Prestia !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Prestia !!

Grimes was offered to us. Yarran we got. Prestia wants to come. Any other crocks zeroing in on us ?.

Re: Terrys tigz

Terrys Tigz said:
Our supporters have turned on our own for years and that can't help morale or performance.

People talking down the kid before he even plays a game.

My guess is not many have watched him play. He is suoer talented in so many areas.
i agree with you on the player. He is an upgrade we need but fingers crossed it works out. I still dont think the supporters have much if any effect on individuals. There are as many who talk it up as talk it down and many many more who say nothing.

tigertough12 said:
Sorry forgot to factor in Lions priority pick..
It's picks 22 & 23.
Should be done on Monday

How can it be done if we don't know what, if any, Vickery compo pick will be?

tigerlove said:
How can it be done if we don't know what, if any, Vickery compo pick will be?

Club should have a good indication and certainly should know outright by the end of the weekend.

WesternTiger said:
Club should have a good indication and certainly should know outright by the end of the weekend.

So the league will be announcing compensation picks tonight?

tigerlove said:
So the league will be announcing compensation picks tonight?

Club will be informed. Have to be told roughly what pick so they can determine whether they are happy with it or want to match.

I wasn't really sold on giving up Pick 6 for Prestia BUT I reckon this could work out in our favour.

Academy bidding works 1 way on points, if you don't have enough then your next pick is downgraded, if your next pick is worth more than the Pick required (after the 25% discount) then you just give up that pick (and effectively "lose" the additional points).

So IMO Gold Coast will be looking at trading out Pick 4 and their plan would be to use Pick 6 to get Bowes. They might give it up as part of the Hanley deal, something like Pick 4, get back the St Kilda 2nd rounder that Brisbane have. So where Gold Coast would give up Pick 4 just for Bowes, they could now get Hanley and a 2nd and then use Pick 6 to get Bowes. So essentially for Pick 4 and Prestia, they get Hanley, Bowes and Pick 29.

Therefore IMO Pick 6 becomes more valuable to them so they would pay a premium (as long as its less than 25%).

If we got Prestia, plus Picks 22 and 25 (our pick we gave up last year) and gave up Pick 6, our 2017 2nd and Pick 40 that would be a pretty good deal for us. As the draft is quite level after the top 7 out to about 25-30, having 2 picks to the lower end of that scale would be a good position to have, as there could be sliders in there or if not there is enough talent that we should get 2 good players at that level. If we get Pick 26 for Vickery and we trade that for Motlop I reckon we have probably done quite well. If we could also get Rockliff with say Pick 22 (and taking his full salary from the Lions) then we could end up with

Prestia
Rockliff
Motlop
Pick 25

In exchange for Picks 6, 42, Vickery and our 2017 2nd.

Not sure if its possible, but tending to think Gold Coast have their eyes set on Pick 6 for Bowes, though it could work into our favour in terms of what we get for Pick 6.

mrposhman said:
I wasn't really sold on giving up Pick 6 for Prestia BUT I reckon this could work out in our favour.

Academy bidding works 1 way on points, if you don't have enough then your next pick is downgraded, if your next pick is worth more than the Pick required (after the 25% discount) then you just give up that pick (and effectively "lose" the additional points).

So IMO Gold Coast will be looking at trading out Pick 4 and their plan would be to use Pick 6 to get Bowes. They might give it up as part of the Hanley deal, something like Pick 4, get back the St Kilda 2nd rounder that Brisbane have. So where Gold Coast would give up Pick 4 just for Bowes, they could now get Hanley and a 2nd and then use Pick 6 to get Bowes. So essentially for Pick 4 and Prestia, they get Hanley, Bowes and Pick 29.

Therefore IMO Pick 6 becomes more valuable to them so they would pay a premium (as long as its less than 25%).

If we got Prestia, plus Picks 22 and 25 (our pick we gave up last year) and gave up Pick 6, our 2017 2nd and Pick 40 that would be a pretty good deal for us. As the draft is quite level after the top 7 out to about 25-30, having 2 picks to the lower end of that scale would be a good position to have, as there could be sliders in there or if not there is enough talent that we should get 2 good players at that level. If we get Pick 26 for Vickery and we trade that for Motlop I reckon we have probably done quite well. If we could also get Rockliff with say Pick 22 (and taking his full salary from the Lions) then we could end up with

Prestia
Rockliff
Motlop
Pick 25

In exchange for Picks 6, 42, Vickery and our 2017 2nd.

