.

But none of this is "contested work".

Morris publicly sent Miller to Seek in his most recent report. And voila! Miller showed a modicum of urgency. We got some progress.

More progress would be handy, what with the clock ticking and all. And next week is Ben's last chance to improve his contested work if we are to take Morris's most recent comment literally. Contest time.

Reactions: 9 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Well said Jack. The problem/restriction with his aerial work is he doesn't get air.

• Love

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
After watching Miller on Sunday, I think he might be the best match up we have for 2MP with Balta out.