RD 15 Crowds Update | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

RD 15 Crowds Update

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I got 4, Mrs & kids as well, although I have all 4 in the app with our regular seats.
Have entered the ballot in any case, but having doubts about going. You just know someone will *smile* up and do the wrong thing.

I think I'll go if I get tickets but I'll probably park at the ground (tennis stadiums car parks over the bridge from Punt Road) to avoid the train.

Feb 25, 2007
i called the club and I have to say that I am very disappointed with what I heard.

apparently, my Roaming Tiger membership category has been downgraded. we are not considered "reserved seating" anymore. we will be grouped with GA members and will receive an email tomorrow. This is completely different to how we were treated at the start of the year when we were grouped with reserved seat holders.

Suffice to say that I am not impressed.

@DavidSSS , this affacts you too.

I guess RD 1 there was 50% allowed and for RD 15 we are hearing 30%, is that why they are classing roaming tiger with GA as not enough seats in the ballot for reserve seat holders?
Or, do you mean downgraded forever? if so, that's crap. You have a reserved area in two bays to book seats. That's not GA, you're paying higher for your membership than a normal GA member.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2007
An inconsistent approach has left the AFL’s application for capped crowds in significant doubt, despite the cap being delivered for the A-League.

Sam Landsberger and Jon Ralph - June 22, 2021

The AFL’s application for 50 per cent capacity crowds remains in significant doubt despite Victorian Health officials delivering the A-League exactly that for Sunday’s Grand Final.
The inconsistent approach will see AAMI Park half full on Sunday when, at the same time 4km down the road, Marvel Stadium could be capped at just 20 or 30 per cent for Carlton’s match against Adelaide.

Health officials will justify the decision by moving away from percentage caps and instead enforcing a spectator cap at Victorian venues.

For example, the most likely outcome would see the MCG capped at 30,000 and AAMI Park capped at 15,000, with both of those numbers deemed safe.
However, allowing 15,000 soccer fans to attend the Melbourne City-Sydney FC clash will see AAMI Park fill to exactly 50 per cent.

Footy stakeholders have grown frustrated with Victoria’s overly cautious approach.

On Sunday the Herald Sun revealed that the AFL and Melbourne Cricket Club had submitted a joint application for 50 per cent crowds in Round 15, but instead 30 per cent was likely to be the magic number.

That remains the case, although AFL powerbrokers were on Tuesday still waiting to learn their fate as news seeped out that the A-League decider would go ahead at a half full AAMI Stadium.

Government officials are likely to settle on AFL crowds by Tuesday night or early Wednesday.

It is understood the league is not pressuring the health department to reconsider its initial bid on the back of the soccer surprise.

There are four AFL games in Melbourne this weekend – two at the MCG and two at Marvel Stadium.

The biggest loser from the softly, softly approach will be Essendon, which hosts the ladder-leading Demons on Saturday night.

That marquee match could’ve drawn more than 70,000 fans in normal circumstances, given the recent fortunes of both clubs.

But instead it is likely that only 30,000 fans will attend.

Melbourne City fans will get their wish — and are set to have a 50 per cent capacity crowd at AAMI Park. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

Melbourne City fans will get their wish — and are set to have a 50 per cent capacity crowd at AAMI Park. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

Clubs hemorrhage cash when they are forced to play in front of reduced crowds.

Geelong lost $500,000 last Friday night when just 7000 fans attended GMHBA Stadium, despite the match being staged in a regional Victoria city which had not recorded a coronavirus case since last September

The Cats would love their crowd capacity boosted to 75 per cent (27,000 fans) for next week’s clash against Essendon, however the early frontrunner is 50 per cent.

A half full GMHBA Stadium would see the Cats almost break even.

