Richo - Media Man | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richo - Media Man

Foxtrot

Tiger Rookie
Oct 12, 2003
Bathurst NSW
Yeah - very smooth mover as boundary rider - could easily be a special comments man proper.

Love his work on the Tiger Talk podcast as well - Supremely likeable and a genuinely funny bloke. Easy to see why footy players across the board like him.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Foxtrot said:
Yeah - very smooth mover as boundary rider - could easily be a special comments man proper.

Love his work on the Tiger Talk podcast as well - Supremely likeable and a genuinely funny bloke. Easy to see why footy players across the board like him.

Think what I like most is the sincerity of his insight.
Just seems to be be able to tap in emotionally where many just regurgitate the same old cliches. Players and officials alike really warm to that.
Basically still wears his heart on his sleeve on the boundary.

linuscambridge

Tiger Superstar
Jul 13, 2004
Clearly loves the Tigers, but more than any other seems to be able to put his bias aside during his commentary and get his point across in a fair and balanced way. My favorite commentator by far at the moment, intelligent and relevant comments and obviously really does his research.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
linuscambridge said:
obviously really does his research.

Funny you say that Linus. I heard him talk a while back and he said this was the advice someone (can't remember who) gave him years ago when he first entered the media landscape and that was to always bring something fresh & insightful to the conversation. Does that with aplomb but makes it look easy.

Foxtrot

Tiger Rookie
Oct 12, 2003
Bathurst NSW
Yes I think that's what people want from guys in that role - An empathy with the players and an insight we don't have. He's never excessively critical but not just spouting platitudes either. Cameron Ling is similarly pretty great I reckon - they're good together.

Both are a long way from the Dermott Brereton school of unnecessarily complicated, I like the sound of my own voice gear.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
I love still seeing the big Richoman on TV regularly. What a gun! ;D

I've always enjoyed his commentary and he is very insightful about the game.

I hope he has a lengthy media career

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Amazing how many neutrals formed negative impressions about his personality from the dummy spits and were surprised when they realised what he's really like. Continues to be a credit to the club.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Brings something different to the table in every game.
Unlike the other wannabe Eddie's or "bloke club" commentators.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
A long career ahead in the media - Richo is someone we will enjoy for many years to come. A clear successor to KB.

Col.E.Kurtz

Tiger Legend
Apr 4, 2005
Legends of 1980 said:
Pity we have to put up with their complete opposite, BT

An awful commentator who amazingly has made himself worse by adding catch phrases to his commentary.

Agree on Richo though, massive talent. His Friday previews with the assistant coaches on the RFC website are my media highlight of the week.