Round 1 - Changes vs Carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 1 - Changes vs Carlton

Disagree. Watching pre-season, if we're serious about change of guard and giving youngsters opportunities, quite a few more youngsters deserve to be given a go in place of fringe older players (read Kmac, Pickett, Grimes now very fringe) . A 27yo team on our slide down the ladder makes little sense to me. It is what it is. More of the same of the last 2 years atm.

I do like McAuliffe and Brown. Tresize, Lefau, Green, Clarke looking great. But we'll never know until they get AFL experience.

PS how is Cina still on the list?
You are right that these kids ( including Sonsie) have to take that step up to AFL to see what they have got in our future. I reckon that we will see many of them included in the coming weeks especially if we are not going well

Reactions: 1 user
Feel we are 1 tall forward short considering Lynch hasn't played for a year and Balta needing to give a substantial chop out to an underdone Nank in the ruck. Lynch will have to compete against 2 or 3 when Balta rucks.

Yeah I thought that too. We would normally play Lynch maybe 90% TOG. We must be thinking we will go smaller in our forward line. It worked last week in the 2nd half I guess.

Surprised Dow got a go, I thought he was WOG last week, he'd better have a ripper this week or I don't see how he can be picked for Round 2. Grimes on shaky ground too.

Good to see Ross rewarded after his performance last week. Mansell will be sub IMO.

Sadly Ryan had to go. Perhaps he can learn not to walk around on the field in the VFL and Perhaps realise he has to run from contest to contest...

RUNNNNN! Not walk around like a goal post.

Disagree. Watching pre-season, if we're serious about change of guard and giving youngsters opportunities, quite a few more youngsters deserve to be given a go in place of fringe older players (read Kmac, Pickett, Grimes now very fringe) . A 27yo team on our slide down the ladder makes little sense to me. It is what it is. More of the same of the last 2 years atm.

I do like McAuliffe and Brown. Tresize, Lefau, Green, Clarke looking great. But we'll never know until they get AFL experience.

PS how is Cina still on the list?

Put all those players in and we'd lose by 100.

This 'play the kids' defeatism refrain at round 1 is emotive supporter nonsense. It doesn't happen.

And there's a reason. It's not good for the development of any youngster to come into a side with no senior protection and get annihilated.

It's how you ruin development, while losing promising players to other clubs.

You drop Pickett, McIntosh, and Grimes in one week, and replace them with three skinny 18 year olds, then who busts the gut to make up the space under the high ball? Who puts the big body on the line to get crunched? Or do the crunching?

I get the logic of wanting to see what we've got, but we still have to be competitive or it will truly be a wasted year.

And despite the same cynical calls from supporters to play for draft picks, put out non competitive sides, and select for the loss, it's not something you can do and remain a powerful club. You'll lose players, supporters, members, sponsors, and morale.

Drip feed the kids in, like we are, pick our best older players, rest or drop the ones that aren't performing and play to win.

It doesn't mean you don't drop non performers. Grimes may be in trouble in the next few weeks. But there is no reason to drop our experienced wingers after last week.

Reactions: 15 users
Yeah I thought that too. We would normally play Lynch maybe 90% TOG. We must be thinking we will go smaller in our forward line. It worked last week in the 2nd half I guess.

Surprised Dow got a go, I thought he was WOG last week, he'd better have a ripper this week or I don't see how he can be picked for Round 2. Grimes on shaky ground too.

Good to see Ross rewarded after his performance last week. Mansell will be sub IMO.
Would have kept Kosi

basically the changes are what most on here called and it's about right

Last edited:
perfect start by Yze,

sitting the MC down in front of PRE Changes thread

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Wanker Whateley on AFL360: "90,000 at the G tomorrow night, if you're a Blues fan you must be there..."

WTF does he actually mean? Blooze should be there to witness a thrashing by them to us?
Yep. It’s almost like they are playing a non Victorian side. Do we not have a big supporter base Whately?!

