Punt Road Redevelopment | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Punt Road Redevelopment

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Eddie just announced on the footy the AFL & Government grand plan for ground upgrades:

The sports package which is expected to total around $500million in funding overall is expected to include a revamp of other key facilities across the state – in part to enhance facilities for women's football - including:

- Ethiad $250 million
- MCG new Southern Stand
- Ikon Park in Carlton $40 million
- Mars Stadium in Ballarat
- Casey Fields in Melbourne's south-east
- Whitten Oval in Footscray
- Victoria Park in Collingwood
- Moorabbin Oval

LOOKS LIKE PUNT ROAD GET'S NOTHING?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I was surprised there was nothing for PRO.

Makes sense for this ground to be the boutique stadium in our sports district there.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
there are a couple of threads already about this. personally I hope we rebuild the Jack Dyer stand without any government funding. government funding comes with conditions (ie. community facilities, etc). if we rebuild it ourselves, we can do it our way and limit government interference and red tape as much as possible. I want us to build a legitimate social club for the fans underneath a new Jack Dyer stand.

On an unrelated note, I'm getting a bit sick of the d!ck measuring contests between state governments on stadium infrastructure. We don't need anymore MCG redevelopments. nor does Etihad need any upgrades. what a waste of money. state and federal governments have spent well over $4 billion on footy infrastructure alone over the past 15 years. where does it end?

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Apparently the Southern Stand does need updating. Hopefully they increase the capacity to 110,000-120,000.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
spook said:
Apparently the Southern Stand does need updating. Hopefully they increase the capacity to 110,000-120,000.

If they don't and we keep expanding our membership we might need to find a bigger ground. I think there is a couple of grounds in Latin America and one in Mumbai that hold well over 100k - should explore those as a home base

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
This announcement was not good for us at all - PRO desperately needs updating and we will need to go it alone...

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
doherz said:
Back to the FTF

serious? the club is making squillions on the back of all the memorabilia stuff we've bought and now you want them to ask fans to open their pockets? lol.

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Ian4 said:
serious? the club is making squillions on the back of all the memorabilia stuff we've bought and now you want them to ask fans to open their pockets? lol.

The club believed they had made superior submissions than a lot of clubs for both an AFLW licence and Government/AFL funding but were staggered to be overlooked on both so you can't blame the club.

To me it reeks of someone in AFL house having a set against Richmond.

To add to my argument we played 3 final series in a row had one bad season and they take ALL Friday nights off us where as Carlton have been sh!t for years and they have SIX prime Thurs/Fri time slots this year.

We may well have to go it alone unless we can get an individual State Gov't grant as the AFL certainly doesn't appear to be in our corner, once again not the club's fault.

SUCKS BUT!!!

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
caesar said:
We may well have to go it alone unless we can get an individual State Gov't grant as the AFL certainly doesn't appear to be in our corner, once again not the club's fault.

even more reason to do this on our own with no outside help so we can stick it right up city hall and all the other haters. Lets do this our way.

I remember about 7-8 years ago when we were "the worst team since Fitzroy," Benny came out publically and said that we won't put our hand out for assistance (unlike Melbourne and Carlton). IMO this is no different.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Benny hasn't been sitting on his hands since getting knocked back in the Government's previous Sports Package announcement...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/jack-dyer-stand-may-go-in-60m-punt-road-oval-redevelopment-20180907-p502dv.html

Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

By Caroline Wilson
7 September 2018 — 3:09pm

A $60 million redevelopment of the Punt Road Oval, which would almost certainly lead to the removal of the Jack Dyer Stand and cement the Tigers’ long-term future next door to the MCG, looks set to be unveiled before the forthcoming state and federal elections.

Richmond’s emergence as a 100,000-member AFL powerhouse club heading towards their second successive preliminary final comes as Tiger bosses are lobbying intensively behind the scenes with a range of senior state and federal government figures to fund a new football hub for the club’s increasingly diverse gender and multicultural profile.

The redevelopment involving a three-way funding split between the federal and state governments and the club would change the face of of one of Melbourne’s best-known and most utilised corners and play a role in the proposed radical overhaul of pedestrian traffic between the MCG and Richmond station.

Underpinning their bid is that by 2020 the Tigers will house not only AFL and VFL teams at Punt Road but also their AFLW and VFLW teams and the club’s recently introduced Wheelchair team, which was defeated by Collingwood last weekend in the first Victorian Wheelchair League grand final.

It has emerged that 2017 premiership player Bachar Houli and his Islamic Academy, which is to be based at Punt Road and soon to receive a major funding boost from the federal government, have played a pivotal role in the Punt Road plans.

One of the last remaining VFL grandstands, the Dyer Stand was built in 1914 and after a number of renovations was named in honour of the Australian football Hall of Famer "Captain Blood" in 1998.
While not officially heritage listed, the stand has become a significant landmark.

When Tigers CEO Brendon Gale first mooted pulling down the stand earlier this season he conceded widespread consultation including with Dyer’s family would precede any final decision.
Officially tight-lipped regarding the redevelopment, Richmond have handed detailed drawings and proposals to both sides of politics and across several departments both in Canberra and Spring Street.

