Richmonds GOATs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmonds GOATs

Dusty hasn't reached Hart levels yet, probably never will. Go and read the Hart Wikipedia, he was lifting us over the line from the day he debuted in 1967 as a 19yo kicking 3 goals 7 behinds. He won the goal kicking that year with 55 goals, kicked 6 against Carlton in the semi, took the best mark ever taken by a Richmond player in the GF and kicked 3 goals. Was selected in the first Australian team to play ireland. Still not 20yo.

If you ever wondered why we won 1967 and 1969 but didn't make the finals in 1968. Hart was drafted for national service, they eventually got it deferred, and despite winning 12 of 15 games he played we only on 1 when he missed and we missed the finals.

And so it goes on. Over the 11 seasons when Royce played we went at 73% win ratio, when he didn't it dropped to 62%. In that era we made 5GF and won 4.

Don't let anyone ever tell you Carey was as good. If lifting your team over the line is the measure, Hart is in clear air.

Reactions: 1 users
Dusty hasn't reached Hart levels yet, probably never will. Go and read the Hart Wikipedia, he was lifting us over the line from the day he debuted in 1967 as a 19yo kicking 3 goals 7 behinds. He won the goal kicking that year with 55 goals, kicked 6 against Carlton in the semi, took the best mark ever taken by a Richmond player in the GF and kicked 3 goals. Was selected in the first Australian team to play ireland. Still not 20yo.

Bit strange to compare them like that but all the same I love seeing how players affect people. Hart could never do what Dusty has done as a midfielder and yet Dusty has kicked 250 goals. He kicked 12 in three matches in the finals. I think we are finally seeing the Dusty to Riccuito style succession plan from pure mid to mostly forward.

Put Richo is this team and he’s Coleman every year.

Not sure about this. Our midfield would be giving Richo the ball 30m out directly in front. That's got to be Richo's worst position to convert a set shot.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
To compare I think we would need to add a couple of inches to the height of the older players. People were just shorter back then. Jack Dyer would have been the height of a modern mid yet played ruck.

Add in the better conditioning, better injury management, full time players and higher fitness levels and you really do wonder how good some of those players from the past would have been.

The point about getting whacked behind play is also relevant, having video of every game and trial by video has changed the game a lot. In years gone by players had an extra job of making sure they didn't get thumped.

Always a difficult comparison but I reckon Royce Hart would remain amongst the very top of the elite in any era.

What we need to look for is those players who are exceptional in their era and who rise above even the best players, I reckon Dusty, and his ability to take on a game and the ability to make the play when no-one else could puts him in this category. Cotchin maybe wouldn't get there on play alone, but his captaincy adds a major factor which elevates him into the elite.

SO hard to even try and comment on any players from before TV coverage, just no way to see what they did.

DS

Reactions: 1 user
Geoff "Pretty Boy" Raines doesn't get mentioned much, but he was a pretty handy

Put Richo is this team and he’s Coleman every year.
Absolutely!!!!

Jack is good whereas RICHO is GREAT!!!

Can you imagine Richo playing in the same team of the last 5yrs?????

He would be a dual Brownlow Medal / Coleman medal winner (with a Norm Smith thrown in for good measure!!!!)

Absolutely!!!!

Jack is good whereas RICHO is GREAT!!!

Can you imagine Richo playing in the same team of the last 5yrs?????

He would be a dual Brownlow Medal / Coleman medal winner (with a Norm Smith thrown in for good measure!!!!)

Yeah, I dunno. Jack's strength is the selflessness and desire to bring others into play. It's part of what makes this team work. We don't know if on-field Richo could adopt that mindset.

Not putting down Richo at all. He was our only beacon of hope during our darkest days, but I don't think Jack is far off.

Slightly off topic, I know, but how is Tom Stewart a two-time All-Australian?

At our club, we would select Rance, Grimes, Houli, Vlastuin and Broad ahead of him. Maybe if someone was injured he might play and “get a role” to do, maybe play on the first gamer in the forward line.

This is an injustice.

Cracked the *smile* and left when Rioli turned up. Dud father/son as well.

Nice hair though
Don't think he cracked it. Was actually going to stay at Rchmond but the Woods made him an offer he couldn't refuse as I understand it. Plus tension with GR I think.

Don't think he cracked it. Was actually going to stay at Rchmond but the Woods made him an offer he couldn't refuse as I understand it. Plus tension with GR I think.

That's one side of the story. The other is that he didn't want to be moved out the the Centre position

That's one side of the story. The other is that he didn't want to be moved out the the Centre position
That was the rumour at the time, spread by Collingwood types I believe. But in 1982 they both spent time in the Centre, on the Wing and at Half Forward. Both of them had pretty good seasons if I remember correctly.

Raines himself has explained it several times. He was on around $35,000 and Maurice was on approximately double. Raines asked for more but was denied by GR. So he went to Collingwood.

Slightly off topic, I know, but how is Tom Stewart a two-time All-Australian?

At our club, we would select Rance, Grimes, Houli, Vlastuin and Broad ahead of him. Maybe if someone was injured he might play and “get a role” to do, maybe play on the first gamer in the forward line.

This is an injustice.
Some clubs aim to win home and away games, therefore their players look better throughout the season. We aim to win premierships. Dusty v Clanger is a great example.
Vlastuin v Stewart is likewise. Stewart was probably better during the H&A but Nick is the player you want in a final.

I’m not old enough to judge the legends of the 70s, however best 3 I’ve seen imho are Dusty, Rance and Richo. I think the Skip is the next best midfielder by a long way from the 90s on

I'll add something else to this. Protection, only one umpire and no video review in Royce's day. Half of the opposition were trying to kill him most days.

I know many other s will argue/disagree with me, but pound for pound, and given his average height, and the position he played in, plus his absolute courage, during the 1960s and 1970s, Royce Hart is still the best footballer I have seen pull on a Richmond jumper.
In today's competition he would be a world beater.

Royce Hart, Francis Bourke, Ian Stewart, Kevin Bartlett, Maurice Rioli, Michael Roach, to name just several would definitely slot into this current day team.
Throw in Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt, Trent Cotchin and Alex Rance ... you would have an almost unbeatable team.