Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Re: Ben "MACHINE GUN" Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

just think he has barely trained up to this point, huge upside with a pre season or 3 under his belt.

Blind Turn

Tiger Superstar
Mar 19, 2014

turk-d-tiger said:
All i know is playing as a foward the things i used to hate were

Defenders - 5-10cm taller than me , But thats ok i can get him on the lead and am more agile and will be faster due to making the move first
Miller will be taller and faster than most KPF as well as being more agile.

Ruckman - They hate the opposition rucks getting away from them and collecting possessions or kicking goals, It feels like its directly against you and you need to get that back - Not many Rucks that are going to keep up with Mr.Miller and he looks like he loves a goal

Playing as a foward he will give the defenders something really to worry about with his tools he has, What this kid needs to do is just get into the best physical condition he possibly can and become bigger faster and stronger - Then he needs to implement the Townsend template and become the better townsend and Hurt people both Physically and with his football

Just think about that guys - We could have a New version of Jacob Townsend
10cm -12cm Taller
15kgs heavier
alot more faster
Extremely agile Beast
That can jump high and mark over you

Don't worry Turk. You would have used your Tony Lockett sized arse to push him out

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004

turk-d-tiger said:

Defenders - 5-10cm taller than me , But thats ok i can get him on the lead and am more agile and will be faster due to making the move first

Ruckman - They hate the opposition rucks getting away from them and collecting possessions or kicking goals, It feels like its directly against you and you need to get that back - Not many Rucks that are going to keep up with Mr.Miller and he looks like he loves a goal

Playing as a foward he will give the defenders something really to worry about with his tools he has, What this kid needs to do is just get into the best physical condition he possibly can and become bigger faster and stronger - Then he needs to implement the Townsend template and become the better townsend and Hurt people both Physically and with his football

10cm -12cm Taller
15kgs heavier
alot more faster
Extremely agile Beast

You forgot can leap over tall buildings in a single bound. :cutelaugh :cutelaugh :cutelaugh

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang

turk-d-tiger said:

10cm -12cm Taller
15kgs heavier
alot more faster
Extremely agile Beast
One thing about tall forwards , no matter how much of an athletic freak they are if they don’t have footy nous they don’t survive, that’s the main reason I think Jacks going to be so hard to replace, we wouldn’t have won the flag without him, no other player on the list could have played his role. In saying that Miller looks a good prospect , especially for a late pick , for such an athlete there has to be a reason he got to 63.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

We've done well with picks in the 60s in the last few drafts:
2013 - Lloyd
2014 - Butler
2015 - Broad
2016 - (Garthwaite 72)
2017 - Miller

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne

Miller certainly has all the physical tools and know how to play the game

The main thing the fowards need is the hunger and mongrel to want the ball and kick goals and hurt the opposition on the score board

What Balta,Miller,Garth,Moore & Cj have that will be an advantage is the players they have at the club to learn from Rance,Riewoldt as well as good coaching in Truck & Leppa who were both great KPP.

These boys are all long term projects and not alot will be expected from them in the next 2-3 years sp have ample time to develop and learn

Our VFL games will be very interesting next year

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

And will be interesting to see which end they end up playing.
can see great value in miller as a key back. there is probably more chance he makes it there and with his speed, reach and agility he could be very solid.
With balta and garth they could be a super next generation to replace Rance, Astbury and Grimes when they retire.
As you say they have the defensive legends, except for scarlett, to learn from

the future looks bright

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004

tigerdell said:
And will be interesting to see which end they end up playing.
can see great value in miller as a key back. there is probably more chance he makes it there and with his speed, reach and agility he could be very solid.
With balta and garth they could be a super next generation to replace Rance, Astbury and Grimes when they retire.
As you say they have the defensive legends, except for scarlett, to learn from

the future looks bright

Can we try one of Balta or Miller or even both as a forward?
Someone has got to be ready to take over from Jack

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

btoz_01 said:
Can we try one of Balta or Miller or even both as a forward?
Someone has got to be ready to take over from Jack

Balta is apparently training as a forward.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang

IanG said:
Balta is apparently training as a forward.
I believe Chol is too, they maybe raw however there’s going to be a few tall options soon.

