Richo - Media Man | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richo - Media Man

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Both of those last two videos were brilliant - thanks for the links

Reactions: 1 user

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
Loved his GF interview with Shai Bolton, got distracted by something and Shai was just about chewing on the microphone by the end of the interview

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
Richo is continually asked how he feels about never winning a Premiership.
I’d like to answer on his behalf that what he contributed to our football club can never be measured in medals or tin cups.
He made us believe. He gave us hope in the darkest of hours. He soared for us, he fought for us and he bled for us. He is part of our fabric
Many of us are still here only because of this man. A Richmond immortal as important as any in the history of this great club.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I’d like to answer on his behalf that what he contributed to our football club can never be measured in medals or tin cups.
He made us believe. He gave us hope in the darkest of hours. He soared for us, he fought for us and he bled for us. He is part of our fabric
Many of us are still here only because of this man. A Richmond immortal as important as any in the history of this great club.
Richo is Richmond. We may not have had the club we have today if not for the Richo of game day. He is human like us all and made mistakes but will always be a focal point on any Richmond conversation

Reactions: 4 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012

Brilliant, DA.
Was perhaps the only reason I went and watched Richmond games ... just to see the great Richo perform in all his vagaries of efforts and brilliance and miskicks.
A genuine Richmond legend is Matthew Richardson.

Reactions: 6 users

Puntrd64

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
Brilliant, DA.
Was perhaps the only reason I went and watched Richmond games ... just to see the great Richo perform in all his vagaries of efforts and brilliance and miskicks.
A genuine Richmond legend is Matthew Richardson.

Had Richo not got injured at the SCG the 95 side might have just about made it

Reactions: 7 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I think he is so loved by Tiger fans partly because he is one of us. In the end he is just a Richmond fan who happened to play for the club.
I think Bennie Gale said that is why he was picked to present the 2017 cup because he represented all the people who had waited 37 years as a player and as a fan.

Reactions: 4 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Had Richo not got injured at the SCG the 95 side might have just about made it

I agree .
He was unstoppable that year from the start.
Deliberate push into the fence.

Just look at the following year.
Nearly kicked 100 goals.

The only reason during those dark days i would go and watch us play. The unpredictability of the man was something else.

To nearly win a Brownlow in his later years, OFF A WING , what can you say.

To be giving the honour to present the cup to Cotchin & Damien and see him fidgeting & in tears on the boundary line brought tears to my eyes.

Who could forget him saying in the background after we beat GWS to get into the GF in 17, " The Tigers are into a GF"

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Love richo.
Still have his photo on the fridge. Tell visitors he is a cousin. :clap1

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
How this guy is not mentioned in the conversation of the greatest forwards to play the game beggers belief.

Carey was great, but he averaged less marks, less contested marks and less goals than the great Richo, and Richo has managed that in a team that could hardly average 35 forward entries, let alone even kick it to his advantage.

In our side of today, he would have been as unbeatable a player as has ever walked on a footy ground.

Mike Sheehan's interview with Brad Ottens brought up the question as to who is the greatest player he's evre played with or against, alluding to Gary Ablett junior. Ottens agreed that at his prime Ablett was greatest he had seen ,but then he brough tup Richo saying he was the only one that got close in terms of being un-stoppable when he was on. He went on to say that when he was on, you just got out of his way and watched in awe at the things he could do. Said it was a honour to play next to him at the Tiges.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
How this guy is not mentioned in the conversation of the greatest forwards to play the game beggers belief.

Carey was great, but he averaged less marks, less contested marks and less goals than the great Richo, and Richo has managed that in a team that could hardly average 35 forward entries, let alone even kick it to his advantage.

In our side of today, he would have been as unbeatable a player as has ever walked on a footy ground.

Mike Sheehan's interview with Brad Ottens brought up the question as to who is the greatest player he's evre played with or against, alluding to Gary Ablett junior. Ottens agreed that at his prime Ablett was greatest he had seen ,but then he brough tup Richo saying he was the only one that got close in terms of being un-stoppable when he was on. He went on to say that when he was on, you just got out of his way and watched in awe at the things he could do. Said it was a honour to play next to him at the Tiges.

My biggest gripe with these media people Nel.

In boxing terms, ‘pound for pound’ up there when in full flight (when on) , in terms of the average delivery he receive over his career truly better than Carey.

My view!

-Compare teams they both played in.
- Delivery
-ability to play multiple positions
-finished his career playing on a wing and came close winning the AFLs most prestigious award as a 30+.
-would have him above Matthew Lloyd too!

I’m biased it’s true.

Last edited:

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
My biggest gripe with these media people Nel.

In boxing terms, ‘pound for pound’ up there when in full flight (when on) , in terms of the average delivery he receive over his career truly better than Carey.

My view!

-Compare teams they both played in.
- Delivery
-ability to play multiple positions
-finished his career playing on a wing and came close winning the AFLs most prestigious award as a 30+.
-would have him above Matthew Lloyd too!

I’m biased it’s true.

You might be biast, but you're also correct

Reactions: 1 user