But they would still have to write out a small cheque to stage the game due to the drastic reduction in gameday revenues such as food and beverage.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
What a joke.
1 case in Victoria and the crowds at 25%.
Shut the joint down

Reactions: 2 users
Feb 25, 2007
What a joke.
1 case in Victoria and the crowds at 25%.
Shut the joint down

Sunday zero cases, Monday 1 case and today zero cases. 30% (30,000) is what they are saying, unbelievable it should be min 50% capacity

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I guess RD 1 there was 50% allowed and for RD 15 we are hearing 30%, is that why they are classing roaming tiger with GA as not enough seats in the ballot for reserve seat holders?
Or, do you mean downgraded forever? if so, that's crap. You have a reserved area in two bays to book seats. That's not GA, you're paying higher for your membership than a normal GA member.

Thanks for that info, I haven't got an email and did not check until now as I have been sick (not COVID!).

This all contradicts what is in the article on the RFC website which was linked to above which mentions a ballot for "Reserved Seat/Reserved Bay" members as Roaming Tiger is Reserved Bay.

I guess this basically means they have no idea.

Given no cases today, the lack of a decision from the Dept of Health may actually be a blessing, in that they are looking at the numbers and hopefully considering a higher allowance. In any case, if I was them I would allow 50% because I doubt the crowd will be larger than 30K anyway given the low crowd numbers this year.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
I think I'll go if I get tickets but I'll probably park at the ground (tennis stadiums car parks over the bridge from Punt Road) to avoid the train.
What do thye charge to park there? I'd usually park at the 'G' if carparks are open, but given the rain over the past few weeks, and forecast, MCG carpark likely to be closed.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
The delay might be also because of the smart arse trick pulled at Kardinia Park by cramming all the allowed patrons into a single bay.

Could the department of Health be looking for some sort of guarantee that the numbers be properly spaced before they agree to a number allowed into an arena?

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
What do thye charge to park there? I'd usually park at the 'G' if carparks are open, but given the rain over the past few weeks, and forecast, MCG carpark likely to be closed.
$20 or $25 I think on gamedays. Its a great place to park if you are going into the city on a non-event day as I think they should $6 for the day when its non-event.

Edit - $20 if you prebook online. Looks like $6 / day has changed to $7.50. You can park all day on Thursday for $7.50.

Try here https://prebook.mopt.vic.gov.au/pub...0EBFC51_k05B3C12C-4F0C-9BA8-7539-77345C3ECE1D

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Why are we surprised about this confusion from the Victorian Government? Their inability to make a logical decision has been on show for quite some time.

Reactions: 4 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
7.50 games really suck when coming from Geelong,and working the next day.
Premiership circle member ,I normally go by train but will drive into Southern cross so will get home 45_1 hour earlier than train.
It's not about anything else but preferred style of government for this poisonous dam government.

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
25K. Go *smile* yourselves you incompetent turds. I won’t even bother. RIP Melbourne The Sporting capital :rotfl1:rotfl1

Reactions: 4 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
25K. Go *smile* yourselves you incompetent turds. I won’t even bother. RIP Melbourne The Sporting capital :rotfl1:rotfl1
They might else well just let us play our home games at Kevin Bartlett reserve.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Born_a_Tiger78

Tiger Rookie
Jul 16, 2008
My maths says if there are a hundred unknown cases then the chance of one or more people having COVID is roughly 40% in a crowd of 30000 and just under 30% in a crowd of 20000. approx (1 - (5985000/5985100)^30000) as a percentage - excel couldn’t handle the actual maths.

Not sure what the chance of infection would be though given mainly outside.

Imagine the view is a lot less than a hundred - agree the purpose is as you suggest but highly doubt they have an actual rule they consistently use.
Yeah, your maths are correct. I was working through a range of scenarios and, silly me, posted the worst case assumed input and the results of the second best assumed input.

Given that each professional sporting stadium seems to be now being allocated a fixed maximum number, subject to a % of capacity, I reckon I guessed the purpose correctly.

And you're right, again, there's no rule that they use consistently. It's close to SHocking...