Re: Adam Goodes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Re: Adam Goodes

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Coburgtiger said:
If an indigenous kid in my class performed a cultural dance, and was then jeered by the rest of the group consistently, I wouldn't say, "Ah, they probably just think he's a sook, so it's fine. I haven't got a signed affidavit from them admitting that they are racists. So best to just jeer with them. "

If an indigenous kid performed an impromptu "cultural"/"tradtitional"dance in the middle of your class, aiming it at non-indigenous people, that they said was meant to intimidate what would you say/do? What if a kid of another nationality did a so called cultural dance to intimidate? What if a white Australian did one? To me the action, and how it was intended, is more relevant that the race. Rather than showing they are against the actual race, as you claim, they show they are against the actions of a particular person.

Rantnrave

Tiger Legend
May 6, 2008
anyone intimidated by adams little traditional dance is without doubt a sheltered little sook

besides he did it on indigenous day....just how bloody right wing,soft and politicaly correct are we becoming...
Christ when eddie started whinging about how he should pre arranged the little jig and pre warned everybody I nearly choked on my porridge..what a load of conservastive boring trollop......

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Ian4 said:
my view is that Goodes was a brilliant footballer, who turned into to dirty footballer due to his lack of pace in his final years. I get the hate because he comes across as an average bloke.

How does he come across as an average bloke?

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
Coburgtiger said:
This is a really dangerous stance. Racism does not require proof beyond reasonable doubt to be exposed. There needs to be a zero tolerance attitude toward prejudice. Not a 'Well that guy said something racist, but maybe he wasn't being honest' attitude.

I think it's equally dangerous to come to conclusions about large groups of people because of the actions or intentions of a small minority.
Whether you like it or not, you must take each and every single instance in it's own right and basically, it's going to come down to your word against theirs.
Otherwise, every driver should get a ticket for speeding and for running a red light with your rego every year. Why not? It's common enough to reasonably assume that all drivers do both at least once a year.

While I'm at it, every catholic priest from the pope down is either a pedophile or supports pedophilia since enough of them are that it's beyond a reasonable doubt. And all you Catholics out there should be ashamed of yourselves for supporting pedophilia. And you're all going to hell by the way.

And all drivers of Holden Commodore utes are either hoons or supporting the hoons on the roads. You can't a Holden Commodore ute and say, 'I'm not part of THAT crowd.' Nope, you're a hoon or a supporter of hoons.

And finally Adam Goodes is NOT a race by himself. The lack of abuse towards other aboriginal footballers proves that the abuse is largely, not racially motivated despite what you say. Saying that lack of abuse towards Rioli but the large amount of abuse towards Goodes proves racism is ludicrous. If racism was driving this, then ALL aboriginal footballers would be copping large amounts of abuse every week. For whatever reason reason, some people just don't like Adam Goodes. Doesn't make it racist no matter what you all say. I tired of this. I'm just going to agree to disagree and move on. Like I said earlier, the show was over months ago.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
rosy23 said:
If an indigenous kid performed an impromptu "cultural"/"tradtitional"dance in the middle of your class, aiming it at non-indigenous people, that they said was meant to intimidate what would you say/do? What if a kid of another nationality did a so called cultural dance to intimidate? What if a white Australian did one? To me the action, and how it was intended, is more relevant that the race. Rather than showing they are against the actual race, as you claim, they show they are against the actions of a particular person.

If we were having a day /week dedicated to indigenous celebration, and a kid did the exact same dance Adam did, then I would welcome and applaud the dance.

Clearly.

Why would you do anything else?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
1eyedtiger said:
I think it's equally dangerous to come to conclusions about large groups of people because of the actions or intentions of a small minority.

The racists amongst the booers are not a small minority. They are a significant proportion, probably a majority. Thats the point as far as I'm concerned. You can keep saying it all you want, but you're wrong. And no, I haven't personally surveyed each booer to ask them to assess their racism level on a scale of 0 to 10.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
1eyedtiger said:
Whether you like it or not, you must take each and every single instance in it's own right and basically, it's going to come down to your word against theirs.
Otherwise, every driver should get a ticket for speeding and for running a red light with your rego every year. Why not? It's common enough to reasonably assume that all drivers do both at least once a year.

While I'm at it, every catholic priest from the pope down is either a pedophile or supports pedophilia since enough of them are that it's beyond a reasonable doubt. And all you Catholics out there should be ashamed of yourselves for supporting pedophilia. And you're all going to hell by the way.

And all drivers of Holden Commodore utes are either hoons or supporting the hoons on the roads. You can't a Holden Commodore ute and say, 'I'm not part of THAT crowd.' Nope, you're a hoon or a supporter of hoons.

And finally Adam Goodes is NOT a race by himself. The lack of abuse towards other aboriginal footballers proves that the abuse is largely, not racially motivated despite what you say. Saying that lack of abuse towards Rioli but the large amount of abuse towards Goodes proves racism is ludicrous. If racism was driving this, then ALL aboriginal footballers would be copping large amounts of abuse every week. For whatever reason reason, some people just don't like Adam Goodes. Doesn't make it racist no matter what you all say. I tired of this. I'm just going to agree to disagree and move on. Like I said earlier, the show was over months ago.

if they are the best arguments you can come up you know you have a problem.

Conan

Tiger Cub
Aug 23, 2015
rosy23 said:
I have never once heard or read that Adam scares people.

I thought his war dance scared the pants off people. Or at least imaginary pants off imaginary people with his imaginary spear. Pretty dangerous stuff.

Or maybe people are a little scared by that they either don't know, don't understand or don't want to know and understand?

