Rich V Carl - Team Selection | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rich V Carl - Team Selection

Another night another game lost at selection. Must be football season again!

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Yes I know.

But back to your point, pressure forwards are now redundant in the game. So again what purpose does he serve if that’s the case.

I agree with you that Mansell isn’t the player to play that role but i disagree that pressure small forwards aren’t required.

What MRJ did at times last year literally swung games back in our favour.
My issue is with defensive forwards (forwards whose job is to man a backman). You still need forwards to pressure, but they need to be forwards as well.

Hence, Rioli.

Reactions: 3 users
Agreed, whilst Cumbo is small, he plays like a mid. He doesn't really have any defensive pressure, certainly not the level of most small forwards. If he can bring that to his game, he would be elite but at this stage he doesn't. We will be going with the 2 talls, plus 1 medium and then pressure players / resting tall forward this season and as you say Cumbo is competing for that medium forward role with 1 Dustin Martin.

Hopefully he can work on upping the pressure side to his game, as that would mean he could play 1 of the smaller roles and he could then turn himself into an elite small forward.

Or get better at his strengths and replace Jack's role from 2024 on (possibly earlier injuries depending).

Reckon that is the easier path for him.

Reactions: 1 users
According to the club Sonsie is available for selection which begs the question why he wasn't selected?

Reactions: 1 users
Balta has really plateaued as a footballer, if not gone backwards. To be honest he’s just a dumb footballer, who’s clumsy as well.
Talk about an overreaction. Balta would walk into EVERY other teams best 22, undoubtedly.

How quickly we forget how good he was as a KPD - it's not his fault he was moved into the forward line and ruck which killed any continuity he once had.

Reactions: 4 users
Graham an odd choice given his lack of preparation. I would roll with Clarke given Caesar’s wraps on his preseason.
Caesar’s wraps are delicious for the most part - the odd funky morsel.
Love to see my boy Miller hold his spot. Disappointed in Cumbo and Ross missing out. Maybe they have some work to do. Our depth is a strength.
Can’t wait to see the Hoppanto in action. GO TIGES!

I don't get the big rap for Marchbank in here. He's made of glass and never really available - what's he really done recently of note?

You don't miss what you haven't really had. Wouldn't surprise me if he got the bullet at season's end.

Also - might be just me, but ... Samson Ryan's name looks like it's the wrong way around. Ryan Samsom. There we go. Fixed.

Last edited:
  • Haha
This side offers a lot of flexibility. So many of them can play multiple roles if we need to change it up. Dimma likes that & has regularly talked about it as a strength.
That said first up he’s backed in the guys that have delivered for him before. Here’s hoping he gets them to go again.
Interesting that we dont have 7 backs like normal. For example it was 6 + Broad on the bench.
I get that Short can play back.
Miller will be ruck forward but can go back if needed.
But where does the back interchange/ rest come from?

Interesting that we dont have 7 backs like normal. For example it was 6 + Broad on the bench.
I get that Short can play back.
Miller will be ruck forward but can go back if needed.
But where does the back interchange/ rest come from?
Miller has been training back for 2 weeks and with no Young I do not see Miller going forward, may be a matter of a balancing act between bench/ruck/defense for Miller.

Sub still to be named but would be a mid rather than Sampson you'd think.

Reactions: 1 user
Docherty getting 35+ possies off HB and dominating the game is our biggest thereat IMO. He can bring Saads overlap run into the game and hit up Curnow with 45m bullets just forward of center. Based on our aging forwards who apply the pressure of a strip of 2nd hand masking tape, I understand why we are trying to find some forward pressure alongside Rioli Jnr. I assume Mansell will scrap with Docherty all night, accidently elbow him in the back of the head every time he tackles him, cause several melees and end up getting suspended for 2 weeks. And Dimma will be stoked.

Now THATS a plan I like!

Reactions: 1 user
Docherty getting 35+ possies off HB and dominating the game is our biggest thereat IMO. He can bring Saads overlap run into the game and hit up Curnow with 45m bullets just forward of center. Based on our aging forwards who apply the pressure of a strip of 2nd hand masking tape, I understand why we are trying to find some forward pressure alongside Rioli Jnr. I assume Mansell will scrap with Docherty all night, accidently elbow him in the back of the head every time he tackles him, cause several melees and end up getting suspended for 2 weeks. And Dimma will be stoked.
Was thinking Mansell could apply the sneaky tap to the agates of Docherty to slow him down a bit n then realised I'm not sure if Doc's got any agates left to tap. Nigel might be best off just snottin him early n copping the four weeks.

• Haha