Not sure if its possible, but tending to think Gold Coast have their eyes set on Pick 6 for Bowes, though it could work into our favour in terms of what we get for Pick 6.

All good in theory but I don't think GC mind if they use pick 4, even with a Brisbane bid (which may never happen in GWS get that pick) they will be spot on with the points once the discount is factored in. Pick 6 & 8 are highly desirable and they won't use them on Hanley, they will use the O'Meara pick. Hanley is 28, hard to justify sacrificing a ten year prospect for a player in their twilight years.

What I do like about the theory is it's a clear policy to have a tilt next year, whilst I don't think we'd get Rocky so cheap I think by throwing in next year's second rounder we may have some sort of chance.

bullus_hit said:
All good in theory but I don't think GC mind if they use pick 4, even with a Brisbane bid (which may never happen in GWS get that pick) they will be spot on with the points once the discount is factored in. Pick 6 & 8 are highly desirable and they won't use them on Hanley, they will use the O'Meara pick. Hanley is 28, hard to justify sacrificing a ten year prospect for a player in their twilight years.

What I do like about the theory is it's a clear policy to have a tilt next year, whilst I don't think we'd get Rocky so cheap I think by throwing in next year's second rounder we may have some sort of chance.

I'm not sure they are spot on.

Picks below, 1st column is pick value, 2nd column is adjusting for the 25% discount, with closest pick next to them.

Pick 1 - 3000 - 2250 (Pick 3)
Pick 2 - 2517 - 1888 (Pick 5)
Pick 3 - 2234 - 1676 (Pick 7)
Pick 4 - 2034 - 1526 (Pick 8)
Pick 5 - 1878 - 1409 (Pick 10)
Pick 6 - 1751 - 1313 (Pick 11)
Pick 7 - 1644 - 1233 (Pick 13)
Pick 8 - 1551 - 1163 (Pick 14)
Pick 9 - 1469 - 1102 (Pick 15)
Pick 10 - 1395 - 1046 (Pick 16)

If they get a bid from Brisbane for Bowes at 4 they need 1,888 points to pay for him. Pick 4 is worth 2,034 so they would be wasting 146 points. If they get a bid at 3 then they lose 359 points. If they think there is a real chance that a bid could come in the 1st 3 picks then they should downgrade their Pick 4 and gain a bit back the other way. Sure 146 points isn't a heap but for a club that needs to maximise their points balance they should be looking at all ways they can maximise the balance and therefore take as much talent as they physically can.

What they do may depend on what Brisbane do with Pick 2, if they trade it down and give Pick 2 to GWS then a bid may not come in until after their Pick 4 and then you wouldn't trade it.

mrposhman said:
I'm not sure they are spot on.

Picks below, 1st column is pick value, 2nd column is adjusting for the 25% discount, with closest pick next to them.

Pick 1 - 3000 - 2250 (Pick 3)
Pick 2 - 2517 - 1888 (Pick 5)
Pick 3 - 2234 - 1676 (Pick 7)
Pick 4 - 2034 - 1526 (Pick 8)
Pick 5 - 1878 - 1409 (Pick 10)
Pick 6 - 1751 - 1313 (Pick 11)
Pick 7 - 1644 - 1233 (Pick 13)
Pick 8 - 1551 - 1163 (Pick 14)
Pick 9 - 1469 - 1102 (Pick 15)
Pick 10 - 1395 - 1046 (Pick 16)

If they get a bid from Brisbane for Bowes at 4 they need 1,888 points to pay for him. Pick 4 is worth 2,034 so they would be wasting 146 points. If they get a bid at 3 then they lose 359 points. If they think there is a real chance that a bid could come in the 1st 3 picks then they should downgrade their Pick 4 and gain a bit back the other way. Sure 146 points isn't a heap but for a club that needs to maximise their points balance they should be looking at all ways they can maximise the balance and therefore take as much talent as they physically can.

