Richmond undecided on draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond undecided on draft

A

admin

By Jake Niall
December 17 2002

Richmond, on the verge of signing Matthew Lappin only days ago, may not even participate in what is certain to be a threadbare pre-season draft.

The Tigers effectively have the first live pick in the pre-season draft, due to Carlton's non-participation and St Kilda's commitment to Stephen Powell. But Richmond football director Greg Miller yesterday confirmed that the Tigers were undecided about whether they would pick a player on Friday.

"We may (have a pick)," Miller said. "We'll make a decision on whether we get value out of it."

As few as six clubs could end up participating in Friday's draft, should the Tigers opt out.

Miller said the Tigers remained interested in Brisbane utility Craig Bolton, who has indicated his preference is to be recruited by Sydney.

Geelong coach Mark Thompson said the Cats were yet to decide whether they would punt on a kid or a player with AFL experience.

He said if they did select a seasoned player, former tagger Carl Steinfort - delisted by Collingwood - was a chance to be taken, but added: "It's more likely we'll pick someone who hasn't played before."

Collingwood will have a choice on Friday, with Steinfort's delisting opening up a spot on its list. Melbourne is still assessing midfielder Guy Rigoni, who pulled up sore after a tough training session last Friday. The Demons are also considering former Adelaide youngster Michael Handby, who can play as a tall defender.

St Kilda, Geelong, Sydney, Melbourne and Collingwood are the only certain participants on Friday.

londontiger

The New RFC Cheersquad Chant.
Dec 17, 2002
London , United Kingdon
This is a tough one.

On the outside looking in, Richmond have made some bad errors in recruiting in the last 20 years So what do we do with effectively the number one pick in the Washed Up draft?

The pick will probably never play good footy in 2003(unless Bolton or Powell - but even that is yet to be realised)

So we have to think about what is best for the Club.

My top 5 suggestions.
1. Save the cash
2.Scott Homewood (Richmond)- Ok we waved goodbye, but he is still training with the Tigers. A boot up the backside never hurt anyone.
3.Bolton(Brisbane) - just to rattle the Sydney cage.
4.Matthew Shir - (Adelaide) - Training with Richmond, 21 years old, played 6 games for a very talented Adelaide last year (rounds 15 to 21). Mid size defender role?
5.Craig Ednie (Richmond) - I would back the youngster again.

I would obviously have these guys on the minimum and make them earn the spot on the list for next year.

p.s. Ang Cristou (Carlton) - (Real Smokey) Pay him the minimum and may make a good reserves leader to help the young guys coming through - got to be better than Matt Dundas and Paul Hudson.

What do the tiger faithful think?

A

admin

Hiya londontiger and welcome. :)

I think it's a tricky one what we'll do with the draft.
Just our luck to get top pick and have noone who really stands out there to choose from.

Firstly, I was amazed we had room in the salary cap to offer to draft Lappin.
If we have that much room I see no reason to go with a short list really.
If there is a player available who will improve our team, then I'd say go for it.

We don't owe Sydney any favours. If Craig Bolton's the player we need and we can afford him then that's tough luck for Sydney.
If he's not, then they can have him.

I was amazed Ednie got the chop before a couple of others, and wouldn't be sorry to see him back. I like the guy and his efforts from limited chances. I wish Pettifer had Ednies heart.
I wonder if there would be others who would have gone before Craig if we didn't have contract restrictions.

Scotty Homewood is certainly worth having on our list if his shoulder is alright.
He wouldn't cost the earth, and he's a good tall back up which we really need.
He hasn't had a lot of chance, and could be a late developer as some talls tend to be.
At least the club knows Scotty, so if he's training with us, and his shoulder is ok, I kind of expect him to be drafted again.

I don't really know enough about the available players, but all I hope is that we don't put ourselves under salary cap pressure again.

The rookie draft is really important to get right seeing we drafted older guys earlier on. We need some young kids coming through ready for the future.

Go Tiges.

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
Bugger, choice number 1 or 2 and no-one "decent" in the draft. Talk about all dressed up and no where to go...

Personnally unless the recruiting staff know something we dont (not at all unlikely I might add) I suggest sitting this one out and going in for lots of rookies.

My smokie might be Angwin. He's certainly a talented footballer has height and speed. I havent seen much of him though so cant get to excited. And has a really bad behaviour rep (his drink driving convictions might not sit well with the TAC).

tigertrue

! tiger time
Dec 17, 2002
Hello everybody (re: the new board)

Bolton has been the best/most likely choice for this draft for the past 2 months, give or take Powell who got a high middle-tier contract out of Dud-Kilda (I'm glad we weren't that stupid); & Matt Lappin who was really only worth it in order to prolong the sound of those Blue Bastards moaning.

Anybody who imagines an emergency utility for the current back to back premiers (Des Hedland was as much 12 months ago) is somehow not worth a punt, is a couple of hams short of xmas dinner.

