Richmond VFL team v Williamstown | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond VFL team v Williamstown

Jukes Extended 2.0

Tiger Cub
Jan 28, 2023
They’ve actually done well this year with a very young side at times.
Agreed, we in the middle of the pack of the ladder. Considering all the injuries only had about 10-12 AFL listed players available most weeks.
A lot of deadwood on our list it seems but still have some good kids like Coulthard, Gibcus, Sonsie, Brown, Ryan, Banks who have protentional.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Agreed, we in the middle of the pack of the ladder. Considering all the injuries only had about 10-12 AFL listed players available most weeks.
A lot of deadwood on our list it seems but still have some good kids like Coulthard, Gibcus, Sonsie, Brown, Ryan, Banks who have protentional.
In one game earlier in the year we had 4 afl listed players. Call it 5 because Tresize played but wasn’t afl listed then

Reactions: 1 user

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
I really scratch my head on Steely Green. I can't see what they saw in him whatsoever! Nothing like Liam Baker.
Was named in our best on the website :ROFLMAO: reckon Manfred has had a bit of a mare there. He was non existent most of the game
IMG_2290.jpeg

• Wow

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
As Dermott Brereton said on SEN crunch time today. He has had reason to watch a fair bit of our VFL team this year and their ain't much talent there.
Im surprised he makes out the colors let alone who's playing.
50 bucks he couldn't tell you whos on our list and who's the top ups.
He works for SEN.
SEN in Latin means.
'Anyone Who Hates RFC is hired'

This is the same Dermie that said we had no chance against Port in 2020.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Miller - 3 possies/1 goal
Clarke - 7 possies
Biggy - 5 possies/4 tackles
Campbell - 6 possies/4 tackles
Green - 6 possies/1 goal
Bradtke - 12 possies/2 goals
Ryan - 6 possies/18 hitouts/4 clearances
Brown - 18 possies/4 inside 50's
Dow - 23 possies/5 clearances/7 inside 50's
Ralphsmith - 15 possies/7 marks/1 goal
Trezise - 17 possies/5 marks/4 tackles
Sonsie - 31 possies/8 marks/8 clearances/5 inside 50's
Bit harsh on Miller and Juddy. Both of them went off injured. Clearly you didnt watch the game.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Most of the better afl affiliated vfl teams have a few experienced ex afl players in their squad.
For the last 2 years we have had younger top up players, a lot of who are trying to get into an afl list, plus Richmond listed players, many of them very young.
It means that sometimes when we come up against the better teams we are out muscled.
I am not saying it is a bad tactic, but it won’t win us a vfl flag.

Reactions: 5 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Most of the better afl affiliated vfl teams have a few experienced ex afl players in their squad.
For the last 2 years we have had younger top up players, a lot of who are trying to get into an afl list, plus Richmond listed players, many of them very young.
It means that sometimes when we come up against the better teams we are out muscled.
I am not saying it is a bad tactic, but it won’t win us a vfl flag.
It's certainly a way to keep costs down!

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
It's certainly a way to keep costs down!
I see it as ensuring our players get full opportunities. Not having Lloyd Marcon types, big bodies to protect the youth and take the responsibility.
Instead over the last few seasons we've asked RCD, Dow, Sonsie etc to do the lifting.
And given opportunities to find a Tresize or Young.

Its a good strategy but we dont win games.
And so miss the experience playing vfa finals. Can't have everything

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
That's what happens when you dominate for a while. The draft etc pretty quickly push you back down. Unless you trade up or give away talent, it's rebuild the hard way.

We can only expect so many rookie picks to turn into Liam Bakers.
That’s a cop out. We butchered top 20 picks for four years ( Higgins, RCD, Dow , CCJ.). We get three of those right or even two and we are still competitive. Thats how tight the margins are.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
That’s a cop out. We butchered top 20 picks for four years ( Higgins, RCD, Dow , CCJ.). We get three of those right or even two and we are still competitive. Thats how tight the margins are.
Disagree on Higgins. He's talented.
RCD and Dow, see above. There's garbage mostly left in the draft when they were picking.
CCJ - looked OK with us - was probably drafted as a ruck, not a forward. Since shown he's a pea heart to date.

