Progress toward a republic stalls | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Progress toward a republic stalls

Redford said:
Chancellor Redford or Chief of State Redford would also be acceptable to me.

Secretary Redford sounds better..............as a Receptionist :hihi

Anduril said:
Monarchy:
Elizabeth Windsor- Mountbatten would not be queen if she had a brother. Illegal to discriminate on grounds of sex here in Australia.

She could not marry a catholic, again religious discrimination. Can't happen here. etc etc.

Good examples of Lizzy not interfering with our laws and trying to force their standards on our country.

rosy23 said:
Anduril said:
Monarchy:
Elizabeth Windsor- Mountbatten would not be queen if she had a brother. Illegal to discriminate on grounds of sex here in Australia.

She could not marry a catholic, again religious discrimination. Can't happen here. etc etc.

Good examples of Lizzy not interfering with our laws and trying to force their standards on our country.

yep, look what happened last time she butted in. :'(

Anduril said:
Liverpool the PM is NOT Head of State, so no every child cannot aspire to be H of S. You are continually posting about others not being Aussie enough or acting with Aus'n values yet you are quite happy to have an Englishwoman/man as Headof State.
As for telling me I'm not happy with my life here and life is unbearable for me. How on Earth would you know? Childish and churlish comment to say the least. ::)

Considering I never said that our PM is our head-of-state, then maybe you should read my post more carefully?
I also didn't TELL you that you're not happy, I ASKED if your life was that unbearable by having the Queen on the other side of the planet.
Well, is it?

Anduril said:

• Why does our Head of State live overseas?

Actually, there is nothing in the Consitution that refers to a "head of state".

* For practical purposes the Head of State of Australia is the Governor-General.
* Section 2 of the Constitution describes the Governor-General as the Queen's representative in Australia.
* Section 2 of the Constitution also provides that the Governor-General is appointed by the Queen, retains office during her pleasure and exercises such powers and functions of the Queen as Her Majesty may be pleased to assign to him.
* In relation to the prerogative powers [ie. powers over foreign affairs, such as making treaties, appointing diplomats and declaring war], while the Governor-General may act in the name of the Queen, the powers and functions are exercised by him/her as part of his/her duties as Governor-General. While the Governor-General may report to the Queen, the Queen is not involved, and has not interfered, in decisions that the Governor-General makes.
* Under section 61 of the Constitution, the executive power of the Commonwealth is exercisable by the Governor-General not the Queen.
* Neither the Constitution nor the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act actually refer to the Queen as the Head of State.
* The Governor-General is usually regarded when travelling overseas as Australia's Head of State.

Anduril said:
• Why is our Head of State not an Australian?

He is....Major General Jeffrey:

http://www.australianpolitics.com/news/2003/06/03-06-22b.shtml

Anduril said:
• Why is our Head of State decided by birth rather than merit?

He is appointed by the Queen, on advice from our PM....so not by birth, but by merit and what our PM deems is good for the country.

Anduril said:
• Why can our Head of State only be a woman if a man is unavailable?

I'll give you that one..... ;D

Anduril said:
• Why can our Head of State only be a woman if a man is unavailable?
• Why is our Head of State neither allowed to be a Catholic nor marry one?

Sir William Deane was of Catholic origin and Zelmann Cowen was a Jew.

Anduril said:
http://www.republic.org.au/ARM-2001/mediaroom/mr136.htm

Interesting page...a few posters might find this one interesting too:

http://www.ausconstitution.org/aust_head_of_state.php

Tigers of Old said:
Nice work there Andy.
Pretty pertinant questions.

Over to you Liverpool.
Anduril's up 15-0. ;D

An ace straight down the middle to win the game! 8)

Redford said:
Instead of an oval office, I'm going with a triangle office. And I will live in the Red House.

Sounds like you've had a few too many reds already....

......and I will have an Australian Air Force plane (a new specially converted Airbus A380) that will be named Red Hot 1.

