Praccie matches - The other games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Praccie matches - The other games

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
I say again, why man the mark? If the whole point is to encourage blokes to play on from marks and free kicks simply abandon defensive marking. The game is not going to magically revert back to 1993. A high score now is around 100pts. If they want closer games that's probably a good thing.

Reactions: 1 user

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Why don't we get rid of the man on the mark and have a special umpire in a banana suit that comes on and stands the mark instead and the player has to kick over him.
Yes a bit like calling in a fluffer... bring out the banana suit sponsored by Sportsbet. The rule is obviously about taking the defender on the mark out of play. He's totally ineffectual and the rule makes sure a team can't decide to sag him on the mark or collapse back.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Geez good luck to the Kangas membership and sales department after this weekend I think they might hit 2021 with a decline in numbers.

I hope their coach can do the job.

They need someone with some experience but also the ability to sell the club and control the media twits.

Maybe they just didnt have the cash to attract that type.
Merge

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
And yet it isn’t being used in the AFLW, because apparently according to Hocking, the ladies don’t move on the mark. Does this guy even listen to the garbage he says?
SHocking is the biggest *smile* idiot to hold a senior job at the AFL. It’s some achievement because it is a 1992 Cox Plate field.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
SHocking is the biggest *smile* idiot to hold a senior job at the AFL. It’s some achievement because it is a 1992 Cox Plate field.
Yep Every Administrator has found a way to make their mark by @^@@^%#%&@@ the game up.

And I thought Anderson was a First Class Muppet.

Hocking played 200 games in the 80s and 90s.

Seriously for a guy that has that on his CV he seemingly has no feel for the game or the peoples opinion.

Bowing to the Corporate s as they all do, same as counselors and Politicians all corrupt as #&#&%# bought and paid for.

dmc

Kick it long and direct!
Feb 5, 2004
Ohio, USA
Can you elect not to "man" the mark? I suspect that in certain situations teams will choose not to man the mark and zone yhrit players to the corridor to force the ball wide. By round 3 or 4 the coaches will have found a way to make this rule somewhat redundant I think.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I say again, why man the mark? If the whole point is to encourage blokes to play on from marks and free kicks simply abandon defensive marking. The game is not going to magically revert back to 1993. A high score now is around 100pts. If they want closer games that's probably a good thing.
Yep and I’m betting come the season proper we’ll see plenty of clubs do exactly that. Could end up turning into a major farce.

On scoring. The problem with all the recent rule changes are that none of them actually incentivize scoring. They just encourage coaches to come up with new defensive tactics to overcome the new rules and further limit opposition scoring opportunities.

The AFL need to reconsider the 9pt rule if they are so set on increasing scoring. It will take time but eventually coaches will change their structures and tactics to try an dexploit the scoring bonus from kicking a goal outside 50. It will also open up scoring opportunities closer to goal as defenders will need to cover more territory and forwards will have more room to work in.

Reactions: 1 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Can you elect not to "man" the mark? I suspect that in certain situations teams will choose not to man the mark and zone yhrit players to the corridor to force the ball wide. By round 3 or 4 the coaches will have found a way to make this rule somewhat redundant I think.
if we are playing Lambert more forward are we thinking as players who have taken a mark and play on more under the new rule
will be targets to run down from behind ?? (Rioli , George , Lambert , Aarts would be good in that dept. )

then they'll change the rules again :)

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yep and I’m betting come the season proper we’ll see plenty of clubs do exactly that. Could end up turning into a major farce.

On scoring. The problem with all the recent rule changes are that none of them actually incentivize scoring. They just encourage coaches to come up with new defensive tactics to overcome the new rules and further limit opposition scoring opportunities.

The AFL need to reconsider the 9pt rule if they are so set on increasing scoring. It will take time but eventually coaches will change their structures and tactics to try an dexploit the scoring bonus from kicking a goal outside 50. It will also open up scoring opportunities closer to goal as defenders will need to cover more territory and forwards will have more room to work in.

I just wish they'd leave it alone and realise that more scoring doesn't always lead to a better game.

I mean do people really want to see 100 point thrashings or is it better to see 2 scores in the 70's or 80's but a closer game.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I just wish they'd leave it alone and realise that more scoring doesn't always lead to a better game.

I mean do people really want to see 100 point thrashings or is it better to see 2 scores in the 70's or 80's but a closer game.

I absolutely loved the 2019 Grand Final

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
No no no.

It would kill off the key forward. Every team would have six Matt Sucklings camped outside the 50. They'd chip it around until they got a clear shot. Look at the way the NBA has changed with everyone bombing from outside the arc. It's higher-scoring and less watchable than ever.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I get the general intent of the rule, but you can see it will be a farce. Presumably Richmond will get paid 6 of them against us in the first game against Carlton to keep the match close, and then Gil will come out and say there should be some umpires discretion and six will get paid for the rest of the year.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I get the general intent of the rule, but you can see it will be a farce. Presumably Richmond will get paid 6 of them against us in the first game against Carlton to keep the match close, and then Gil will come out and say there should be some umpires discretion and six will get paid for the rest of the year.
If Richmond don't win the Premiership the rule will have been deemed to be a success ;)

Reactions: 4 users

MorrisMinor

Tiger Rookie
Mar 24, 2014
The rule is trivial - the penalty is the problem. A gifted goal is not entertaining football no matter which team benefits.

Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
No one has said what teams will a have an open advantage with this rule.
They said the 6,6,6 rule would advantage the 'strong midfield' sides.
They said the kick in rule will be an advantage to the teams that will prefer going quick and long.

None of these rules have bent us over.
So i don't really care

gutfull

Tiger Superstar
Jul 6, 2013
Port v Tigers preliminary 6 goals apiece tell me THAT game was poor ?????

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Port v Tigers preliminary 6 goals apiece tell me THAT game was poor ?????
That was a great game, and it proves that just because a game is low scoring doesn’t mean it’s a poor spectacle. It’s also true that some high scoring games can be quite boring.