What they do may depend on what Brisbane do with Pick 2, if they trade it down and give Pick 2 to GWS then a bid may not come in until after their Pick 4 and then you wouldn't trade it.

Academy selections are a 20% discount & F&S 15%.

bullus_hit said:
Academy selections are a 20% discount & F&S 15%.

Ahhh, was reading an old article, where it was 25% academy, 15% F/S. Looks like it might be 20% for all now? So ok I see your point, Pick 4 is spot on for a Pick 2 bid so I'd guess you are right and they won't trade Pick 4, probably completely smashes my thought that we would get a premium back if we gave them Pick 6.

mrposhman said:
Ahhh, was reading an old article, where it was 25% academy, 15% F/S. Looks like it might be 20% for all now? So ok I see your point, Pick 4 is spot on for a Pick 2 bid so I'd guess you are right and they won't trade Pick 4, probably completely smashes my thought that we would get a premium back if we gave them Pick 6.

Yes, it's 20% for all now.

Importantly in the Naish scenario, say a bid comes in at pick 25 (756 points - 20% = 604), that would equate to pick 43 (378 points) & pick 61 (131 points) = 509

Now I believe the rules state that if you run out of points they will be deducted from your first round pick next year. In this case being 95 points short will only impact the club at selection 7 and would be subsequently moved to pick 8.

bullus_hit said:

Importantly in the Naish scenario, say a bid comes in at pick 25 (756 points - 20% = 604), that would equate to pick 43 (378 points) & pick 61 (131 points) = 509

Now I believe the rules state that if you run out of points they will be deducted from your first round pick next year. In this case being 95 points short will only impact the club at selection 7 and would be subsequently moved to pick 8.

Just found an article from May 2015 which shows the 20%. Interestingly it also states:

"The AFL has settled on a maximum discount of 20 per cent for academy and father-son players in the first round. After that, the discount will be fixed at 197 points - the discount for pick 18."

In your scenario above (if the fixed 197 points is correct), then we would only need 559 points which if we used Picks 43 and 61 then we would have a deficit of 50 points which may not even affect our 2018 1st rounder.

mrposhman said:
Just found an article from May 2015 which shows the 20%. Interestingly it also states:

"The AFL has settled on a maximum discount of 20 per cent for academy and father-son players in the first round. After that, the discount will be fixed at 197 points - the discount for pick 18."

In your scenario above (if the fixed 197 points is correct), then we would only need 559 points which if we used Picks 43 and 61 then we would have a deficit of 50 points which may not even affect our 2018 1st rounder.

Missed that part but even better. Would only effect pick 14 - 18 which we probably won't be getting.

bullus_hit said:

So it's all pretty straight forward then......

tigertim said:
So it's all pretty straight forward then......

Nothing is ever straight forward but definitely worth trading our 2017 second rounder.

bullus_hit said:
Nothing is ever straight forward but definitely worth trading our 2017 second rounder.

Agree, I'd be happy with trading our 2nd rounder. Whether thats for a player or we swap a 2016 2nd for a 2017 2nd with Gold Coast, doesn't really matter.

Terrys Tigz said:
Clearly shows you know nothing about Prestia. This guy has had to work harder than most to make it. Their is a reason why he was made VC so young at gold Coast.

The guy will add talent and more importantly leadership to our squad.

Reason why players don't want to come is because of our supporters eating their own.
Not doubting Prestia's talent or commitment but he is injury prone and in the past has faded out of games. My biggest beef is we reward mediocrity and will play our supposed elite even though they are clearly out of form and my guess we are the only club to do this hence my comment that Prestia (or anyone we trade) knows that they can be playing substandard yet almost guaranteed a regular game.

UKTiger said:
Not doubting Prestia's talent or commitment but he is injury prone and in the past has faded out of games. My biggest beef is we reward mediocrity and will play our supposed elite even though they are clearly out of form and my guess we are the only club to do this hence my comment that Prestia (or anyone we trade) knows that they can be playing substandard yet almost guaranteed a regular game.
So Prestia is coming to Richmond because he knows he can coast

yeah sure...