Rich V Carl - Team Selection | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rich V Carl - Team Selection

I dare say they have a defensive forward job in store for him on Docherty or Newman.
Yeah but all teams have attacking half backs. The defensive forward still has to hurt back the other way.
Maurice Junior is dangerous.
Butler was creative and dangerous, as was Higgins who maybe lacked defensively.
Mansell just isn’t creative enough and it won’t last

Reactions: 3 users
I think it is obviously underrated just how good Cumberland was as a permanent forward in his first year.
And I get more disappointed with each drink..!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Doesn’t send a great message to players that have completed a near flawless pre season being bypassed over players like Graham who has done barely anything.
Ross should consider himself a bit hard done by.
Judson Clarke has shown plenty but may still be considered under developed.
Ralphsmith might also feel the same about Pickett’s selection.
Although I’m not a huge wrap for Mansell, I like the idea that he’s been rewarded for having a great preseason.
Juddy is well ahead of Hugo for mine as to what he can add to the side.

Ross wouldve been in had he not had that knee injury the past 3 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it is obviously underrated just how good Cumberland was as a permanent forward in his first year.
And I get more disappointed with each drink..!
Has made way for the Tiger King.

Noah hasn't impressed since the return of the GOAT.

Martin and Cotchin rotating forward is his problem as the club does need a small pressure player forward to help Uncle Moju.

Juddy is stiff if you ask me also.

Reactions: 6 users
On paper it’s a very strong team.

The concern is how we manage a fair few underdone players.

Interesting selection by Carlton going in with one ruck.

Agree, just on underdone players, the Blues are in the same boat.

Cripps has overcome an ankle complaint to be named in the Blues' 22, while Mitch McGovern (back), Jack Martin (calf) and youngster Jesse Motlop (calf) have also been selected.

On the ruck they will go with silvagni, up against Miller one would think.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah but all teams have attacking half backs. The defensive forward still has to hurt back the other way.
Maurice Junior is dangerous.
Butler was creative and dangerous, as was Higgins who maybe lacked defensively.
Mansell just isn’t creative enough and it won’t last
Daniel Rioli ?

Thatd be robbing Peter to pay Paul but Short can go back.

Terrible team selections for mine. Underdone players with some not even having a cameo in any scratch matches. You can do as many 100m sprints as you like nothing compensates for match simulation. Understand the need for Mansell as the pressure fwd but not sure he has the mental skills to know where to run or which holes to fill.
Noah out is a joke. Kid was a star last year. This is why Jack and Cotch should have been tapped on the shoulder. Noah and Tom are a better duo as Jack is cooked. Would also have preferred Ross in place of Cotch.
This game will be close to half time and then we will get blown away by leg speed and fitness. Graham will be blowing a fuse by qtr time.
So frustrating that team selections are going to be our downfall again this year.

Reactions: 1 users
Terrible team selections for mine. Underdone players with some not even having a cameo in any scratch matches. You can do as many 100m sprints as you like nothing compensates for match simulation. Understand the need for Mansell as the pressure fwd but not sure he has the mental skills to know where to run or which holes to fill.
Noah out is a joke. Kid was a star last year. This is why Jack and Cotch should have been tapped on the shoulder. Noah and Tom are a better duo as Jack is cooked. Would also have preferred Ross in place of Cotch.
This game will be close to half time and then we will get blown away by leg speed and fitness. Graham will be blowing a fuse by qtr time.
So frustrating that team selections are going to be our downfall again this year.

Chin up Dimma ol Son lets see how it plays out.

Last edited:
how the hell are we going to contain McKay and Curnow? Grimes has been a champion but he’s been slowing down for the last 18months. Can he find that form again at his age? We’ll see I guess

Balta has really plateaued as a footballer, if not gone backwards. To be honest he’s just a dumb footballer, who’s clumsy as well. And that’s ok, if he just keeps it simple. We just need him to be “Down the line Noah”

Nank just has to drop back, and Miller take the ruck around the ground.

I just don’t see any other way

Whilst this isn't the sexiest side we could put out, the positives are the youngsters who will come into the side in the next 2-3 weeks.

Cumberland, Judson and Sonz are some great inclusions in the next week or 3, then there is also Gibbus going forward further down the track who will have put on extra size by the time he gets back on the park.

Lets not freak out too early peeps, lets see how it goes before making to many assumptions with nothing to back them up.

Admit Im surprised by the non-inclusion of Cumberland, but could be a bullet up the butt to get his mind right, no idea.

Surely this team should still be good enough to get us off to a winning start, if the minds are on the job....

Eat 'em Alive Tiges !!!

Reactions: 5 users
Sounds like you are a fitness coach? At the end of tomorrow we will know more but only the coaches know where everyone is really at. I agree that Noah was a star last year however do you know why he’s not in the team ? Is it form or a discipline issue? You can’t comment when you don’t know. I trust a 3 time premiership coach and a very smart coaching team to make the right calls. It’s a 23 round season and we will see plenty of changes throughout the year. Go Tiges

Reactions: 4 users
Has made way for the Tiger King.

Noah hasn't impressed since the return of the GOAT.

Martin and Cotchin rotating forward is his problem as the club does need a small pressure player forward to help Uncle Moju.

Juddy is stiff if you ask me also.
Nailed it Craig.

Unfortunately for Cumberland he is competing for the same spot as arguably the greatest player of all time.

I wouldn’t go as far as you have but the question has to be asked. Underdone players and sentimental selections will not get us far.

Nailed it Craig.

Unfortunately for Cumberland he is competing for the same spot as arguably the greatest player of all time.

Agreed, whilst Cumbo is small, he plays like a mid. He doesn't really have any defensive pressure, certainly not the level of most small forwards. If he can bring that to his game, he would be elite but at this stage he doesn't. We will be going with the 2 talls, plus 1 medium and then pressure players / resting tall forward this season and as you say Cumbo is competing for that medium forward role with 1 Dustin Martin.

Hopefully he can work on upping the pressure side to his game, as that would mean he could play 1 of the smaller roles and he could then turn himself into an elite small forward.

Dimma's speed out of the blocks makes Usain Bolt look like Mick Nolen at full sprint.......... .
Jump Hit GIF

that team is as hard as Baker's ball sack

hard, conditioned, experienced

all eyes on our back division. the mids should hold their own more in 2022 and the forwards will be mercurial as always.

i'm interested in seeing how many brain fades Balta has or if Grimes can return to form. if our backline can find form and continuity then we are top four specials.

Reactions: 6 users