Poll on Thursday Night Footy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Poll on Thursday Night Footy

How Many Footy games Should Be Played on Thursday Night?

• 0-1 (Round 1 only)

Votes: 71 59.2%
  • The same as it has been in recent seasons (Approx 8-9)

Votes: 18 15.0%
  • More than it is now (as many as 18)

Votes: 31 25.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Yes I know that and its the same point I'm making.

If you can get the same TV audience for a Thursday night game at Geelong with say 17k fans compared to 20k at the G, but get 20k fans at the G compared to 10-15k GMHBA stadium on a weekend, why wouldn't you?

You would have an additional 5-10k paying fans (either paying for tickets or for food / beverage / merch / footy records, why would you not want that if you get the same TV audience either way? Overall, its increased revenue regardless.

I see now, I think the issue with your argument is getting the same TV audience.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The crowd makes the atmosphere which makes the game. If it's about TV ratings then have games on every night and bring back the fake crowd noise they had during covid.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I see now, I think the issue with your argument is getting the same TV audience.

It would be good to be able to see what the differences are and compare them to if they are standalone games or if they are competing games at the same time as that impacts a lot of the Saturday night TV audiences.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It is noticeable that those supporting Thursday night football are those who watch on TV and don't turn up.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
It is noticeable that those supporting Thursday night football are those who watch on TV and don't turn up.

DS

True in my case.

I don’t mind it, but then living in WA means I don’t go to any game other than over here.

The funny thing is, I prefer Thursday and Friday night games as even though watching on TV, I find them less disrupting to my weekend than Saturday or Sunday games.

But it would be a different story if I lived in Victoria and could go to games.

I think I’d hate it then.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I like Friday night, still like Saturday arvo too but Friday night suits me fine. Game starts later and I can get home from work and off to the ground without issue.

DS

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Looks like Thursday night footy is here to stay with a permanent fixture back on the media agenda which means it's already been actioned & they're just softening us up.
So bad for hardcore club members. Especially Richmond members. They love to put us on a Thursday night.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Looks like Thursday night footy is here to stay with a permanent fixture bback on the media agenda which means it's already been actioned & they're just softening us up.
So bad for hardcore club members. Especially Richmond members. They love to put us on a Thursday night.
One game this season (rounds 16 to 23 tba)
last year both Carl games plus Port away.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Looks like Thursday night footy is here to stay with a permanent fixture bback on the media agenda which means it's already been actioned & they're just softening us up.

Don't mind Thursday night games so long as we don't play. Enjoy coming home and watching a neutral game.

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Don't mind Thursday night games so long as we don't play. Enjoy coming home and watching a neutral game.
Same. I love it, watched the Panthers-Rabbits game last night which was an absolute cracker. The AFL will lose viewers to rugby league the more they can showcase their game (especially with games like last night) whilst no AFL on.

And rugby is maintaining the physical aspect, crucial to traditional AFL supporters.