Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 63, 2017 Ben Miller - Welcome to Tigerland.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Late draft pick on a speculative tall from Kalgoorlie. Minimal junior development as he struggled to get to Perth for elite junior training sessions, was always going to be a long term developer. Then not long after we drafted him the covid *smile* hit the fan n completely cocked up the development n growth of many young players.
Got no idea where his ceiling is, but he's just starting to hit the age bracket where the taller players start to come on and establish themselves physically. Funky's not a premium elite pick at the top of the draft like the Kings or McKay's yet he's managed to get some senior games n fill holes for us. Another step up this year n I'm thinking he'll be showing enough to be a regular long term senior contributor. There's holes coming up in the side for a bloke his size n I'm thinking he can step up to filling one.
Not to mention we spent the first 2 years of his development training him as a kpd to replace Astbury

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Miller has all the physical tools to be a very good swing man.
It’s now purely mental. Confidence and a sense of belonging. Admittedly he could do with some mongrel

Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
That comment tells me you are massively overestimating Miller's ability.
By my estimate they both played 3rd tall forward and 2ruck 4 times. Both averaged .5 goals per game, were about equal for disposals (7/game) and Miller had more hitouts and score involvements.
I am sure Balta has more potential, but unfortunately in 2022 he did not show it. While he will probably never reach great heights, from my understanding Miller barely practiced in the role before being thrown in in desperation at half time against the Lions.

Reactions: 1 user

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Miller has all the physical tools to be a very good swing man.
It’s now purely mental. Confidence and a sense of belonging. Admittedly he could do with some mongrel
In the last few weeks he roared out from full forward and clunked a lovely over head mark and kicked the goal.

So I know where he plays in my paper team

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
I thought he showed quite a bit when he came into the seniors late in the year. Up until then I had no opinion as I hadn’t seen a lot of the VFL side play. Reckon he will turn into quite a useful player. Also held his own as a back up ruck I thought.

Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
In the last few weeks he roared out from full forward and clunked a lovely over head mark and kicked the goal.

So I know where he plays in my paper team
Barring injuries, he can’t play forward with Lynch, Riewoldt, Martin and Cumberland all up there.
Suggest he’s a Mr Fixit off the bench and changing with Nankervis as the relief ruck.

Letsroar

Tiger Superstar
May 19, 2014
Let’s be real here

The salary cap and expanded competition mean you don’t have a lot of full blown AFL players in the two’s

That is not just us but all teams

If you have a top 20 - 28 player who can relieve as a second ruck key forward or defender then you are ahead of every other team when the inevitable injury occurs

Not saying Ben is there yet but his improvement last year indicated that he could be

Reactions: 5 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Barring injuries, he can’t play forward with Lynch, Riewoldt, Martin and Cumberland all up there.
Suggest he’s a Mr Fixit off the bench and changing with Nankervis as the relief ruck.
Got me a funny feeling the Riewoldt bloke might nearly almost be cooked, so barring injuries 2023 there'll be a hole next year.
Probably gunna be another hole at the other end of the ground with Tarantula being a similar age to Jaaack.

Seriously hoping that the coach n match committee put as many games as possible into Funky this year. Doesn't really matter where, just get games into him n let him learn senior level footy.
No idea if he's gunna make it, but he's big enough, mobile enough, got ball skills enough to play the game. Just need to get some games into him then figure out where he fits our needs best.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
we are an impatient bunch here :)

but it has been a long wait , Ben was hardly sighted in the VFL in his first 2 years due to injuries
then comes the covid interrupted years

With Garthwaite now out of the way he did seem to be more present in the backline
and in 2 games he showed a little dominance one was V Box Hill and the other escapes me

Then in his AFL appearences he very much played his role, but with each game seemed to show a tad more

If Nank, Grimmes , Tarrant , Balta & Soldo are all available at the start of the season we probably wont see him in the 1sts as they are proven at level

But with his experience level now he should be able to have a much greater presence in the VFL , we wait some more
We might be a good bit stronger in the VFL this year which will also help Ben if he is controlling the backline

Reactions: 2 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
yes. I understand where TBR is coming from but there is an element of hyperbole in his statement that weakens the argument imo!!
One weakness that we have is that we need a 2nd ruck but our best 2nd ruck is Ivan Soldo who is somewhat limited in what he offers apart from rucking. The choice is between him and a more flexible "follower" type who can slot in as a KPP if one goes down. That's the role Miller played and it is also the role Biggie Nyuon was playing on and off in the vfl. Potentially it is also somewhere Samson Ryan can fit in although he is more of a forward/ruck
Having someone like Miller provides us with options if a key forward or key back goes down in game and also allows rotations of those players on the bench.
Great post.
At the end of last season it was Miller or Soldo and the match committee were choosing Machine gun.