Not a hard call at all. 2 new blokes and 2 kids who shouldn't have played last week dropped, and 3 veterans and mansell come in.

Reactions: 1 users
What's he gunna say? Those guys like Dusty, Nank, Prestia etc are competitive beasts and will believe anything is possible so keeps them driving on - don't think that means they are guaranteed games though
Those three you could argue are in our best 15 players. Prestia probably pushing it though… Grimes, Pickett and McIntosh definitely aren’t. Still got a solid core of experienced players even if we drop the 3 I mentioned. Their roles are replaceable too with what we have on the list. Banks wing for kamdyn, Brown/Trezise in for Grimes, and Juddy, Coulthard or even cumbo for Pickett

• Dislike
Why is Grimes on the outer. Still fit & angry. Got his paddy up last game. Last two seasons side crippled by injuries so life as a backman has not been easy. Prefer Grimes any time over Young /Gibcus/Miller who to me just aint angry enough. Once ya hit the ground you still have to contest . Of all the young backmen the one who impressed me the most is Tresize. Looked like another Tom Stewart.

Those three you could argue are in our best 15 players. Prestia probably pushing it though… Grimes, Pickett and McIntosh definitely aren’t. Still got a solid core of experienced players even if we drop the 3 I mentioned. Their roles are replaceable too with what we have on the list. Banks wing for kamdyn, Brown/Trezise in for Grimes, and Juddy, Coulthard or even cumbo for Pickett
Yep maybe both can be true - I agree with players you have mentioned, so perhaps he doesn’t mean they may all play in a flag again, maybe means younger blokes Shai, Bakes, Rioli, Graham etc
I’ve forgotten what he said now anyway!

Why is Grimes on the outer. Still fit & angry. Got his paddy up last game. Last two seasons side crippled by injuries so life as a backman has not been easy. Prefer Grimes any time over Young /Gibcus/Miller who to me just aint angry enough. Once ya hit the ground you still have to contest . Of all the young backmen the one who impressed me the most is Tresize. Looked like another Tom Stewart.
You right I think Tylar Young needs to get tougher on the ground - and you say angry and arrogant, like a Matty Scarlett

get the 5 day break and the Lynch and Dusty in , but not one senior player dropped from that pathetic effort your kidding me. That's been an issue last 2 years the kids take the rapt. I just hope Yze wake-ups to this because we're going to the same well and that well is dry we need to get games into youth.

Playing Mansell over Clarke is criminal and Brown should come in for Grimes. Besides Campbell our small and medium forwards we're crap Cumberland in for me or Coulthard. Yeah Kossie had a bad game , but why bring him into the club and drop him after 1 game give him a block of games now that Lynch is in the side to takes the heat off him. Kane McAuliffe in for me gives speed and a bit of go.

Put all those players in and we'd lose by 100.

This 'play the kids' defeatism refrain at round 1 is emotive supporter nonsense. It doesn't happen.

And there's a reason. It's not good for the development of any youngster to come into a side with no senior protection and get annihilated.

It's how you ruin development, while losing promising players to other clubs.

You drop Pickett, McIntosh, and Grimes in one week, and replace them with three skinny 18 year olds, then who busts the gut to make up the space under the high ball? Who puts the big body on the line to get crunched? Or do the crunching?

I get the logic of wanting to see what we've got, but we still have to be competitive or it will truly be a wasted year.

And despite the same cynical calls from supporters to play for draft picks, put out non competitive sides, and select for the loss, it's not something you can do and remain a powerful club. You'll lose players, supporters, members, sponsors, and morale.

Drip feed the kids in, like we are, pick our best older players, rest or drop the ones that aren't performing and play to win.

It doesn't mean you don't drop non performers. Grimes may be in trouble in the next few weeks. But there is no reason to drop our experienced wingers after last week.
I agree , but you don't reward mediocre and poor performance premiership players or not should be dropped. Not one from last weeks pathetic effort your kidding me. Been happening last 2 seasons. Our kids take the rapt for the poor performances, from the experience heads.