Likewise, whoever couldn't see that another tall option was missing from our line-up last year has kangaroos in the top paddock.

Bolton is a more exciting prospect than Blumfield,
and if Ian Fleming & Hill-Billy Nichols look like better long-term options then I must be a 6 pack short of a bbq.

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
I think some people might be giving Bolton a bit more credit than he's due. OK, so he's on the list of the back to back premiers - thats a good start but he hasnt done much there. He played about 6 games this year I think and impressed enough to be dropped like a hot spud as soon as possible. I recognise stats can be misleading, especially for backs, but he averages about 7 possessions a game, hardly world shattering stuff.

Apart fromthe fact he's at the Lions, what have others actually seen that makes him seem such a good thing?

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Apart fromthe fact he's at the Lions, what have others actually seen that makes him seem such a good thing?

I think people see him as the best tall available (which is what we need). No one else comes to mind. Would Dean Talbot be in the running?

I guess the club could save the dough and pick up some spare talls in the rookie draft but they can only be promoted if a senior-list player cops a season ending injury. We still need a back-up tall in defence even if (touchwood - Not!) say a Gas or dutchy does a hamstring and they're out for 2-3 weeks.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
I say just take Bolton he will learn to like it at Tigerland!!!

If not give Shir a go as another midfielder/small defender option

I dunno about Homewood Ednie etc but couldnt they be drafted as rookies instead? Maybe not Ednie.. but most of the others????

Its pretty lean pickings :( just our luck when we have number 1 pick (as good as anyway) cant see any other players coming up before Friday is it????

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
I had a peak at what the swans supporters were saying about Bolton. This was posted about him on RedandWhiteOnline:

I have been looking at the Brisbane site in Big Footy. The feeling on Craig Bolton is that the fans are very sorry to see him leave as he is an excellent clubman and was played out of position. I have previously expressed the same views on Bolton in regard to him being a half back or a mid fielder rather than having to mark a tall forward . He just does not have the strength to compete with the likes of Tarrant ,Hamill etc. For the Lions reserves he averaged 30-40 touches per game.

Bolton is listed on the Brisbane official site as 190cm tall and weighing 86kg. Maybe he isn't the tall option we require. Would we still pick him up and play him instead off half-back or the midfield?

Like someone else said it seems we're all dressed up with a virtual first pick and have nowhere to go ???.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
This is a tough one.

My top 5 suggestions.
1. Save the cash
2.Scott Homewood (Richmond)- Ok we waved goodbye, but he is still training with the Tigers.  A boot up the backside never hurt anyone.
3.Bolton(Brisbane) - just to rattle the Sydney cage.
4.Matthew Shir - (Adelaide) - Training with Richmond, 21 years old, played 6 games for a very talented Adelaide last year (rounds 15 to 21).  Mid size defender role?  
5.Craig Ednie (Richmond) - I would back the youngster again.

Geez London, seems like you may have been spending too much time in The London !

Mr Ed-nie, I could live with being re-drafted. But as for Dagwood, he needs one more boot up the backside - that being one that sends him out the door !

tro-boy

Get in my belly
Dec 18, 2002
Melbourne
www.austinpowers.com
My gut feeling is that we should take Bolten. He wont be expensive so what is the point in saving the cash. All the reports say he has excellant stamina and fitness. Could fit in nicely as a running halfback flanker.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
I'd be choosing Bolton but.... Shir is training with the Tigers and everyone iis really impressed with him so.............he may a "Shir Bet" ;)

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
I don't like the name 'Craig' for Richmond. We haven't had much luck with Craigs over the years. Bidders, Lambert (walked out), Stewart, anybody think of a good Craig? I'd have to go back to McKellar.
Now, Matthew Shir sounds good. Matthew is a good strong name. We've had Richo, Knighter etc. On that basis, I'd be going for Shir. :)

TigerFury

Eloquent Feral
Dec 19, 2002
Belgrave
My view is that Ednie is good enough but too small to play AFL. What the club should do is put him aside for a year (off the list) and pump him up with steroids and then redraft him the following year.

Then we would have a Brent Harvey like player on our hands (without suggesting that Harver is on the 'roids!)

Homewood just isn't good enough to cut it as a senior AFL player. From what I saw of him in the Wizard Cup this year, he just doesn't have the smarts required.

I am still mystified as to why Poyas was dropped - he certainly had enough ability but never seemed to get enough chances.

As for Bolton saying he prefers to go to Sydney - doesn't this amount to draft tampering? Or would Sydney be excluded from that? :eek:

Didn't know much about Shir at Adelaide - not being able to crack into a midfield that contains McLeod, Johnson, Riccutio et al is no disgrace however. What we must be careful of though, is not getting too many midfielder, none of whom are good enough!