The redevelopment would see:
•The 104-year-old Jack Dyer Stand removed to make way for new seating, change rooms, community and elite training facilities.
•Expanded sporting amenities to house Richmond’s AFL, VFL, AFLW, VFLW and recently introduced team in the Victorian Wheelchair Football League.
•Spectator capacity lifted from 5000 to 8000 with new terracing around Punt Road’s outer wing, under the scoreboard and the north end goals.
•New lighting to allow for regular VFL and AFLW night fixtures.
•The expansion of the current training facility, which would also make room for Richmond’s expanding Korin Gamadji Institute and elite athlete and sport science educational partnership with Swinburne.
•Accommodation for students attending the Melbourne Indigenous Transition School.
•A facelift for the Swinburne Centre, which would see the unsightly and impractical small windows significantly enlarged.

Under Richmond’s proposal, the costing applications would include $20 million in Commonwealth funding and $20 million from the Victorian government. Richmond have pledged to cover the final third of that costing in the hope that the AFL would contribute $5 million.

While the plans, understood to have received strong support from the AFL and Richmond’s local member and Victorian planning minister Richard Wynne, are not wedded to the removal of the iconic Dyer Stand, that is the club’s strong preference.

Keeping the stand would come at a multimillion-dollar extra cost.

A total of 5000 supporters squeezed into Punt Road last September for the club’s final training session before the grand final and at last Saturday night’s televised VFL final there was restricted seating and the lighting fail during the third quarter. Under the new plans, seating would increase to 5000 with standing room for a further 3000.

With Richmond overlooked in the $500 million sport facilities funding package unveiled five months ago by Premier Daniel Andrews, a disappointed Gale and his team refocused their efforts towards a wide range of state and federal government departments.

Gale and his lieutenants, Michael Stahl and Simon Matthews, have worked closely with both sides of federal and state politics in the hope that Richmond’s sporting, social, multicultural and community achievements will attract pre-election commitments.

Earlier this year, Matthews led a Richmond delegation to the United Nations in New York where the Tigers became the first sporting club to present to the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous issues, underlining the work of the KGI Institute.

The Tigers’ funding bid has been linked with the proposed radical redevelopment from Richmond station to the MCG. The Punt Road gateway is seen as the last piece in the puzzle of Melbourne’s inner-city sporting precinct.

The confluence of big AFL and NRL finals held in the precinct on Friday night, along with the logistical hurdles involving moving more than 91,000 supporters into the MCG for Richmond’s Thursday night qualifying final against Hawthorn, has again underlined the need for a new walkway linking Richmond station to the MCG.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Sounds brilliant if it get's up, might be a bit of an ambit claim and the outcome might be something substantially less but may as well shoot for the stars.

Hey I thought 3-0-75 was unrealstic.

Great to be a Bold Club again that dreams big,.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
caesar said:
Sounds brilliant if it get's up, might be a bit of an ambit claim and the outcome might be something substantially less but may as well shoot for the stars.

Hey I thought 3-0-75 was unrealstic.

Great to be a Bold Club again that dreams big,.
Hopefully part of the rebuild will involve an undercover training viewing area for you mate

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Mr Brightside said:
Hopefully part of the rebuild will involve an undercover training viewing area for you mate
[/qu

Are we taking over Eddiehead/marvel stadium? ;D

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If the Libs get in Victoria, I hope they publish all the documentation and communication regarding the Sports precinct decision. How PRO was excluded is unfathomable.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
So if I read Caro's piece correctly Fed Gov stumps up $ 20 Mill, State $20 Mill and remainder $20 Mill by Richmond.
(Richmond hoping AFL chip in $5 Mill.)
So that leaves $15 Mill.

I know last year's events in September cashed us up something shocking but surely we don't have $15 Mill lying around?

I would hate for the club to go back into debt again to fund this project.
When you get into debt it is very hard to get out of it.

Am I missing something?
If someone can explain would appreciate.

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
theglove3 said:
So if I read Caro's piece correctly Fed Gov stumps up $ 20 Mill, State $20 Mill and remainder $20 Mill by Richmond.
So that leaves $15 Mill.

I know last year's events in September cashed us up something shocking but surely we don't have $15 Mill lying around?

Am I missing something?

I agree. Stuff being in debt again

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
sorry but I am 100% against this development. firstly, I am sick of government funding going to footy. isn't $500m enough already? secondly, we should be funding it 100% ourselves and build it our way. none of this community rubbish. lets build something for the RFC and RFC only.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
theglove3 said:
So that leaves $15 Mill.

Am I missing something?

From 2017 End Of Financial Year Report: “We remain debt free, have cash reserves of $9.88 million"

Reckon we will probably bank a further $4 million profit this year? with increased membership and carry over GF merchandise sales etc.

Best to get re-development done while we are in a good place and a lot of goodwill around with all our backers.

Our facilities 100% need upgrading and am happy for us to take money from anyone that is willing to give it to us.

As an aside: Compare our position to that of St Kilda who are $12 million dollars in debt.