PRE 2017 Phantom Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

PRE 2017 Phantom Draft

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
North come late for Stefan Giro. Pocket rocket at 175cm & 72kg who ran a blistering 2.92 over the 20 and an outstanding 22.3 in the yo-yo at the testing. (Think it’s high 14’s low 15 in the old beep). The perfect type to apply forward pressure but he has a thumping left foot. Has been carving it up in the SANFL reserves and is a true rover who knows how to win the footy.

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
Sydney with our last pick selects Billy Hartung

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
SCOOP said:
North come late for Stefan Giro. Pocket rocket at 175cm & 72kg who ran a blistering 2.92 over the 20 and an outstanding 22.3 in the yo-yo at the testing. (Think it’s high 14’s low 15 in the old beep). The perfect type to apply forward pressure but he has a thumping left foot. Has been carving it up in the SANFL reserves and is a true rover who knows how to win the footy.

He was my other fancied small forward, good pick, pretty sure he gets drafted.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
bullus_hit said:
He was my other fancied small forward, good pick, pretty sure he gets drafted.

I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t. Genuine ball winner who kicks goals. I’ve been tossing him up the last two picks.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Melbourne elevate Corey Maynard from its rookie list and select Shaun Mannagh (Richmond VFL) and Derrick Smith (Richmond Academy) as rookies

footballmonk

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 7, 2008
Geelong sign delisted Freo defender Sam Collins. Thought about re-drafting Tom Ruggles, but Collins probably offers more and is ready to go with Lonergan and Mackie retired.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Can Richmond Match Derek Smith ? If So we would take him as he was going to be my 2nd Rookie

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
ADELAIDE

13. Jack Higgins
39. Zac Bailey

Only two selections here for the Crows but both have hit the mark superbly. Jack Higgins has been one of my favourite players for two years running, fact is I have never seen him play a bad game. Sounds like hyperbole but Champion Data backs that up with Higgins registering 100 Supercoach points in 30 out of his last 32 games. Just for good measure he won the Morrish Medal & dominated the state carnival being the player with the highest contested possession count. Put simply he is a pure footballer who is almost certain to succeed at the highest level. I would even be prepared to use a top 10 pick on him despite being under the 180cm mark.

Zac Bailey is another fine selection and has really developed his game to the point where I would slot him straight into an AFL side in a Rory Laird type role. His evasion and lateral movement is one of the best in the draft and if by chance he slips to pick 39 the club who takes him should be doing cartwheels Peter Wilson style. Pity about the Edwards shafting, the Crows made an error of judgement in needling the Richmond selectors over Patrick Naish. In any case they have done well overall.

Grade - B+

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
bullus_hit said:
ADELAIDE

13. Jack Higgins
39. Zac Bailey

Only two selections here for the Crows but both have hit the mark superbly. Jack Higgins has been one of my favourite players for two years running, fact is I have never seen him play a bad game. Sounds like hyperbole but Champion Data backs that up with Higgins registering 100 Supercoach points in 30 out of his last 32 games. Just for good measure he won the Morrish Medal & dominated the state carnival being the player with the highest contested possession count. Put simply he is a pure footballer who is almost certain to succeed at the highest level. I would even be prepared to use a top 10 pick on him despite being under the 180cm mark.

Zac Bailey is another fine selection and has really developed his game to the point where I would slot him straight into an AFL side in a Rory Laird type role. His evasion and lateral movement is one of the best in the draft and if by chance he slips to pick 39 the club who takes him should be doing cartwheels Peter Wilson style. Pity about the Edwards shafting, the Crows made an error of judgement in needling the Richmond selectors over Patrick Naish. In any case they have done well overall.

Grade - B+

Awright! I'm giving up my day job! Thanks Bully, enjoyed it. can't take any credit for Jack, just looked at a couple of phantom top20s, but actually did some homework and love zac. reckon Turk done me like a dinner on the F/S, backfired big time.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
BRISBANE

1. Luke Davies-Uniacke
16. Noah Balta
17. Conner Ballenden
40. Hugh Dixon
44. Jake Patmore
52. Brayden Ainsworth

Going into this draft Brisbane had a clear mandate, replace the defectors and add to an ailing midfield. On both counts I believe they have achieved their aims with distinction. In recruiting Davies-Uniacke the loss of Tom Rockliff will be easily covered, LDU is the best inside player in the draft and brings a little bit of Dangerfield dash to a one-paced onball division. With Noah Balta they plan on using him in a Blicavs type role to provide support for Stef Martin, Balta is a supreme athlete with pace & outstanding leap. His kicking range is also elite so will be a constant threat from outside the arc. Ballenden, has probably been harshly judged this year, at one point he was in the conversation at pick 1 but never truly dominated any game. His intercept marking is a definite strength and his field kicking is also excellent for a big fella. Whilst he needs to work on his tank I think pick 17 is a bit of a steal. One could also expect to see him thrown forward from time to time.