Or maybe he's just a little to outspoken for us downtrodden whitefolk, if he only behaved like Cyril and buddy and Burgoyne, we love it when they give us so much joy on the field and don't challenge us off it. Funny how they all stand by Adam as did the RFC yet bonehead supporters failed to heed the calls for respect. Go figure?

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Conan said:
I thought his war dance scared the pants off people. Or at least imaginary pants off imaginary people with his imaginary spear. Pretty dangerous stuff.

Or maybe people are a little scared by that they either don't know, don't understand or don't want to know and understand?

Or maybe he's just a little to outspoken for us downtrodden whitefolk, if he only behaved like Cyril and buddy and Burgoyne, we love it when they give us so much joy on the field and don't challenge us off it. Funny how they all stand by Adam as did the RFC yet bonehead supporters failed to heed the calls for respect. Go figure?

Man, your horse is well high...!

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Personally I'm not a fan of the mass booing and carrying on when it gets to the level it has , and the person is clearly affected by it , whether it's racially motivated or not because I see it as a form of cowardly bullying .

But that's just my opinion and not expecting others to agree .

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
rosy23 said:
I have never once heard or read that Adam scares people.

Why are you always so literal Rosy? People lie. Or to be more diplomatic, they express themselves in ways that they are comfortable with, sometimes intentionally masking their feelings which they know to be odious so as to appear fair and balanced. Some are actually fooling themselves, they have convinced themselves that their opinions are well considered and represent the general opinions of the masses. They will never say the words "I just hate black people because they are black" who has ever said that? Does that mean racism doesn't exist? Or "Adam Goodes' confronting but measured and thoughtful expressions of the nature of the disconnect between the white majority and the indigenous minority threaten my need to feel that racism is a problem of the past." Does that mean they are not scared by him? Of course not. So I try to judge people on their actions, not their words and especially not their self-assessments. These are really unreliable. But actions are harder to fake. So the booers must be judged on their booing. Talk is cheap.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
KnightersRevenge said:
Why are you always so literal Rosy? People lie. ......

I tend to prefer facts than guesswork or hypotheticals. Is that ok by you? I was responding to a specific statement. I don't think people are scared of Goodes. I certainly haven't seen it claimed. Have you?

KnightersRevenge said:
....... People lie. Or to be more diplomatic, they express themselves in ways that they are comfortable with, sometimes intentionally masking their feelings which they know to be odious so as to appear fair and balanced. Some are actually fooling themselves, they have convinced themselves that their opinions are well considered and represent the general opinions of the masses. They will never say the words "I just hate black people because they are black" who has ever said that? Does that mean racism doesn't exist? Or "Adam Goodes' confronting but measured and thoughtful expressions of the nature of the disconnect between the white majority and the indigenous minority threaten my need to feel that racism is a problem of the past." Does that mean they are not scared by him? Of course not. So I try to judge people on their actions, not their words and especially not their self-assessments. These are really unreliable. But actions are harder to fake. ......

Gee not sure what all that has to do with whether people are scared of Goodes or not. Not sure why you ask if it means racism doesn't exist. Has anyone claimed that it doesn't? I'm not sure what you're getting at at all with that response to a quote about not reading or hearing people say they are scared of Adam. They could dislike him, they could dislike something he's done, they could be racist, they could be having a bit of sport. None make the behaviour towards him acceptable but to me actually being scared of him would be an unlikely cause.

KnightersRevenge said:
.... So the booers must be judged on their booing. Talk is cheap.

Still lost with the purpose of your response. In summary are you saying booers are scared?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I had a poster tell me to GAGF in a PM a couple of days ago. Is he sexist? Is he rude and obnoxious? Is he a bully? Does he dislike me? Over time my experience with him would suggest a bit of all of them. Is he scared of me? I doubt it very much. That's why I don't get your response to my simple claim Knighters. The only fact is that the person said it to me. The rest is only assumption and guesswork. Same with bulk-lot claiming people are scared of Goodes imo.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Re: Does the AFL discriminate?

rosy23 said:
I tend to prefer facts than guesswork or hypotheticals. Is that ok by you? I was responding to a specific statement. I don't think people are scared of Goodes. I certainly haven't seen it claimed. Have you?
Still lost with the purpose of your response. In summary are you saying booers are scared?

rosy23 said:
The AFL encouraged every indigenous player to do the so called war dance. How they can actively support crowd intimidation from any players is beyond me.

Intimidation: Synonyms: frightening, menacing, terrifying, scaring, alarming, terrorization, terrorizing, cowing, subduing, daunting, unnerving;

You've claimed the crowd was intimidated, but not scared?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Re: Does the AFL discriminate?

Coburgtiger said:

I don't recall that. Please provide a link so I can see the context.

My comments regarding intimidation have been based on Adam's own claim that it was supposed to "intimidate". I doubt too many actually felt that way. Doesn't mean they liked it just the same. Plenty it wasn't aimed at obviously disliked it too.

Coburgtiger said:
Intimidation: Synonyms: frightening, menacing, terrifying, scaring, alarming, terrorization, terrorizing, cowing, subduing, daunting, unnerving;

Bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion to abuse, intimidate", or aggressively dominate others. The behavior is often repeated and habitual. One essential prerequisite is the perception, by the bully or by others, of an imbalance of social or physical power, which distinguishes bullying from conflict.

You can make definitions say what you want them to.

P.S. I didn't say they were "not scared". Please don't twist my words. It was claimed people are scared and I said I'd never read or heard anyone say they were scared. That leads me to thinking they weren't scared but I wouldn't have a clue.