Richo's replacement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richo's replacement

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Since I've been posting, there has been a lot said on the subject of Richo - both for and against. Do we keep him? get rid of him; trade him; he's a bum! he has a lot of heart; he's a sook; he bleeds black and yellow.

Given that we all run hot and cold on this enigma of a footballer, and suppose he did leave RFC for whatever reason (say this year, now) who would we be looking for to step into his place?

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
They don't have a replacement....players like him come around once evry 20 years...this moron of a coach got hold of him in his prime and instead of building a team around him, they propped them up with duds. I hope for his sake if he goes....he goes to a half decent team that can pass the ball and move it on like Lloyd gets every week

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
We did play good footy earlier on this season when has wasnt playing,true ?
The on ballers actually choosed better options when he wasnt there !

Walster

I am Walstero the most beautiful man in the world
Aug 13, 2003
Simply.......cannot be replaced......and I dont care what anyone says!!!!!!!

cogs_is_sexy24

Tiger Rookie
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne
jackstar said:
We did play good footy earlier on this season when has wasnt playing,true ?
The on ballers actually choosed better options when he wasnt there !

yeh, totally agree with ya, jackstar. when he doesnt play, we play a whole lot better. i get really sick of when the players always kick the ball to richo and rely on him, even when he's having a bad day.

yet, its weird. sometimes i think he's great - then other times, i cant stand the guy. he does bleed yellow and black though, and he's been here for his whole career. i dont think that he deserves a replacement, a player like him is pretty rare (except when he's missing easy shots on goal!!! :mad:) he has passion, but he needs the support from us, the supporters.

as you can see, i'm pretty confused when it comes to richo! :-\

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
You lot are all deluded.
The guy is 29 years of age and no longer produces what we really need:- a consistant goal kicker.
We were no better in 96 when he kicked 90 goals, now he is producing 1/3 output.
Get your heads out of the sandpit and realize he is not the person to build your hopes and dreams around.
Take whatever we can get for him.

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Rather than think about sacking the guy, how about a genuine 2 pronged tall forward attack. All we need to do is find someone to take the heat off him a little. However his accuracy is deplorable and really needs to be looked at. I think Jay Schulz given the right coaching and gametime could be the perfect assistant.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
We'd be looking for a reliable CHF. Fit, fast, athletic, skillful, strong mark, good kick, blessed with football intelligence. They'd probably be more likely to go for an over the hill forward pocket instead.

Can anyone really picture Richo in other colours? Imagine him in black and white stripes, old navy blues, poofy purple. The mind boggles.

As I've said before two interviews I've hear of Greg Millers recently have done nothing at all to stick up for Joel or Richo when questioned. In fact he discussed their shortcomings. My gut feeling was those two guys were going to be put on the trading table.

There's no doubt there's a love/hate relationship with the big fella, but I'm sure it would be a day of national mourning for Richmond fans if he was ever traded.

I wonder if a player like Richo or Joel would feel if they were offered for a trade that didn't eventuate. I'd imagine it would be pretty hard playing for a club they've loved all their life knowing that the club wanted to sell them out.

I HATE TRADE TIME! Bring on the draft, far more positive.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
rosy3 said:
I wonder if a player like Richo or Joel would feel if they were offered for a trade that didn't eventuate. I'd imagine it would be pretty hard playing for a club they've loved all their life knowing that the club wanted to sell them out.

I HATE TRADE TIME! Bring on the draft, far more positive.

That exact scenario happened to Joe Misiti of Essendon in 2001.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Play him up the ground at CHF. Give him license to move around and use the resting ruckman 25m out from goal - not 5m out. That way, if Richo has come down the ground and we've moved the ball too quickly for him to get back to position, you still have a tall target to hit.

Richo's passing into the forward line has been very good, and don't anyone sh!t me and deny this. He always kicks to the tall option and puts it to the advantage of this player - unlike what he receives when he is forward.

Leigh Matthews during the season said he puts no real importance on a good full forward as he can kick 6 and you can still often loose.

However, if your CHF takes 16 marks you'll more than likely win. He went on to say that that's why you obviously play your thoroughbred at CHF.

Obviously TOO OBVIOUS for us!

If we just moved the ball quickly to the sweet spot 25 -30 metres out, we have options there to mark. Richo will also run back and wreak havoc in that space.

It's also the sweet spot for crumbers as there is more room to evade defenders than in the teeth of goal.

Why do we make the game look so bloody hard.