The last three picks are a bit more speculative but all three players have a decent shot at being AFL regulars. Hugh Dixon has flown under the radar due to being hidden away in the Apple Isle, his carnival was pretty good all things considered and I believe was consistent enough to earn All-Australian honours. With Schache gone Dixon steps into the full forward role and despite not having Josh's superior athleticism, he makes up for that with footy smarts and a touch of x-factor. Without putting the kiss of death on the young fella there's a few similarities with another Tasmanian key forward who just added a premiership medallion to his trophy cabinet.

With Hanley recently departed the Lions were also looking for another slick outside runner to support Alex Witherden. In picking Patmore they hope to turn him into something of a Shaun Burgoyne clone, his running patterns and kicking style are particularly reminiscent of the Hawks veteran. Jake is also a ball magnet, his Colts numbers were through the roof with games of 48, 42 & 39 possessions. Brayden Ainsworth is also a good pick-up late in the draft, not only was he the leading clearance player at state level, he performed exceptionally well in the WAFL reserves.

Grade : Not Rated

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
tigersnake said:
Awright! I'm giving up my day job! Thanks Bully, enjoyed it. can't take any credit for Jack, just looked at a couple of phantom top20s, but actually did some homework and love zac. reckon Turk done me like a dinner on the F/S, backfired big time.

Must say that felt Sooo Good lol

All in fun - great to participate

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
bullus_hit said:
BRISBANE

1. Luke Davies-Uniacke
16. Noah Balta
17. Conner Ballenden
40. Hugh Dixon
44. Jake Patmore
52. Brayden Ainsworth

Going into this draft Brisbane had a clear mandate, replace the defectors and add to an ailing midfield. On both counts I believe they have achieved their aims with distinction. In recruiting Davies-Uniacke the loss of Tom Rockliff will be easily covered, LDU is the best inside player in the draft and brings a little bit of Dangerfield dash to a one-paced onball division. With Noah Balta they plan on using him in a Blicavs type role to provide support for Stef Martin, Balta is a supreme athlete with pace & outstanding leap. His kicking range is also elite so will be a constant threat from outside the arc. Ballenden, has probably been harshly judged this year, at one point he was in the conversation at pick 1 but never truly dominated any game. His intercept marking is a definite strength and his field kicking is also excellent for a big fella. Whilst he needs to work on his tank I think pick 17 is a bit of a steal. One could also expect to see him thrown forward from time to time.

The last three picks are a bit more speculative but all three players have a decent shot at being AFL regulars. Hugh Dixon has flown under the radar due to being hidden away in the Apple Isle, his carnival was pretty good all things considered and I believe was consistent enough to earn All-Australian honours. With Schache gone Dixon steps into the full forward role and despite not having Josh's superior athleticism, he makes up for that with footy smarts and a touch of x-factor. Without putting the kiss of death on the young fella there's a few similarities with another Tasmanian key forward who just added a premiership medallion to his trophy cabinet.

With Hanley recently departed the Lions were also looking for another slick outside runner to support Alex Witherden. In picking Patmore they hope to turn him into something of a Shaun Burgoyne clone, his running patterns and kicking style are particularly reminiscent of the Hawks veteran. Jake is also a ball magnet, his Colts numbers were through the roof with games of 48, 42 & 39 possessions. Brayden Ainsworth is also a good pick-up late in the draft, not only was he the leading clearance player at state level, he performed exceptionally well in the WAFL reserves.