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne

What im liking about the talls that have been drafted is the Speed , Agility , Leap and desperado they have in them

Still think we are 2 195cm+ players short on the list but the Mix we are putting together is fantastic if these boys make it

Just think of the Ruck situation for example - We play Nank as the main Ruckman

CCJ - FF or can rotate with CJ to give Nank a chop out or just take the ruck duties in the Fwd 50
Balta - Chb and could take the Ruck when the balls in the backline so Nank drifts foward to create a mismatch on a quick turn over
Miller - Well with his agility,Leap & Pace he could effectively play the Lynch role adelaide have linking up between the arches

Really starting to love the 3 talls we drafted for what they can bring and Nankervis will be thinking 'Sweet'

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002

turk-d-tiger said:
Still think we are 2 195cm+ players short on the list but the Mix we are putting together is fantastic if these boys make it

Then that makes four players short if you include Hampson, Griffiths.
Unfortunately I can't see either one playing long term consistent football of an acceptable standard

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne

TigerMad said:
Then that makes four players short if you include Hampson, Griffiths.
Unfortunately I can't see either one playing long term consistent football of an acceptable standard

I had already considered both Hampson and Griffiths gone with needing 2 more talls

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London

Another great white hope.

The actual chances of this bloke making it are pretty slim.

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne

Midsy said:

Really ? I would have thought at pick #63 he would have been a certainty

I suppose we should re asses our options and see how we might get 4 1st round picks every year

Life and winning premierships is all about hope , If you want certainty - Work, Pay Taxes, and Die mate thats the only certainty in life

Mappa

Tiger Superstar
Jul 3, 2009

Midsy said:

Think there were about six guys in the premiership team who at one time or another were written off by experts.

Guess this Miller kid will play three hundred games on that basis

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

I mentioned today that I liked what I saw with Miller today at training so thought it was worth posting his BIO from the RFC website in case anyone has missed it:

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/player-profile/ben-miller

"Richmond selected tall utility Ben Miller from Kalgoorlie, WA with their final pick of the 2017 AFL Draft, pick no. 63 overall.

Miller, who is from Kalgoorlie, first displayed his playing talent as a key back for Western Australia in the 2015 under-16 carnival.

During the 2016 season, he played a few games at colts level with Subiaco, as a bottom-age player. This year, he again commuted from Kalgoorlie to play colts footy.

His form was impressive enough in 2017 for him to represent WA at the under-18 national championships, and he played all four games as a ruckman/forward.

Miller is an elite athlete, who was ranked in the top two at the AFL post-season Combine for both speed and agility.

Those attributes are evident in his football,along with an exceptional vertical leap, which enables him to successfully compete as a ruckman against taller opponents.

He also is an excellent penetrating kick and can be extremely damaging with ball in hand.

We feel Miller is still in the early stages of his football development and that he has huge scope for improvement in an AFL environment, considering what he has been able to achieve to this point, while being based in a remote location.

He’s a big, powerful kid, who has the speed, athleticism and skill to develop as a key-position player at either end of the ground".

Inside Football Draft Guide had the following rating classifications:

5. Elite
4.5 Excellent
4 Above Average
3-3.5 Competent
2.5 Below Average
1-2 Needs to Improve

Miller scored: Kicking Marking Accumulating Contested Ball Speed Agility Endurance Draft Range
3.5 3 3 3.5 4.5 4.5 3 Late Pick/Rookie

Impressive athlete, need to work out what the knock on him is to last till pick 63

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014

turk-d-tiger said:
I had already considered both Hampson and Griffiths gone with needing 2 more talls

So did the Hammer score an NFL kicking contract too? Not really surprised given his kicking ability. Oh well, but, as you say or imply in your prior post, we have CCJ, Balta and Miller all ready to go at AFL level as back-ups for Nank.

So it's cool; no worries at all if Nank goes down. Besides, we've got Grigga who can hold his own in the ruck too.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005

Kudos to Leon for living in a parallel universe where Hampson is relevant.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

lamb22 said:
Kudos to Leon for living in a parallel universe where Hampson is relevant.

If he's on the list he's relevant. Particularly so given he's a a ruckman