PREinvention | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

PREinvention

poppa x said:
Jack to spend the occasional 5 minutes or so in the mid field especially when the opposition are on a roll.
Like Roughie does with the Hawks.

He has been doing that for the last two seasons. Not as often or as effective as roughie tho.

Rance to go on the ball as a big bodied ruck rover, sorry, tall mid.
Then Astbury at FB, Grimes, Chaplin, Batchelor share the rest of the tall backs and that's ok because our dominant mids never let it get down back.

I think Morris as the defensive forward is a good thought. He's tough, does a job, doesn't mind the harassing part of the game and we do need someone with a bit more kicking ability/flair in the back half so he may have to try and reinvent himself just to keep his spot.

McDonough to get more of a midfield run in the 1s, as opposed to being stuck down back.

So his reinvention is really merely playing him where he has played a lot of VFL footy and excelled. :spin

Griff to become an established top level AFL player - a swing man who plays good games up forward but also fills in spots in the backline when required as well as taking a turn on the ball.

Agree on Griffin the Swingman. He has the tools to play both ends well.

I'm interested in seeing Grimes playing in the middle since someone raised the idea.

It gives us Chaplin Astbury on the back line and Rance at CHB.

I'd love to know if that one could work.

Also we know Chappy can kick goals from a couple of kicks if he strays up forward.

Jack to swing into middle for clearances on a semi regular basis. With his smarts, vision and clean hands he could have a real impact.

Think - How the Hawks use Roughie now.

Morris forward leysy is also with.

I like the idea of Morris forward but I think he should start down back if last season was due to his shoulder then he should be back good if not then he needs to re-invent and forward in the Jake King mould could be the go.

Personally I don't think Morris has the skills or smarts to play as a small forward effectively.

I like the idea of Griff hovering about the ground, plugging holes and leapfrogging zones with that boot of his. Would suit him nicely as he seems to be the type who doesn't dominate at any one thing, but does a bit of everything well.

Jack in the midfield is interesting too. A few (albeit fleeting) times last year he started on the half back line and ran into the midfield so I wouldn't be surprised to see him up the ground more often. Could be our wildcard when things aren't going to plan. Or if they are. Whatever.

Knights in the back line I don't mind, but he's probably too similar to Houli for that. I'd have him forward unless Houli is sidelined.

Howbout Ellis up forward to rest? He's an awesome mark.

I'm interested in the swingman idea. I think flexibility with key position players is a massive advantage. I agree that Griff has the skills to translate almost anywhere, but he just seems to work best when he's roaming. I think Astbury has the smarts to give us a forward option, but I really think Rance is the wildcard here, and the point of difference is his ferocity in the air and on the ground. The coach tells everyone who'll listen that he's better at winning the ball back off the oppo than anyone else in the comp. So his pressure would cause anxiety among defenders. Obviously he's an AA defender, but the best swingmen will just go where they're most needed, and I reckon we're short on flexibility.

It feels strange saying it but LD's idea of Morris as our angry little man up front replacement for king isn't a bad one

Baloo said:
It feels strange saying it but LD's idea of Morris as our angry little man up front replacement for king isn't a bad one

His leg speed and footy smarts are question marks for a forward move IMO.

Griff as the stay home CHF who would cause havoc for opposition defences with his marking and booming kick. I understand that he has played at times there for long periods before but just doesn't get into the game as much hence he is playing as a ruck/fwd for his development and hopefully in the future he will be our CHF and a good one at that!

Rance as a wingman!

Chaplan as a forward. When he was swung forward in the game against Port at Etihad where he kicked 2 goals and famously pulled on his jumper is a thought!

Deleido as our FF. Leads beautifully, can mark, kick from 50, has pace , would be a headache for a FB. !

A few others have been mentioned already which have merit and some food for thought depending on the opposition, conditions etc.

Griff coming in off the back of the square for centre bonces. Opposition will have to sit back incase he gets it and hoofs it over into our forward 50. That will also free up space for our mids if they decide to run it themselves.

Like your thinking Baloo.

Griffs boot is a wonderous thing. I was thinking that a half forward line of Deledio, Griffiths and Martin would create a little concern for they can all kick goals from 60 out.

Deledio should play the latter-day Richo role -- basically run around the ground and do whatever you need to wherever you think you need to be.