Richmonds GOATs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmonds GOATs

Slightly off topic, I know, but how is Tom Stewart a two-time All-Australian?

At our club, we would select Rance, Grimes, Houli, Vlastuin and Broad ahead of him. Maybe if someone was injured he might play and “get a role” to do, maybe play on the first gamer in the forward line.

This is an injustice.
Very good player is Tom Stewart and a very similar type to Vlossy. Is he better than Vlastuin? Probably not, I’d give them an AA each. Very different player to Houli.

Broad has played 3rd tall in Rance’s absence, not sure Stewart could.

That’s what makes our backline so good, Grimes and Broad provide massive flexibility because they play on both smalls and talls.

I’ve already commented on Dusty v Royce but just behind them in impact and excitement was Maurice Rioli. He didn’t play enough games imo to be in the conversation for best ever but jeez he was good.
Couldn’t be tackled.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Personally I now put Jack ahead of Richo. Carried a no-name unconvential forward line to a premiership and now backed it up again on the big stage despite not being fully fit. Plus the 3 Coleman's in both poor and good teams.

No disrespect intended to the great man.

Personally I now put Jack ahead of Richo. Carried a no-name unconvential forward line to a premiership and now backed it up again on the big stage despite not being fully fit. Plus the 3 Coleman's in both poor and good teams.

No disrespect intended to the great man.

Love Richo, but I also have Jack ahead of him.

Jack is the big game player. Jack has won more games off his own boot than any other player in our side, Rance and Dusty included, if you look over the totality of his career.

It's easy to forget how much personal brilliance Jack has sacrificed for this team. It gets said a lot, but these sort of discussions are where the impact of it is felt.

Go back to 2010, where he kicked 80 goals and won his first Coleman. He was playing with the something akin to the freedom players from previous era's were allowed. He was allowed to cheat forward, never had to tackle, didn't have to press up to the wing as a get out option, and didn't need to chip and handball to others in the side. I mean, he still did a lot of that, particularly the bringing other players in with taps and handballs, he's been doing that his whole career. But it wasn't a requirement. He was a kid, and was allowed to just kick goals and be an old school full forward.

And he was the best in the business at the time. But then his role changed. Because the game changed. Both gradually, and significantly.

This is why it's hard to compare players from different eras. I've heard players like Carey and Dunstall (who were around the Richo era) say that they never tackled, never left the forward 50 etc. Actually, Richo himself has said that he doesn't even know how to tackle. Forget other pressures like congested forward lines, or slow ball movement, the actual responsibilities of a forward have changed dramatically.

Jack would have had multiple 100 goal seasons in decades past. Buddy has been a better player post 2008 but that's when he got his tonne. Got 102 goals that year, and never came near that again. And that was before Jack had even really broken into the side.
Richo is the athletic freak, and I put him in the Buddy mould. But Jack is the pure footballer, with the brain to match. By the way, I have Jack ahead of Buddy too. 3 colemans and 2 premierships vs 4 colemans and 1. Franklin will have more goals, but will have got a lot of them at the end of the Freedom for Forwards era. Across the last ten seasons they've both kicked around 600 goals. Probably another discussion though.

Richo and Jack are different types of players, from different teams, with different roles, different strengths and had different levels of support. It's probably also worth remembering how much of a mentor Richo was and is to Jack. But if you have to compare them, I've got Jack by a nose.

Reactions: 3 users
Guys like Vlastuin and grimes are chalking up the finals numbers too. They are up to 11.

I bet they are high on the list of all time finals by a Richmond player

Ah yes, but mindful Richo would be fine. Cool as a cucumber.

And imagine how many more goals he would have kicked with some greater mindfulness ... surely wouldn't have missed countless shots from the goal square that he did.
Still reckon Richo was an absolute beauty.
Was possibly the most important reason why I attended so many Richmond games when we were simply ordinary.
Richo clicked the turnstiles like so few players could ... you just never knew what he was capable of doing.
Imagine if he was to be playing in a side like today's premiership winning machine, instead of the half-ordinary teams he endured.
Will always be a Richmond legend, and a decent and humble man to boot.

Reactions: 2 users
Raines himself has explained it several times. He was on around $35,000 and Maurice was on approximately double. Raines asked for more but was denied by GR. So he went to Collingwood.

I’ve previously made my feelings very clear about Graham Richmond. Almost single handily ruined our club. Reputation hangs on the recruitment of Hart like Miller did with Carey. Hope history isn’t too complimentary. Out G.Richmond. In B.Gale

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Speaking of GOATs one of our greatest and one of my favourite ever players Dale Weightman turned 60 today.
Fantastic player and skipper

Reactions: 4 users
800 goals in the worst team of the modern era. The best contested mark of his era. Scary to think how he would slaughter the game these days. Just imagine how much better his already out of this world endurance would be today.

Absolutely, his tank was built for the Dimma Era Tigers. It's always hard to imagine the what-ifs, but geez how good would it have been to see Richo play with Dusty,, Edwards, Cotch, Rance. The closest he got was peak Axel, I reckon.

Where is all the Shedda love? This guy might have the best pair of hands I've ever seen. Hie is lethal in congested footy. I have never seen a Tiger who can do what he does, and very few other players either.

Reactions: 1 users
Speaking of GOATs one of our greatest and one of my favourite ever players Dale Weightman turned 60 today.

I was always amazed at how good he looked when he played state footy. Wasn't out of place with the best players going around at the time. Star.

AFL
Richmond
Cotch is up with the greatest the club has ever had - bar none.

Can’t believe how short he’s being sold on here.

Complete and utter legend.

Too right he is a Tiger legend.

All those amazing accolades aside, the one & probably most important intangible you missed..

Culture changer.

Champion player was Flea, the mighty #3
Apart from his courage, his handballing skills were brilliant.