Apart from a very special match in Brisbane in 2020, Balta hasnt set the 2nd ruck world on fire. Or forward. Most seem to prefer him back.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I am a firm believer that a big fullback type player is a key to defensive structure and ultimately a solid backline. I know we don't tend to see the big full forward types in the AFL as much these days, but a big fullback still seems to have a key role to play even if they aren't overly mobile.

I remember when we put Jarrod Silvester into our backline. He wasn't the long term answer, but I was amazed at how much better our backline looked structurally when he played. I know it was only 5 games, but we just looked so much more confident down there with a big full back on the park.

Rance and Grimes came on to the list around that time, but it wasn't until Dave Astbury finally started stringing some games together that those two really blossomed.

Robbie Tarrant was recruited specifically for that role. Hardwick and his assistants see the need for that type of player.

So my point in all this is that I see no heir apparent for Tarrant other than Miller. And while his football development might still have a little way to go, I thought we saw enough last year to suggest that even if he doesn't get any better from here, Ben Miller will fill a role in our backline into our future.

I can see a future backline of ours in a couple of years that has Gibcus playing the Grimes type role, Balta playing that Rance interceptor, and Miller being DTLD.
Awesome post..
Dont know if Miller is our future fullback but he sets us up if he makes it.
Gibcus, Balta. (insert Gorrilla here).

Last edited:

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Afraid not.

He played round 2 in place of Riewoldt, rounds 4 and 5 with Grimes and Gibcus out, Balta and Gibcus out in round 17, Lynch out 18 and 19, then Grimes out 21 onwards.

Is he in your best 22 ahead of any of them?

The only time you could argue he was picked in the best 22 was round 20 when he replaced Soldo, however he only played 71% of game time despite Grimes going down early and we didn't return to that selection model again for the rest of the year.

So no, not best 22 and never has been.
I see where ya coming from big fella.
Miller hasnt done much of anything yet, nor shown anything elite football wise.
Except a very nice hoof and pair of fast boots.
So he isnt picked before Tom n Jack up front, or Tarrant, Grimes, Balta or Gibbo (we cant play all of them anyway)

But structurally we looked better with a decent amateur relief ruck

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
How we utilise Ben this year really intrigues me.
He may play forward/ruck?
He may play in defence.
Depending on his improvement he may not play much at all.

For me?
I really liked some of what he showed up forward last season in a small sample. His aerial game was starting to click, he's strong & physical & a neat kick.
May not be a star but can see a role.
We have Grimes, Broad, Balta, Gibcus, Tarrant, Nyuon to play down back..ample options.
We also have an aging Jack Riewoldt & Tom Lynch who's been injured pre season as key forwards.
Won't be at all surprised if he's training as a forward option this preseason..
It's damn well worth persevering with IMO & seeing where it goes..

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
How we utilise Ben this year really intrigues me.
He may play forward/ruck?
He may play in defence.
Depending on his improvement he may not play much at all.

For me?
I really liked some of what he showed up forward last season in a small sample. His aerial game was starting to click, he's strong & physical & a neat kick.
May not be a star but can see a role.
We have Grimes, Broad, Balta, Gibcus, Tarrant, Nyuon to play down back..ample options.
We also have an aging Jack Riewoldt & Tom Lynch who's been injured pre season as key forwards.
Won't be at all surprised if he's training as a forward option this preseason..
It's damn well worth persevering with IMO & seeing where it goes..
The 2nd ruck position is the most intriguing.
Do we go a true ruckman like Soldo to give Nanks a chop out for 10 minutes of each quarter or do we play Miller who can fill a variety of positions but most likely ruck and forward?
Miller gives us a lot more flexibility but they may want to play Soldo into form.
Would think it has to be one or the other

Reactions: 3 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
The 2nd ruck position is the most intriguing.
Do we go a true ruckman like Soldo to give Nanks a chop out for 10 minutes of each quarter or do we play Miller who can fill a variety of positions but most likely ruck and forward?
Miller gives us a lot more flexibility but they may want to play Soldo into form.
Would think it has to be one or the other
I want Miller in the team than Soldo

He gives the team alot more flexibility being able to play defence and foward as well as 20% Ruck time
Also provides an option to throw Gibcus/Balta foward and push Vlastuin/Broad further up the ground

Reactions: 4 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
They tried to ship out Soldo over the off season. He wouldn’t budge though. Might be a sign they think Miller will work as a back up ruck.
Funny thing is if Nank goes down with an injury - no way Miller becomes first ruck. So there is that caveat.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
They tried to ship out Soldo over the off season. He wouldn’t budge though. Might be a sign they think Miller will work as a back up ruck.
Funny thing is if Nank goes down with an injury - no way Miller becomes first ruck. So there is that caveat.
There's also Ryan in the wings who'll be looking for opportunity.

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
With Soldo as first ruck and Miller as second, our ruck division would be strong and flexible. A genuine tap ruckman who can nullify the opposition big boys, and can float forward and pinch a goal, backed up by a flexible, athletic ruck who can hold his own in a contest and play multiple positions.