Grade : Not Rated

Rated A - IMO

LDU - Whilst i would have selected Rayner here i can understand the reasoning why Brisbane would go for him and probably the correct choice
Balta - Really good pick if a tall is the flavour for Brisbane , I was hoping he would be available to Richmond
Ballenden - This was a given and Brisbane must take the home grown talent when it presents
Dixon - Probably the only selection i would not agree with here as its 1 too many talls imo
Patmore - Tick
Ainsworth - At pick #52 he is a really good selection

Done well mate

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
turk-d-tiger said:
Rated A - IMO

LDU - Whilst i would have selected Rayner here i can understand the reasoning why Brisbane would go for him and probably the correct choice
Balta - Really good pick if a tall is the flavour for Brisbane , I was hoping he would be available to Richmond
Ballenden - This was a given and Brisbane must take the home grown talent when it presents
Dixon - Probably the only selection i would not agree with here as its 1 too many talls imo
Patmore - Tick
Ainsworth - At pick #52 he is a really good selection

Done well mate

Cheers, Turk. I also had to take into account Charlie Cameron & Luke Hodge when addressing the list balance. So out of 8 new faces I've got the following -

2 x inside midfielders (LDU & Ainsworth)
2 x outside midfielders (Cameron & Patmore)
1 x KPD (Ballenden)
1 x KPF (Dixon)
1 x Tall Utility/2nd Ruck (Balta)
1 x Medium Defender (Hodge)

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
CARLTON

3. Cameron Rayner
10. Nicholas Coffield
30. Nathan Murphy
73. Adam Sambono

Rookie - Kane Farrell

At pick 3 Carlton have gone with Cam Rayner and I feel this is the smart choice. Rayner is an explosive player aptly named 'Hollywood' by his coaches at TAC level, he's the type who can flip a game on it's head in the space of minutes, quite often in heavy congestion. This is probably where he differs from the other brilliant playmaker in Stephenson, his contested work is up around the 60% mark, a figure which places him in the elite category. This is precisely what Carlton require & despite the question marks surrounding his endurance, the fact that Carlton have two top ten picks makes this decision a no-brainer. At worst Rayner becomes an elite half forward, at best he becomes a high production mid in the tradition of Dustin Martin.

Carlton's selection at 10 is also commendable, Nick Coffield is a smooth mover who looks & plays a bit like Scott Pendlebury. No surprises to hear that he also comes from a basketball background. Whilst his contested possession ratio was low at the beginning of the year, this has steadily improved in line with his midfield minutes. At a minimum he becomes Kade Simpson's heir apparent, at best he joins the midfield and starts raking in 25+ possessions a game. Given his athleticism I'm reasonably confident of the latter. Murphy at 30 is a bit of a steal, there's even some chance he gets selected before Coffield which would make this haul all the more impressive. Whilst slightly speculative Murphy has always divided his time between cricket & football so the upside is significant.

The last two picks of Sambono & Farrell are difficult to predict in terms of AFL longevity but I'm confident that both will find they way onto an AFL list. Whilst not purebred midfielders they should start their careers on flanks and work towards joining the rotations. If I'm to be hyper critical about this haul it would be the lack of true midfielders. With the loss of Gibbs & an ageing Murphy it may well be that Carlton inhabits the cellar until guys like Rayner & Coffield can step up to the plate. With next year's draft being a bumper crop that may not necessarily be a bad thing.

Grade: A

Tails

Still Chasing Dreams
Mar 10, 2007
Sydney, Australia
bullus_hit said:
CARLTON

3. Cameron Rayner
10. Nicholas Coffield
30. Nathan Murphy
73. Adam Sambono

Rookie - Kane Farrell

At pick 3 Carlton have gone with Cam Rayner and I feel this is the smart choice. Rayner is an explosive player aptly named 'Hollywood' by his coaches at TAC level, he's the type who can flip a game on it's head in the space of minutes, quite often in heavy congestion. This is probably where he differs from the other brilliant playmaker in Stephenson, his contested work is up around the 60% mark, a figure which places him in the elite category. This is precisely what Carlton require & despite the question marks surrounding his endurance, the fact that Carlton have two top ten picks makes this decision a no-brainer. At worst Rayner becomes an elite half forward, at best he becomes a high production mid in the tradition of Dustin Martin.

Carlton's selection at 10 is also commendable, Nick Coffield is a smooth mover who looks & plays a bit like Scott Pendlebury. No surprises to hear that he also comes from a basketball background. Whilst his contested possession ratio was low at the beginning of the year, this has steadily improved in line with his midfield minutes. At a minimum he becomes Kade Simpson's heir apparent, at best he joins the midfield and starts raking in 25+ possessions a game. Given his athleticism I'm reasonably confident of the latter. Murphy at 30 is a bit of a steal, there's even some chance he gets selected before Coffield which would make this haul all the more impressive. Whilst slightly speculative Murphy has always divided his time between cricket & football so the upside is significant.