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
I cannot believe how much our skills have dropped off over the last month. Clearly the better side individually but we beat ourselves with poor kicking and poor choices. I have said before I believe our Club's football IQ has plummeted in the last few years (Green, Cumberland, HRS, Pickett, Mcintosh, Hicks, MRJ etc). This is highlighted when someone like Coultard arrives and McDonagh is not playing. Skills are important but so is game awareness, leadership, enthusiasm and professionalism. For example it was so obvious that all our tall backs play from behind (so do our forwards) allowing Willy to lob the ball short, resulting in either a free or a mark.
Enough pessimism, Bradke can be a star but needs a tutor. Dropped easy marks, wild kicking but still had 12 possessions and 2 goals, could/should have kicked a bag. Get him a private tutor (Leppitch type) if we cannot buy a KFF or draft one then we need to make one.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I cannot believe how much our skills have dropped off over the last month. Clearly the better side individually but we beat ourselves with poor kicking and poor choices. I have said before I believe our Club's football IQ has plummeted in the last few years (Green, Cumberland, HRS, Pickett, Mcintosh, Hicks, MRJ etc). This is highlighted when someone like Coultard arrives and McDonagh is not playing. Skills are important but so is game awareness, leadership, enthusiasm and professionalism. For example it was so obvious that all our tall backs play from behind (so do our forwards) allowing Willy to lob the ball short, resulting in either a free or a mark.
Enough pessimism, Bradke can be a star but needs a tutor. Dropped easy marks, wild kicking but still had 12 possessions and 2 goals, could/should have kicked a bag. Get him a private tutor (Leppitch type) if we cannot buy a KFF or draft one then we need to make one.

Bradke has a top notch tutor in Riewoldt, couldn't get a better one imo. He might just need time to grow into his role.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I watched basically the whole game against Willy and there is no doubt that we were the better team around the ground. We generated way more scoring chances, I think maybe 15-16 more inside 50s.
We just couldn’t score which is the same problem we have in the seniors.
Part of that was delivery into the forward 50 and part of it was no one could take a mark and even when the ball spilled we lacked forward craft.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I watched basically the whole game against Willy and there is no doubt that we were the better team around the ground. We generated way more scoring chances, I think maybe 15-16 more inside 50s.
We just couldn’t score which is the same problem we have in the seniors.
Part of that was delivery into the forward 50 and part of it was no one could take a mark and even when the ball spilled we lacked forward craft.

I didn't see the game at the weekend, but this is the issue that is plaguing us at the moment. Failure to recruit for forwards.

Whichever way you cut it, we aren't a bad side IMO, we just have poor forward structures and have very little in the tall forward category. There is a massive gap between out key tall forwards that are good (Jack and Lynch) and the rest who are all developing.

After the fallout on this board over the weekend and the toys being thrown out of the pram by a number of posters, I again thought I'd take a look at how bad we are setup, and as expected found the situation to be far better than many are predicting, but the same gap in talent in the tall forwards existed.

Pick a team of players 27 and under and its not bad, but guess where the issue is, tall forwards. Defence looks ok, talls are pretty good (Gibcus, Balta and Youn)), smalls are good (Short, Rioli, Baker), its just mid sizers but we have potential there in Brown and Tresize (though neither have played an AFL game yet). Mids looks ok, but we need some more depth there. Small forwards, we have several of them (Coulthard, Rioli, Baker - can be either forward or back - Cumberland, Clarke etc) and some developers in Campbell and Green (though I have serious doubts over Green). Rucks are servicable with some upside, but its talls where we have the problem. Recruit those, and the team takes on a different dynamic especially when we start slotting in those players older than 27 that will still be with us next year.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I didn't see the game at the weekend, but this is the issue that is plaguing us at the moment. Failure to recruit for forwards.

