Richmond is my second team & has the best song | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond is my second team & has the best song

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Not so long ago, I would be at a Barbie or similar, and someone would ask me who I barracked for ..
There would be a bit of an awkward pause, then they would tell me how hilarious it was that The Tigers keep finishing ninth ......
In a sympathetic voice they would then tell me that they barracked for so and so successful team,
But that Richmond was their "second" team .... and "hey, you guys have got the best song at least.......Ha Ha Ha ....."

But not anymore ...... :cupgold

Nowadays I hear people saying that Richmond supporters are arrogant...........

If enjoying success, being confident and being happy to talk footy to anyone, after copping years of abuse is arrogance, then yes I am.

And BTW, there is no such thing as a "second team", but you are right, "Yellow and Black" screamed by 90k voices is awesome.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Now I get "oh not another one, you've all come out of the woodwork"

To which I say "get *smile*"

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
My mates who support other clubs virtually stop discussing footy once I bring up how well we are travelling.
None of them want to hear it. It's so great being hated. :rotfl2

• Haha

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Now I get "oh not another one, you've all come out of the woodwork"
We're in the middle of a renovation at our place (living in half a home and waiting for the builders to return... thanks a lot, COVID).

Anyway, I was emptying a box the other day and found my first ever membership ticket -- a concession ticket from 1991 when I was in the last year of my degree. I think it had six holes punched (as they did things back then) to mark the games I attended.

I must admit to having a passing thought that I should pop it in my wallet and bring it out anytime someone makes a wisecrack about jumping on the bandwagon.

Now up to 30 years' continuous membership, of which the first 26 were pretty bloody dire!!!

Reactions: 9 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
I have a photo of me in battle armour off to my first ever bandwagon jumping game...the 74 GF.

Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
My nephew, an Essendon supporter said to me during the dark times....... I don't know how you can barrack for Richmond. Well the shoe is on the other foot, have a guess what I say to him everytime I see him :mhihi
And doesn't he sook it up.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
A common comment I’m finding more then ever is “ not really interested in footy now, it’s *smile* “ very common with Hawthorn , North Melbourne and Essendon supporters ....yep *smile* em

• Love

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I was in a Walkabouts in London a few weeks ago and got talking to a few people, some of Aussies included and of course footy came up and as I am a Pom was accused of knowing **** all about the game and being a bandwagon jumper as well. Maybe I am not as knowledgeable about all aspects of the game as some but know my way round most of it and had great delight stuffing my 19 year gold member card under their noses and then recited the theme song to them to shut them up. To be fair get did get wasted after that.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
A common comment I’m finding more then ever is “ not really interested in footy now, it’s *smile* “ very common with Hawthorn , North Melbourne and Essendon supporters ....yep *smile* em
Definitely Hawthorn fans. Said this before but how many Hawks fans lost interest in footy between from the decade of the mid 90s to mid 2000s. Family, golf, lost interest.....

Reactions: 2 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Definitely Hawthorn fans. Said this before but how many Hawks fans lost interest in footy between from the decade of the mid 90s to mid 2000s. Family, golf, lost interest.....
Lot of those Heraldsun premiers bumperstickers are starting to fade an peel

Reactions: 3 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004

Yeah I hear a lot of that , and it’s always supporters who have had success in the past , but aren’t going well now.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Had a few guys that I used to have a slab bet with whenever our teams played.
I lost far more times than I won......
Then all of a sudden The Tiggers improved and they didnt want to bet anymore .......how dumb am I?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

yep that’s what I hear all the time.

I respond by saying there is always next year

Reactions: 1 user

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
While we were still going to games during those dark days and use to cop some beltings, out in the rain , till the end.
Then the slow train, tram or bus ride home.

Reactions: 1 users

Isotopes

Tiger Rookie
Aug 3, 2013
Like a lot of mid 40's tigers, i got onboard at the worst time - early 80s.
Years and years... and even more years of crap, decades between just making the finals, only got through it because of a handful of great players to watch -Richo & M.Knights for me.
The past decade has been a dream, no year will ever surpass 2017. So glad my 9yo tiger cub has seen only success.

Reactions: 5 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
My enjoyment is offering unsolicited advice on how to survive long, read: decades, periods without success to Crows, Hawks and Bombers fans. To even suggest they could be down there for 37 years really gets to them.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
My enjoyment is offering unsolicited advice on how to survive long, read: decades, periods without success to Crows, Hawks and Bombers fans. To even suggest they could be down there for 37 years really gets to them.
Same. Tell bomber, blues and now hawk fans it's a tough journey but you need to stick fat coz after decades and decades of crap the wait is worth it.

Reactions: 3 users