Re: Adam Goodes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Re: Adam Goodes

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
bruntonave. said:
Yeah, they're both very related to the topic.

Ben Cousins is a Collard. The Collards are a large and fairly prominent nyoongar family.

Soon after the incident in the Collingwood game it came out that the perpetrator was young and maybe not 100% responsible for her actions.
Goodes addressed this directly the next morning. Impeccably.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg9ehFjrEjo
(go to 2.01)

Thanks for that. I am having internet problems due to Bigpond slowing my connection down. I didn't hear anything that referenced mental disability. What was said in regard to it?

Do you have any more info about Ben's indigenous ties? I've searched but can't find anything.

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
bruntonave. said:
No it's not. It's a simple question.

Any non -indigenous australian can ask it of themselves.

I'm a non-indigenous australian and I'm prepared to accept that part of the prosperity and freedom I enjoy arises in part from unjust, illegal and genocidal dispossession of the first australians.
I'm prepared to accept that continuing indigenous disadvantage arises fro this also.
And think think it's our responsibility to face it, try to understand it, and support efforts to do something about it.

But instead of doing that, all the noise is about a millionaire footballer and how he can't cope with a few boos. The real issue everyone should be talking about is living standards and life expectancy of indigenous Australians. Not this bs. If Adam Goodes was the leader he thinks he is, he'd have taken the opportunity to turn the conversation into this direction, not hide away sooking.

bruntonave.

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 18, 2010
Total Tiger said:
But instead of doing that, all the noise is about a millionaire footballer and how he can't cope with a few boos. The real issue everyone should be talking about is living standards and life expectancy of indigenous Australians. Not this bs. If Adam Goodes was the leader he thinks he is, he'd have taken the opportunity to turn the conversation into this direction, not hide away sooking.

How do you know what he thinks he is?

And it's not him who is sooking.
it's all the 'how-dare-you-call-me-a-racist' , his dance was offensive etc. lot.
Let THEM talk about indigenous life expectancy instead of their own hurt feelings and imagined offence.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
bruntonave. said:
Ben Cousins is a Collard. The Collards are a large and fairly prominent nyoongar family.

Of topic as well
Yes the Collards are a prominent Noongar family.
Do you know if Ben is related to the Indigenous Collard's on his mother's or father's side?

The afl musn't be aware of that fact either

AFL Indigenous Achievements

Top 10 Indigenous players by games

300 - Gavin Wanganeen (Essendon/Port Adelaide)
291 - Andrew McLeod (Adelaide)
278 - Michael O'Loughlin (Sydney)
268 - Darryl White (Brisbane)
264 - Chris Johnson (Fitzroy/Brisbane)
253 - Peter Matera (West Coast)
251 - Nicky Winmar (St Kilda/Western Bulldogs)
227 - David Wirrpanda (West Coast)
237 - Jeff Farmer (Melbourne/Fremantle)
217 - Adam Goodes (Sydney)
Indigenous Player Honours

Three Brownlow Medals: Adam Goodes (2003, 2006), Gavin Wanganeen (1993)
Six Norm Smith Medals: Maurice Rioli, Peter Matera, Michael Long, Andrew McLeod (twice) and Byron Pickett
Twenty-four All Australian players
Twenty-seven Premiership players
Three NAB AFL Rising Star award winners: Byron Pickett (1998, Adam Goodes (1999), Danyle Pearce (2006)
I have the link but it's an official afl link, so I can't post it.

Ben might not identify as being Indigenous. He's not mentioned on any afl honours list. Never made an Indigenous All star team etc.I'm not sure when they started. Maybe he's related to a different branch of Collards?

*edited to explain why I can't post the link*

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
bruntonave. said:

it's all the 'how-dare-you-call-me-a-racist' , his dance was offensive etc. lot.
Let THEM talk about indigenous life expectancy instead of their own hurt feelings and imagined offence.

Haha the people you refer to are expressing opinions not sooking. Adam did have a sook. He used his footy role as an Indigenous pulpit and couldn't handle the heat. It works both ways. He couldn't cope and subsequently missed a few days and a premiership point game.

