Robbie Wiley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Robbie Wiley

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
What an absolute jet this bloke was, well deserved

geez we have had some great s wearing the #2, not least of which is the current one

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Such a great player to watch, he was truly amazing.

Very deserved Hall of Fame inductee.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Best dual sided player I can recall seeing in the Richmond jumper. Beautiful balanced and exquisite skills. Rarely wasted a disposal.

Reactions: 4 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
For those who never saw Bob play, you missed one the best Tigers of our 80s era. Left and right plods, gutsy as anyone, pace to burn, and boy could he slot a goal.
1980 GF Q3 its all there.
Pretty Boy, Bazza, Flea, and Bob were the engine room of 1980. Gun.

Reactions: 9 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Concur.
Oozed class.
The ball was a yo-yo in his hands.
Just kept coming back to him.
Jet.

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
For those who never saw Bob play, you missed one the best Tigers of our 80s era. Left and right plods, gutsy as anyone, pace to burn, and boy could he slot a goal.
I was right behind that goal he kicked from 50 on his left on the boundary in the 80 grannie. Astonishing goal which I still remember vividly.
People still talk quite rightly about KBs nutmeg of magro in the last as a great grand final goal but to me Wiley’s was at least it’s equal.
Known as Radar Wiley because he kicked some incredible goals. Truly great player. We had incredible small and medium depth in that game. Wiley, Weightman, Bartlett, Rowlings, Raines, Wood and Keane.

Reactions: 5 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
From memory, the 3 goals Robbie kicked in the 1980 GF were all off his left foot, he was a right footer, champion.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Kicked 7.0 in front of 90K in the memorable Easter Monday 1982 game v Essendon. A player (along with Bartlett & Rowlings) who preferred to kick rather than handball.

This goal in the Francis Bourke 'blood' match typified what he was capable of. I was behind the goals in line with the kick, which curled back like magic. Followed up a minute later with the sealer.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Kicked 7.0 in front of 90K in the memorable Easter Monday 1982 game v Essendon
I was there as a kid. Close, high scoring game until we unleashed an absolute avalanche of goals in the last quarter. My lasting memory is Wiley slotting goal after goal on either foot.

Reactions: 3 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
I was there as a kid. Close, high scoring game until we unleashed an absolute avalanche of goals in the last quarter. My lasting memory is Wiley slotting goal after goal on either foot.
And a Michael Roach torpedo goal to the Punt Rd end from about 60 metres.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
One of my favourite footy memories being at that game.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Robbie was a big loss when he went back to Wa.
We lost Raines, Cloke, and Wood at the end of 82, and KB, Malthouse and Robbie at the end of 83, no wonder we fell off the cliff.

• Sad

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
The good old days.

When Saturday Footy was Life.

Watch it and see how many frees are not paid that would be paid these days.

Skills back then are obviously nowhere near as good as today nor is the athletic ability anywhere near the players these days but these guys were part time players who had jobs during the week and it was just contest on contest on contest.

No sanitised BS no BS ground announcers screaming at you every break in play, getting a footy record, standing on steel beer cans as a kid in the outer to get abetter view, and having a kick after the final siren on the ground to work off the Pies, Hot Dogs chips and Hot Jam Donuts.

League Teams, Big League, World of Sport ,The Coodabeeens, "3KZ" is football the Captain and the Major, "are you there Harry"?

Today's footy is missing something ......... its soul.

Maybe its just me but I love watching this stuff it takes me back to much happier carefree times.

Its not hard to be nostalgic during these shittful times.

Geeze I miss those those days as a very lucky little kid growing up back then.

Great work LTRTR.

Cheers

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Robbie was a big loss when he went back to Wa.
We lost Raines, Cloke, and Wood at the end of 82, and KB, Malthouse and Robbie at the end of 83, no wonder we fell off the cliff.
And Pirrie, BT, Rioli and Tempany

Last edited:

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Watch it and see how many frees are not paid that would be paid these days.
Frees were actually 39 to 38. But you didn't notice them as much because players just got on with it. No hanging onto the ball until the umpire told them to "Move it on, play on".

It's a thing in all sports now, extended lulls between the action. Between points in tennis. Between deliveries in cricket.

Reactions: 2 users