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
Diggler, at least you have some idea.
Richos 29 and is not going to get better.
We play better without him but for some unknown reason, the Tiger faithful think he is the savior.
Just been watching Fox footy and watching Warrick Capper.
He was extremely good below his knees, something that Richo is not.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
I spoke to someone just this afternoon about the Richo situation. He knows him quite well, and only spoke to him last week.

He couldn't enlighten me as to whether or not we were offering him for trade only saying you's wouldn't trade him. That being his own opinion. But did say this:

He said if we did trade him, he felt Richo would just about give it away and just concentrate on his business interests.

I'm not sure he'd be totally correct in saying that, but it does reflect the amount of feeling he has for the club. I'd rather one player like that than 10 who are there for the money.

As to the one percenters he is bagged about!

For god sake - understand something about the game and the role he plays.

Richo leads to space - when the pass misses, he's not usually in a postion to pull up his momentum and go after his opponent or whoever has the ball. If he tries for a pack mark and fails - then he's on the ground with half the pack that he's smashed - he's not in a position to tackle or sheppard.

The bigger players that you see doing this sort of thing are ruckmen or more stagnant big men.

Cast your mind to when Richo was up the ground and doing some ruck work! Was he not applauded for the one percenters, tackling and shepparding????

This is because when he is in a position to do this, he will - but in his fundimental leading - pack marking role, the opportunity presents less.

His one percenters are the leading and presenting (running his guts out role) that he is given NO credit for.

His game was good on Sunday, again he was bagged. He kicked 2 and gave 2 goal assists in a score of 11 goals. Both 50m penalties were soft - the one on Thompson was discracefully soft - a complete joke!

We trade this guy, there is no replacement.

I know Stewie Leowe very well. The worrying thing is, he's in the club and he says we should trade him!

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
Here here frickenel.

As for dopeman Stewie, the decision to keep Richo should be obvious now that this moron has stated his opinion.

The problem is we have too many losers coaching our players - weed these undesirables out, not the true tigers who cannot be replaced.

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
Richo is uncoachable. he is an althlete, He is not a footballer,should I say he doesnt think real smart like a good footballer should.
he continually leads to the pockets.
He is suppose to be a leader at the club and he continually bags his own teamates.
His kicking is like School boy stuff.
Ok, he wears his heart on his sleeve, BIG DEAL.
He is 29, he is not getting any younger.
He is dreadful below his knees.
Compare him to Kouta, Carey. All good below there knees.
Richo vision and decision making is poor.
How many times does he handball to a player who is in a worse situation, all the bloody time.
This is guy is supposed to be a superstar ??
He is a big under achiever who wants to blame everyone else bar himself.
Trade him I say.
he isnt as good as everyone thinks.
Everyone is scared that if he goes some where else that he will kill them, what crap.
His kicking is NEVER going to improve, its a flaw in his game, like a tennis player who cannot serve, you are never going to change him.
As for the contested marks issue, pointless marking the ball 50 metres out deep in the pocket all the time.
Didnt any watch TY Zantuck play up forward the other week, he actually lead from the goalsquare. When he did mark the ball,he was only 35-40 metres out on quick leads.
You dont need coaches to tell you that, its something players with footy smarts just do.
Just to finish off, remember back to round 1 in the Wizard Cup. We played The Demons and they put some unknown on him and beat him, since then, other clubs have paid Richo little or no respect and thats a fact, I can assure you of that.
The Tiger faithfull love him, the opposition dont really worry about him,they only worry if he kicks 4 or 5 early in a game but that is only just a memory these days.
Think of the last time some other team actually played a spare man back on Richo when he was killing them, I cant, can you. enough said. ;)

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I hear the club is going to try and mould Houlihan into Richo's position............the club have huge hopes on Adam.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Jackstar, you seemed to have missed the point of the topic. The question was not whether Richo should go but who would take his place.
You keep saying get rid of him, trade him, but whom did you have in mind to take his place?

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
No , havent missed the point at all.
Go back to the same set up we had early in the year.
We beat the Bombers without him.
We actually play better without him or hasnt anyone noticed. ;)
Just go with a different structure.
Works for West Coast !

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
You say we play better without him because we happened to win a few games including one against the depleted bombers.

We were lucky to win those early games - we were peaking when other clubs were just getting their match fittness up. When all other clubs were level parring with us as far as fitness goes, see Rounds 9 onwards............

That's right, we played 14 out of a possible 15 clubs and only managed to beat the spooners................

To point to these early rounds and pin point the absence of Richo as the deciding factor is beyond laughable................deluded I think is the 'in' word.