Recruiting and development | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Recruiting and development

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
We have been doing great things with recruiting, but I think that the development is stunning. And I think the credit should go to our mental development staff. Confidence in such young men, getting them to believe in themselves and each other, sorting out their issues so that they can clearly play without the distractions.
Sydney Stack has obviously been the main beneficiary, but Mabior has come ahead. Mental health development means clearer thinking, making better decisions.
All the players appear to have the confidence required to help themselves and the club.

Reactions: 6 users

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
about time. We lagged behind the entire league in recruiting (inclusive of resources to scout talent) development and welfare of our players. From the introduction of drafting right through to the late 2000's we where just terrible at this. Right people, correctly resources and presto. Even more impressive was winning the 2017 flag where just a few years prior the vast majority of talent was drained towards GWS and the Suns. Board stability, solid president, a CEO who will soon run the AFL, Neil Balme who just knows the winning formula and a coaching team who adjusted the culture, style and ethos of this team that is polar opposites to what Richmond was 10-15 years ago. Many scars to heal yet from 37 years of consistent disappointment but off to a good start with top 8 finished 5 of the last 6 years, flag '17, top of the ladder '18 and what we all hope is a wave of form and momentum that small a lot like '17 this year !

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Listening to Matthew Clarke the key to me was about how much they concentrated on the person when recruiting. When asked about Patrick Naish his answer was that his growth was as a person more than as a footballer.
This is what good employers do, they understand their best asset is people and they invest in them.
It’s very impressive

Reactions: 5 users

Brimmy

Tassie Tiger
Apr 19, 2018
Success requires getting all your Ducks in a row.We were pathetic at this for a long time,not anymore,now we lead the pack,we’re a destination club & have the biggest membership of any sporting club in the land.

Our Recruitment/Development is now properly resourced & up with the best in the Competition.

You may have seen that the European Draft Combine in Dublin tested 20 Gaelic Football hopefuls, narrowed down to 4 who were brought to Aust and trained at the AFL Academy with the U 18/U17 Standouts.

Of these 4 there are two standouts:Ross McQuillan 20yo,186cms,athletic and likes the physical stuff & Luke Towey ditto.

Richmond & Essendon are interested in both and are front runners, but there are other clubs Collingwood,North Melbourne,Carlton also putting their hand up.

They’ve toured Richmond let’s hope we snare Towey or McQuillam.McQuillam who tested 2.77sec for the 20 metres is the Bookies front runner, my gut feel is that the back story on Towey suggests he has the Determination to make a go of it, fingers crossed.

Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
It’s great that everyone, from the media, to my mates say that we are a great club, both on and off the field.
Those 37 years of dispare, demoralisiation, ridicule and jokes don’t hurt quite so much anymore.
Have always been proud to be a Richmond member, but there’s a bit of a spring is this old Tigers step.

Last edited:

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Cannot fault our recruitment and development in the last 3-4 years.
Does it make up for 30 years? The flag certainly helps.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I can remember some very dark drinks being at the All Nations after losing to North Melbourne in another EF. All we craved was some respect.

Thankfully times have changed. Dramatically.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
And all this point to how laughable it is to think that throwing draft picks at Gold Coast will fix all their problems. How many clubs have had a raft of top line talent folat through their door only to see it basically sink with all hands on deck inside 24 months.

We're consistently turning late picks and rookies into footballers while certain other clubs are squandering first round talent.

Reactions: 1 user

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Matthew Clarkes podcast certainly showed the world how our club operates and puts player welfare so highly with is why we seem to be able to help those that have had a disadvantaged life up to now to mature and become role models to others. If only more clubs will follow our lead

Reactions: 1 user

Bennnny

Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
Matthew Clarkes podcast certainly showed the world how our club operates and puts player welfare so highly with is why we seem to be able to help those that have had a disadvantaged life up to now to mature and become role models to others. If only more clubs will follow our lead
Where can I find the podcast?

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Was reading elsewhere that Emma Murray did work at St. Kilda but it didn't work. She talked at a Club 80 function.
Wasn't Club80, we had her booked early this year but she broke her foot & had to pull out.
She spoke @ 3121 last Sunday

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
And all this point to how laughable it is to think that throwing draft picks at Gold Coast will fix all their problems. How many clubs have had a raft of top line talent folat through their door only to see it basically sink with all hands on deck inside 24 months.

We're consistently turning late picks and rookies into footballers while certain other clubs are squandering first round talent.

Geez, I remember when we were the team that squandered draft picks and were terrible at developing players. You would watch as teams like Essendon would just keep finding great players. It wasn't a coincidence, great clubs do great things off field to develop players. I get the feeling this is not easy to get right and it is so good to see Richmond succeed and develop young and even not so young talent.

DS

Bennnny

Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
When you see teams not succeeding for a long time, you have to think it's the management that is the issue. All players can play otherwise they wouldn't get picked. It's what you do afterwards that the issue. Players need to grow as people, not just as footballers. Getting the mental side sorted allows players to focus.