Sorry to butt in on the Red House and your armed forces ;D but:

Who is Australia's Head of State?

Australia is a constitutional monarchy and in accordance with these principles the monarch is considered Australia's Head of State. The Governor-General is not the Head of State of Australia, but a representative of the Queen in Australia.

"Her Majesty is Australia's Head of State ... I am her representative"

Governor-General His Excellency Major General Michael Jeffery, 6 November 2004

http://www.republic.org.au/ARM-2001/q&a/qa_headofstateindex.htm

Anduril said:

Australia is a constitutional monarchy and in accordance with these principles the monarch is considered Australia's Head of State. The Governor-General is not the Head of State of Australia, but a representative of the Queen in Australia.

That's correct. The Queen is Australia's Head of State (until I take over). The GG is just her rep.

Anduril said:

There's been a protest. Looks like Andy's going home with the title. :cupgold

Redford said:
Anduril said:

That's correct. The Queen is Australia's Head of State (until I take over). The GG is just her rep.

No, that is incorrect.

The Governor General is her rep, that part is true, but there is nothing in the Constitution that states the Queen/King is our 'head of state'.
That is the official and statutory line.

Anduril states differently, with her source being the pro-republican movement themselves, so to counter and even things up, here is the monarchal version:

1. Fifteen editions of the Commonwealth Government Directory - The Official Guide, from August 1992 to March 1997, described the Governor-General's function officially thus: 'He is the Head of State".
2. That no valid reason for its seemingly unauthorised removal on 16 December 1996 by Deputy Official Secretary Carol Summerhayes has been produced.
3. That the publication to which we were referred by republican Professor George Winterton, the respected Constitutional expert and appointed delegate to the 1998 Constitutional Convention,:
From 'The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Political Institutions' the world authority on these matters by Vernon Bogdanor from Oxford offers the following:
- a. 'According to the WESTMINSTER MODEL, the HEAD OF STATE appoints the party leader most capable of securing the confidence of parliament.' (p.269) Comment: In Australia, our Governor-General appoints the party leader (the Prime Minister). The Queen, not being Head of State has no such function.
- b. The Head of State, usually a MONARCH or president, is the person to whom foreign envoys present their credentials.' (p.270) Comment: In Australia's case such credentials are always presented to our Australian Governor-General - our Australian Head of State, not to a 'Monarch or President'.
c. 'In federal parliamentary systems there may be state governors (as in Australia and India) or provincial lieutenant-governors (as in Canada) who also act in normal times as formal Heads of State.' (p.271)

So it is unchallengeable that:
(i) our Australian Head of State is the Governor-General, and
(ii) that our State Governors are also Heads of their own State. This was further confirmed by NSW Premier, Mr Bob Carr, in a speech to Parliament farewelling Governor Samuels when he said 'the Governor is the Head of State in NSW' (NSW Hansard 28 February 2001 page 12026). Therefore logically it is unarguable that all State Governors are Head of State in their own State.
4. The Concise Encyclopedia of Australia says 'The Governor General…is the Head of State'.
5. Sir David Smith, a person of unequalled experience in this matter, provides 'incontrovertible evidence of the fact that we have an Australian Head of State and that it is the Governor-General.'
6. That the Hon. Richard McGarvie, former Justice of the Victorian Supreme Court, former Governor of Victoria and a senior appointee to the 1998 Con Con in Canberra describes the Governor-General as 'the operative Head of State'.
7. That, when representing Australia abroad, our Governor-General always travels as, and is accepted as, Head of State. This is always as is expected by our Government.
8. Even ARM Chair Greg Barns, in the Australian 10 April 2001, agrees the Governor-General is our Head of State - 6 times

http://www.norepublic.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=336&Itemid=4

Tigers of Old said:
There's been a protest. Looks like Andy's going home with the title. :cupgold

You give up too easy mate....I've come back from 2 sets down to win it in 5! :hihi