Richo's replacement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richo's replacement

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
jackstar said:
Just to finish off, remember back to round 1 in the Wizard Cup. We played The Demons and they put some unknown on him and beat him, since then, other clubs have paid Richo little or no respect and thats a fact, I can assure you of that.

Jackster - that quote above just about wraps up your whole post full of crap!

Ty Zantuck had about the 4th best defender on him who was probably more concerned about peeling off to help the full back, ruckman and 2 or 3 others already swamping Richo - who YOU with your infinite wisdom can assure us all that the opposition pay little or no respect too!

He has the best defender week in week out, yet you assure us the opposition pays him little or no respect!
Considering that level of stupidity Jackster, i advise you to stop reading the paper and drag your puckering poo hole down to a game and watch what's happening off the ball - ahead of play!

Do you know what blocking is Jackster??

Have a look at how often Richo can get to a competition without this happening from someone other than his direct opponent.

I won't even bother with the rest of your diatribe - in your words, enough said!

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Jackstar you are a breath of fresh air.
Come back to the forum in 5 years time and you will see these deluded folk wishing and hoping for Richo to lead us into the promised land!
Wake up from your stupor, it aint going to happen.
You all hope for some magical fairytale to happen. If only he did this or frawley changed this or maybe play him up the ground.
He has no football smarts to do this period.
All he is worth these days is 2nd or 3rd round picks.
No sensible club would even remotely consider a first round trade.
In fact I'd trade him for Koutifidis, someone with talent and a football brain. Coz thats about the best you'd get.

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
Gee Diggler, I have copped a bagging here, someone said get down to a game, well well, only if they knew ;)
Everyone thinks Richo is a superstar.
what a joke !
He is no Wayne Carey, doesnt even come close, cant be mentioned in the same breath as Hird and Lloyd.
Thats why the Tigers dont make the finals people.
You all fall in love with mediocasy
Next thing you people will tell me Duncan Kellaway is a champ.
You all blame the coach, we have for the past 20 years

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
OK, Richo does pull the occasional bonehead play.
He's a natural athlete, not a natural footballer.
The players around him need to play smarter, they can do it when he's not playing, but put him in front of them and they lose focus. They're drawn to him like moths to a flame. He regularly draws the best defender, and is double & triple teamed, the ball carriers need to look up and they'll see that there has to be someone free, kick the ball to them.
RFC has no-one to replace Richo, like others have said he's a once in a generation player, brilliant, exciting, frustrating. RFC can't live without him, they've certainly got no-one to match up on him if he went somewhere else!

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
No player is irreplacable. Easier to replace a key forward than a key backman in my opinion. WE did ok without Richo, without Gaspar we were useless. There are always other options. These days modern day football does not rely on traditional positions as it used to. The gaem is so quick. We have talls, not many but a few ie Holland, Hall, Ottens, Stafford, Schulz who can all play up forawrd. Not to mention Zantuck playing a full forward role a few eeks ago although not being a tall. IF we had the midfielders deliver the ball properly to our players anyone in our team could be a decent forward if htey led to the right spots. I lvoe Richo but I am not convinced we need him anymore at 29 yo and perhaps are worthy of trading him for a future.

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
There's a lot of fresh air going around on PRE of late.

I hope some blows through Punt Road as well because it's been a bit on the nose. ;D

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
jackstar said:
Next thing you people will tell me Duncan Kellaway is a champ.

I doubt you need to be told that jackstar. ;D ;D ;D

Actually this thread raises another interesting non-trade kind of point about Richo.

Why do people think Richo IS Richmond? I know he's been a valuable marketing tool for the club, but that era has surely passed by now. Time to put a new public face to the club, one younger people will relate to imo.

People talk about Richo's yellow and black pedigree but I'd say Bourkey probably won the honours in that category. Joel has Richmond bloodlines too, so that argument doesn't quite ring true.

There is no doubt Richo loves Richmond, but does the fact he cracks the *smile* when things don't go our way make him any more of a loyal Tiger than the Kellaways etc who just get on with the job and give 110% in everything they do.

It amuses me how people get up others for suggesting to trade Richo then openly advocate getting rid of others themselves.

Keep them all I say, I'm kinda used to the losing feeling now anyway. What's another 20 years? :(

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
Rosy, it will turn around, i can assure you of that, when you ask ?
When we trade RICHO. ;) ;D

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
rosy3 said:
Time to put a new public face to the club, one younger people will relate to imo.

Your wish will be granted Rosy ;)

rosy3 said:
People talk about Richo's yellow and black pedigree but I'd say Bourkey probably won the honours in that category. Joel has Richmond bloodlines too, so that argument doesn't quite ring true.

There is no doubt Richo loves Richmond, but does the fact he cracks the sh!ts when things don't go our way make him any more of a loyal Tiger than the Kellaways etc who just get on with the job and give 110% in everything they do.

In a roundabout sort of way Rosy you have further highlighted why I get stuck into Joel and defend Richo.

Firstly, I am not going to bag the Kellaways - have never ever questioned their loyalty.

But you say Joel has Richmond has "Richmond Bloodlines" too.

