Possible Late Picks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Possible Late Picks

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Thought I'd start a thread on talent we think we might be able to grab late in the draft.

There is a kid from over here where I live (Albany, WA) who would be worth a serious look at pick 50 if still around.

His name is Brenden Abbott. Really good size (between 185cm and 189cm depending on who you believe), fearless and a big unit to go with it (92kgs). Has played against men in the local comp the last couple of years cause he would have killed most kids his own age down here. Blistering pace (2.87 seconds in 20m sprint at recent state trials). Beautiful kick of the pill on both sides of the body, and sharp with the handball as well. Played HBF for state u16s last year and was very effective. Was also named as one of the captains of that side. Was selected in U18 side this year, but did not play, see reasons below.

Knocks on him are as follows:

1. Lacks endurance. Poor performance on the beep test at recent state trials.
2. Very prone to homesickness. Returned to Albany from Claremont mid year due to this, and subsequently missed the u18 champs and AFL draft camp screening.
3. Had a tough upbringing. Yes, I believe he is related to the other Brenden Abbott (only been told this, never asked him myself).
4. Would need a lot of support from the club. This has been evident even down here in Albany. Not that he is a bad kid, just has a lot to learn.

I had intended to keep this info to myself and let the club know, but I found out the other day that 4 AFL clubs have spoken to him about being a late draft pick, rookie selection.

Anyway, I have spoken to him a few times and he seems a really nice kid. As per point 2 above, trying to find his way in the world. I know he was personally really disappointed that he couldn't stick it out at Claremont which has cost him a lot, and is desperate for another chance to show AFL recruiters what he could do.

This kid has 'X' factor written all over him. Could be something really special if he goes to the right club. And given what we have achieved with Dusty, I'd say we would be a good fit.

Sounds like an interesting prospect Streak. Fair number of question marks though, perhaps more a rookie type than ND?

Nathan Gordon is another one, been mentioned on here. Mature age SANFL mid/fwd formerly listed with the Swans, apparently we've spoken to him

sounds like he needs to show he can work hard to achieve success - state comps will be his go, if he can master that he may get a chance in a few years.

Struggling to make the transition from Albany to Claremont and packing up to go home mid season doesn't bode well for a kid dreaming of an AFL opportunity. Would think that expecting him to make the transition to an interstate AFL club with with far higher intensity and expectation would be a recipe for disaster. Not so much for the club but the kid, perhaps he'd be one to consider in a couple of years after he's had the chance to mature a little bit.

Streak said:
I had intended to keep this info to myself and let the club know, but I found out the other day that 4 AFL clubs have spoken to him about being a late draft pick, rookie selection.

I asume you will still let the club know?
They need all the spotters out there - cant cover everyone.

Streak said:

people often mistakenly think pre is an official club website and send me info about players they think we should be looking out for. i also get resumes emailed from people asking permission to train with the club in hopes of being drafted.

rosy23 said:
people often mistakenly think pre is an official club website and send me info about players they think we should be looking out for. i also get resumes emailed from people asking permission to train with the club in hopes of being drafted.

:hihi that is quite funny really but I must admit when I first found this site, I thought it was part of the club :-[

Sorry are we not allowed to post videos from AFL site either? Apologies if that's the case, thought it was just articles?

rosy23 said:

Can I send you my CV Rosy? I am happy to go one year at a time
Over three years I can guarantee them at least the same as what they got out of Derickx

Abbott's video is up on the Voldemor site. Impressive unit; quick and powerful and a great kick.

WesternTiger said:
Any idea who Nathan Batsanisn is? Was training with the RFC in the photos of todays session.
Nathan Batsanis is a Port Melbourne player. Played for Norwood as well. Was a Port Adelaide rookie. I'd like him as a rookie.

tigertim said:
Nathan Batsanis is a Port Melbourne player. Played for Norwood as well. Was a Port Adelaide rookie. I'd like him as a rookie.

Interesting , I think we discussed him earlier and he apparently signed up for suburban football. I like this development because it means we are sizing up state league talent.

bullus_hit said:
Interesting , I think we discussed him earlier and he apparently signed up for suburban football. I like this development because it means we are sizing up state league talent.
Yeah, someone said he had signed to a suburban club but as you say it's good to see we are exploring the SLRs with Batsanis and Michaelides.

tigertim said:

25 years old. Was a highly touted recruit for Port Melbourne this year and his form was only so-so.

His best game was against the Burg though, maybe someone gained some insight from that game about what he'd bring at the next level??

Theres an article on the site that shall not be named talking about us possibly giving Batsanis a second chance. Also said we were weighing up whether or not to use pick 68 in the ND. I don't know if it was alluding to using that pick on Batsanis or it was totally unrelated.

The article said he made an impact at training, but we may just be looking at him for our VFL side.

Whats the consensus on where Chris Cain will go.

We'd be mad to overlook him if he's there at 50.

Would start Rd 1 & get 18 plus games with us next year if we take him ILO. The guy can really play.