Punt Road Redevelopment | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Punt Road Redevelopment

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Ian4 said:
sorry but I am 100% against this development. firstly, I am sick of government funding going to footy. isn't $500m enough already? secondly, we should be funding it 100% ourselves and build it our way. none of this community rubbish. lets build something for the RFC and RFC only.

Love your passion mate but 100% naive.
Every club gets funding this way. Do you want us to be the one's saying no thank you and have possum sh#t falling on players heads in 10 years time? Have to keep progressing to stay in front.
The upgrading of Punt Road Oval and our VFL stand alone has been a HUGE factor in our ability to attract, keep and develop players and why we are a powerhouse. The money came from a combination of money from the Fighting Tiger Fund ( us supporters ) and Govt money which comes from us indirectly too.
If we don't take the money, I know Eddie will

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Dont Argue said:
Every club gets funding this way. Do you want us to be the one's saying no thank you and have possum sh#t falling on players heads in 10 years time? Have to keep progressing to stay in front.
The upgrading of Punt Road Oval and our VFL stand alone has been a HUGE factor in our ability to attract, keep and develop players and why we are a powerhouse. The money came from a combination of money from the Fighting Tiger Fund ( us supporters ) and Govt money which comes from us indirectly too.

Us fans who go to the VFL and sit in the Jack Dyer Stand have to dodge the possum sh#t already.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
caesar said:
From 2017 End Of Financial Year Report: “We remain debt free, have cash reserves of $9.88 million"

Reckon we will probably bank a further $4 million profit this year? with increased membership and carry over GF merchandise sales etc.

Best to get re-development done while we are in a good place and a lot of goodwill around with all our backers.

Our facilities 100% need upgrading and am happy for us to take money from anyone that is willing to give it to us.

Thanks Julius!

Had no idea we were so cashed up.
If we rake in another 4 Mill as you say that would get us very close to the 15 Mill needed.
They could then do the whole upgrade and not go into debt. :clap

Would just about future proof the club.
Peggy, Benny, and Dimma have done great things for this club!

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
caesar said:
Us fans who go to the VFL and sit in the Jack Dyer Stand have to dodge the possum sh#t already.

You're lucky it wasn't chicken sh#t after our VFL finals series!

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Dont Argue said:

Naïve my arse. yes every club gets funding this way, but why can't we be the ones who lead the way in changing the landscape? Google "Western Melbourne Group" and see what their plans are for the ALeague. admittedly they are a privately backed, but the logic is still the same. everything in their plans is specific to the sport. If we fund it ourselves, it will be Richmond specific. no conditions. I have no doubt in my mind we can raise $60 million. It will prove how much of a powerhouse we are.

TV Josh

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2005
Melbourne, VIC
I still prefer the idea of the club owning our own boozer in the vicinity, with no pokies and tonnes of teles for interstate matches. Probably not the best money spinner though.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
TV Josh said:
I still prefer the idea of the club owning our own boozer in the vicinity, with no pokies and tonnes of teles for interstate matches. Probably not the best money spinner though.

exactly.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Ian4 said:
Naïve my arse. yes every club gets funding this way, but why can't we be the ones who lead the way in changing the landscape? Google "Western Melbourne Group" and see what their plans are for the ALeague. admittedly they are a privately backed, but the logic is still the same. everything in their plans is specific to the sport. If we fund it ourselves, it will be Richmond specific. no conditions. I have no doubt in my mind we can raise $60 million. It will prove how much of a powerhouse we are.

If we owned Punt Road Oval, then we should 100% be funding it ourselves. Trying to get government funding for such a big re-development for city property is the right way to go IMO.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Tigertool said:
If we owned Punt Road Oval, then we should 100% be funding it ourselves. Trying to get government funding for such a big re-development for city property is the right way to go IMO.

well maybe buying the land and owning it outright should be a long term goal of the club.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
TV Josh said:

I would be looking to do this regardless. We need a place to meet before games, have a place to attend for interstate games that identifies with our whole membership in Richmond.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Would it be possible/legal to have accomodation as part of the project ? I’d imagine staying at punt Rd would be a very popular destination in the footy season , a little 10 or 20 room extension to the grandstand would surely be a good money spinner .

Underground car park would have to be a great money spinner too actually a car park of any type would have to be profitable

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Mr Brightside said:
Would it be possible/legal to have accomodation as part of the project ? I’d imagine staying at punt Rd would be a very popular destination in the footy season , a little 10 or 20 room extension to the grandstand would surely be a good money spinner .

Underground car park would have to be a great money spinner too actually a car park of any type would have to be profitable

Unfortunately Mr B. The whole area of Yarra Park which includes the MCG & PRO is under the control of the Melbourne City Council. Which means there is a lot of hard work & negotiations that need to be done to enable ANYTHING to be done there. Any redevelopment that is done would probably also need to get a tick of approval from the encumber Victorian government,. As we can see from the recent announcements about sports facility funding, PRO works are not high on any of these particular governments (local, state or federal) agendas.
I'm certainly not holding my breath waiting.

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
Ian4 said:
any further news on this? there is supposed to be some essendon announcement today.

The bombers have a commitment from Fed Opposition of 4 million on their 20 million refurb.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Ian4 said:
sorry but I am 100% against this development. firstly, I am sick of government funding going to footy. isn't $500m enough already? secondly, we should be funding it 100% ourselves and build it our way. none of this community rubbish. lets build something for the RFC and RFC only.

You are correct Ian after missing out on funding from the AFL & Gov't RFC club have gone it alone and redevelopment is now complete, new windows have been installed in the Social Club allowing fans to actually to see the ground ;D

That will be our lot without some sort of funding.

PS. I do understand the absurdity of putting millions into footy clubs at the expense of more noble pursuits but better than p!ssing away 1.1 Billion dollars on the East West Link Project that was scrapped.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
DavidSSS said:
Election looming, government not doing well in Vic, here's hoping we can get some funding.

DS

Can't Labor revoke anything the Libs promise when Labor comes into power May whenever it is? We may have to start the lobbying all over again.