Yes he does and for me that makes it all the more frustrating watching him play. I am pretty sure his father played in a Premiership team, was there during a great era. I would think he should know the history, understand the honour associated with playing for this great Club and despite that he just shows no passion for it in the field. And I think for alot of people to witness that is to a degree heartbreaking. Coupled with that is undoubted natural talent and....

PS: Probably haven't explained it to well but it is the best I can do today

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Playing devils advocate here...*borrows TF's flame proof suit* ;D

I don't think it's fair to judge a player by things like the passion he shows on the field or the flashiness of his style of play.

Richo shows some passion that the team would probably be better off without at times. Because we don't see Joel's does it mean he doesn't feel it?

I'm also willing to excuse both Richo's tantrums and Joel's seeming indifference the last few weeks on the grounds that they both would probably have known their career as a Tiger was on slightly shaky ground. I think if that's the case it's an unfair burden to carry in the season.

But on overall career value to Richmond would Richo score that highly ahead of Joel?

(Am not including marketing here, I presume Richo would be on a higher salary than Joel to compensate somewhat.)

Sure Richo does flashier things that get noticed, but Joel usually gets around 30 possies a game.

Joel has been very consistant, and is there on the field every week, every game. every year.

Richo is very hot and cold. When he's cold he has an amazing negative effect on the team. He's also missed a large amount of time due to injury.

Guess this continues where we left off on my other Joel/Richo thread.

People seem to be very black and white (well maybe yellow) on these two players but I can see positives and negatives from both of them.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
rosy3 said:
Playing devils advocate here...*borrows TF's flame proof suit* ;D

Sure Richo does flashier things that get noticed, but Joel usually gets around 30 possies a game.

Joel has been very consistant, and is there on the field every week, every game. every year.

This is one of the major reasons Richmond has been so mediocre for so long; players like Bowden on the field every week of every year. He may get it 30 times a game but he turns it over or doesn't use it to Richmond's advantage 25 of those times. And the head ducking, contest avoiding, shirking and skulking softness doesn't help either.

People seem to be very black and white (well maybe yellow) on these two players but I can see positives and negatives from both of them.

I can certainly see positives (500 plus goals; more marks per game and contested marks than anyone in the AFL) and negatives (dummy spitting, shithouse kicking) for Richo, but only negatives for Bowden.

I know it's only hearsay but it to me sounds typical of Joeline so I'll tell the story anyway.

A bloke I work with has a best mate who's a Tiger. Well after the game on Sunday this guy was walking through the Punt Rd Oval carpark and saw Joel and another guy (he thinks it was his brother Patrick) sitting in his car and they were waiting for Richo who was walking to the car. He reckons Joel and Patrick were laughing and having a great old time but Richo had the look of a shattered man on his face.

This is so typical of Bowden IMO. After a week of mourning the death of the greatest figure in our history and a game we should have won for that very reason but typically didn't, he just thinks it's all a big joke.

Every action of Joel Bowden displays that he just couldn't give a *smile* about the Richmond Football Club.

Get rid of him now! :mad:

nick the tiger

I'm a llama!
Aug 21, 2003
Jackstar, you seem to have a selective memory. You remember a pre season game against Melbourne yet you don't mention the real game against Melbourne this year where he kicked 4 goals, set up others, had 24 possessions, took 16 marks and won the game for us in the last quarter with a goal and setting up 2 others.
Hey Richo has his issues but the positives outweigh the negatives by a long way. He is the ONLY player in the competition that the press and supporters don't allow a quiet day without massive scrutiny.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Richo and Frawely don't work together.................must get rid of one.

Walster

I am Walstero the most beautiful man in the world
Aug 13, 2003
Richo...love him or hate him I think most people are looking at him the wrong way. I am one of the former but I go along with the later that Richo is not a top tier, elite, champion whatever you want to call him and will never take us to the promised land in that capacity. But I ask you haters of Richo to consider this. Imagine for a minute that Richo never played for Richmond (yeah yeah I know smart-@rse comments) and we picked him up this year in a draft deal as a second or even third tier player to play on a wing, take 8-10 marks a game use his pace (still has a bit for a big man) and kick long into an open forward line. I wonder if you would think this was a good deal if he cost us nothing considering he would not have to think, just kick long and acuracy would be taken out of the equation as forwards would lead to the kick or have time to adjust their lead.
But wait I think I am getting old...a tall fast long kicking wingman and an open forward line sounds abit like Tommy Hafey circa '66/67 couldnt work in todays modern football.......or could it! (Pagans Paddock). But we also need a coach that wants to attack.

MCG

Tiger Rookie
Aug 11, 2003
Richo has many failings which have already been well documented. I really think it would be a very sad day the day we trade him. I was at the recent legends game and of the current list only he and Cogs were there, both acting as goalumpires. Richo was magnificent with both the players on the field & with the crowd. Later I saw him sitting in the stand watching the last quarter with his dad. This is why he is of such value to our club. As for his on field performances I feel if only the rest of the team could realise that Richo was just one of the 22 and not the continual focal point then I'm sure things would work better & his many mistakes wouldn't be so monumental. Perhaps this is a coaching problem. What annoys me is that they contunually kick it to Richo when he is covered by about 3 opposition players & then on the occasions when he has a 1 on 1 situation they ignore him or kick it to his bootlaces or over his head.