Whichever way you cut it, we aren't a bad side IMO, we just have poor forward structures and have very little in the tall forward category. There is a massive gap between out key tall forwards that are good (Jack and Lynch) and the rest who are all developing.

After the fallout on this board over the weekend and the toys being thrown out of the pram by a number of posters, I again thought I'd take a look at how bad we are setup, and as expected found the situation to be far better than many are predicting, but the same gap in talent in the tall forwards existed.

Pick a team of players 27 and under and its not bad, but guess where the issue is, tall forwards. Defence looks ok, talls are pretty good (Gibcus, Balta and Youn)), smalls are good (Short, Rioli, Baker), its just mid sizers but we have potential there in Brown and Tresize (though neither have played an AFL game yet). Mids looks ok, but we need some more depth there. Small forwards, we have several of them (Coulthard, Rioli, Baker - can be either forward or back - Cumberland, Clarke etc) and some developers in Campbell and Green (though I have serious doubts over Green). Rucks are servicable with some upside, but its talls where we have the problem. Recruit those, and the team takes on a different dynamic especially when we start slotting in those players older than 27 that will still be with us next year.
The amazing thing about that Mr P is that 12 months ago we had the highest scoring forward line in the league.

Of course we had a firing Lynch who in the 2nd half of last year was far and away the best key forward going around. Jack as a great foil taking the 2nd best key back. We also had Cumberland firing and incredibly dangerous around goals, MRJ being a massive menace and kicking a few himself , a number of midfield types like Edwards and others there as well and Bolton spending a lot more time forward.

How things have changed in 12 months !!

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
The amazing thing about that Mr P is that 12 months ago we had the highest scoring forward line in the league.

Of course we had a firing Lynch who in the 2nd half of last year was far and away the best key forward going around. Jack as a great foil taking the 2nd best key back. We also had Cumberland firing and incredibly dangerous around goals, MRJ being a massive menace and kicking a few himself , a number of midfield types like Edwards and others there as well and Bolton spending a lot more time forward.

How things have changed in 12 months !!

It also shows how quickly it can turn back the other way, with a fit and firing Lynch. Cumbo is one for me that needs confidence, he has it at VFL level but doesn't seem to carry that into AFL level, maybe he needs several games to make him feel like he belongs. The way he kicked the ball for goal against the Dogs compared to the 6 he kicked against Box Hill were chalk and cheese, surely can only be down to confidence and not skill as the shots at goal against the Dogs were easier chances than those he slotted against Box Hill.

BTW - what are your thoughts on Yassine? I'd love to sign his as a rookie in the draft this year, he seems to have a lot of AFL traits and seems to learn quickly. Seems like a fairly obvious pickup as a rookie to me.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
It also shows how quickly it can turn back the other way, with a fit and firing Lynch. Cumbo is one for me that needs confidence, he has it at VFL level but doesn't seem to carry that into AFL level, maybe he needs several games to make him feel like he belongs. The way he kicked the ball for goal against the Dogs compared to the 6 he kicked against Box Hill were chalk and cheese, surely can only be down to confidence and not skill as the shots at goal against the Dogs were easier chances than those he slotted against Box Hill.

BTW - what are your thoughts on Yassine? I'd love to sign his as a rookie in the draft this year, he seems to have a lot of AFL traits and seems to learn quickly. Seems like a fairly obvious pickup as a rookie to me.
It’s all in Cumbo’s head. You can’t kick like Michael Roach one week and then like Dumbo the week after and it not be between the ears. He kicked one great goal on Friday night which was a snap, obviously because he didn’t have time to think about it.
I posted in another thread on Saturday that I was more encouraged than discouraged by him on Friday because despite the *smile* ups he kept presenting and giving himself chances which was different to earlier in the year.
Yassine looks a likely type for sure but raw. Plenty to work with and is improving which is a good sign

Reactions: 1 users