Indigenous life expectancy is a worthy cause for discussion but nothing to do with football.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Coburgtiger said:
There's a difference between disapproval and calling something barbaric. The haka is meant to intimidate, and you wouldn't call it barbaric.

Cotchin running around before the bounce whacking all his opponents was meant to intimidate. Is that barbaric?

Maric's mean eyes intimidate everyone, and I'm sure they're meant to. Hardly barbaric.

Barbaric is a horrible word to use to describe a celebration of indigenous culture. Even if you just referring to the spear part. Or does the spear just make it to real?

It was a dance move. I reckon the worm is more barbaric.

Rosy, I know I owed you a response, but I couldn't do better than CT. My grandparents were colonials in another part of the world. My grandfather used to to use that word (barbarian) to describe the locals, who he considered less than human.

Like coburgtiger, I find the word horrible.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
lukeanddad said:
Rosy, I know I owed you a response, but I couldn't do better than CT. My grandparents were colonials in another part of the world. My grandfather used to to use that word (barbarian) to describe the locals, who he considered less than human.

Like coburgtiger, I find the word horrible.

No worries lukeanddad. There are many definitions of the word and I posted the ones I thought applied to my comment. I'm not sure coburgtiger finds the word horrible generally. He didn't say so, he only mentioned one example of it and hasn't responded as to whether he'd read my explanation, and was obviously comfortable to use it for his own purpose. To me it's a perfect word to describe the shooting and spearing so many years ago. I can see no reason Adam Goodes chose to do it. Each to their own. :)

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Total Tiger said:

I agree.
bruntonave. said:

I think a lot is getting lost in the whole saga.
Whether Goodes is a role model or Goodes is a thin skinned sook. Whatever. Opinions are divided. Neither group is going to sway the other, (imo of course)

Hopefully a full and true reconciliation can be achieved, with it being inclusive rather than the divisive blame game that achieves very little.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
bruntonave. said:
Yeah, they're both very related to the topic.

Soon after the incident in the Collingwood game it came out that the perpetrator was young and maybe not 100% responsible for her actions.
Goodes addressed this directly the next morning. Impeccably.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg9ehFjrEjo
(go to 2.01)

Plenty of non indigenous Collards in WA too , I used to employ 3 of them
Im certain Cousins is not indigenous

bruntonave.

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 18, 2010
willo said:
Of topic as well
Yes the Collards are a prominent Noongar family.
Do you know if Ben is related to the Indigenous Collard's on his mother's or father's side?

On topic.

He hasn't identified in the past.

On the maternal side.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
bruntonave. said:
Yeah. it does.

You brought it up, if you weren't implying some sort of equivalence, then what was your point?

I have already answered this. But I'll try again.
The point was when Goodes referenced rapes and murders committed by whites against blacks. I said there were also rapes and murders committed by blacks against whites.
Did he mention that happening as well or did he only believe the former happened and not the latter?
I didn't imply any sort of equivalence. I merely stated a fact. No implication, fact.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
bruntonave. said:
On topic.

He hasn't identified in the past.

On the maternal side.

So he doesn't believe he is or doesn't want identify?
That's a conundrum in itself someone who is of aboriginal/indigenous heritage but doesn't identify as such, is he still aboriginal/indigenous?
I know of white people without any aboriginal/indigenous blood but who identify as being indigenous can be accepted as such.

You're not getting mixed up with Daniel Kerr by any chance?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
willo said:
I have already answered this. But I'll try again.
The point was when Goodes referenced rapes and murders committed by whites against blacks. I said there were also rapes and murders committed by blacks against whites.
Did he mention that happening as well or did he only believe the former happened and not the latter?
I didn't imply any sort of equivalence. I merely stated a fact. No implication, fact.

But what is the point of this fact? What does it contribute to the discussion? Its like saying, after we have shellacked Carlton by 20 goals to 3, in response to someone saying it was a shellacking. 'How dare you say that, Carlton played some good footy too, kicked a couple of good goals, Murphy took a good mark, Yarran made a good run from the backline".

Of course blackfellas resisted invasion.