The last two picks of Sambono & Farrell are difficult to predict in terms of AFL longevity but I'm confident that both will find they way onto an AFL list. Whilst not purebred midfielders they should start their careers on flanks and work towards joining the rotations. If I'm to be hyper critical about this haul it would be the lack of true midfielders. With the loss of Gibbs & an ageing Murphy it may well be that Carlton inhabits the cellar until guys like Rayner & Coffield can step up to the plate. With next year's draft being a bumper crop that may not necessarily be a bad thing.

Sambono won't make it, is an overager who has failed at the higher levels everytime I've seen him. Can't understand the hype about him really.

Tails

Still Chasing Dreams
Mar 10, 2007
Sydney, Australia
bullus_hit said:
Cheers, Turk. I also had to take into account Charlie Cameron & Luke Hodge when addressing the list balance. So out of 8 new faces I've got the following -

2 x inside midfielders (LDU & Ainsworth)
2 x outside midfielders (Cameron & Patmore)
1 x KPD (Ballenden)
1 x KPF (Dixon)
1 x Tall Utility/2nd Ruck (Balta)
1 x Medium Defender (Hodge)
Ballenden is FWD/Ruck and has been played that way in their NEAFL side.
Dixon is a bust, often plays from behind and has questionable hands. His one good return in the Championships was a blip.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Tails said:
Ballenden is FWD/Ruck and has been played that way in their NEAFL side.
Dixon is a bust, often plays from behind and has questionable hands. His one good return in the Championships was a blip.

Ballenden has played his best football in defence, intercept marking is his strength. Sure he can play forward, but that's not where he played at state level. If you can scan back to the original selection you will find I have acknowledged his versatility.

I remember people slating Jack Riewoldt because he supposedly played from behind, they look like gooses now. Out of all the tall forwards at the carnival Dixon was the second most consistent, he also looked the best drilled with his running patterns & won 67% of his touches in contested situations. From the footage I have seen playing for the Kingborough Tigers his hands are good, his lateral movement is also top shelf. Typically being from Tasmania he is swimming against the tide but I'd be very happy to secure him with one of our late picks.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
COLLINGWOOD

6. Jaidyn Stephenson
38. Sam Taylor
56. Tom Atkins
70. Ethan Floyd
80. Tim North

Stephenson has the second highest ceiling behind Cam Rayner in this year's draft, there's even a fair chance he winds up being the best. His form in the latter half of the season also saw his contested work lift to another level. At pick 6 he is definitely the best available and I also feel he would be an excellent fit at the Magpies, particularly given Wells is on the cusp of retirement. Sam Taylor at pick 38 is another fine selection, this is a much better combination than Naughton at pick 6 and a mid at 38, I even rate Taylor as a better prospect than Naughton given his disposal is much cleaner.

The remaining three selections are a little more speculative but I like the player types you have selected, Tom Atkins missed out last year but has adapted well to VFL football. His tackling pressure is immense and that fits perfectly with the premiership model, notably he notched up 23 tackles against Collingwood earlier in the year. Floyd & North are TAC players who will likely be rookied, North inparticular looks like one of those inside mids who will add some depth to an ageing workforce.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
ESSENDON

48. Ryley Stoddart
67. Will Walker
85. Cam Ellis-Yolman

Tough to make a silk purse with these picks but I think the Bombers have done a pretty good job in extracting value with their first two picks. Stoddart is more a second rounder for mine, Walker possibly a third rounder. Having recently watched Stoddart perform in the All-Stars game I was really impressed with his run and carry, he's a play-maker and has the evasion to pull off daring runs when an opening presents itself. With Saad coming into the side he'll probably find himself serving a decent apprenticeship but given he's light a stint in the VFL looks absolutely necessary. Will Walker had a really good TAC season and impressed during the finals, probably needs to focus on the kicking efficiency but provides plenty of scoreboard pressure. Ellis-Yolman is done for me as an AFL footballer, was never that impressed to begin with but if we're talking SANFL rejects then I'd be more inclined to grab Magarey medalist Mitch Grigg. Overall a pretty good job.

Grade: B+