Round 1 - Changes vs Carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 1 - Changes vs Carlton

He's starting on the ground. The sub will come from these 5. Id say Pickett but could be Mansell

IC
[17] Daniel Rioli,[27] Thomson Dow,[50] Marlion Pickett,[31] Rhyan Mansell,[44] Seth Campbell
Pickett was one of our best last week and we'll need hard bodies against the Blues. No way it's him. Will be Mansell or Campbell.

Reactions: 4 users
Pickett is always good value for mine. Even if he has a quiet Q he has loud footsteps.

Put all those players in and we'd lose by 100.

This 'play the kids' defeatism refrain at round 1 is emotive supporter nonsense. It doesn't happen.

And there's a reason. It's not good for the development of any youngster to come into a side with no senior protection and get annihilated.

It's how you ruin development, while losing promising players to other clubs.

You drop Pickett, McIntosh, and Grimes in one week, and replace them with three skinny 18 year olds, then who busts the gut to make up the space under the high ball? Who puts the big body on the line to get crunched? Or do the crunching?

I get the logic of wanting to see what we've got, but we still have to be competitive or it will truly be a wasted year.

And despite the same cynical calls from supporters to play for draft picks, put out non competitive sides, and select for the loss, it's not something you can do and remain a powerful club. You'll lose players, supporters, members, sponsors, and morale.

Drip feed the kids in, like we are, pick our best older players, rest or drop the ones that aren't performing and play to win.

It doesn't mean you don't drop non performers. Grimes may be in trouble in the next few weeks. But there is no reason to drop our experienced wingers after last week.

Yes and no.

We need to get our raft of youngsters to 50 games as quickly as possible, see what they’ve got.

Yes you need some senior player “scaffolding” but the likes of Short, Balta, Baker, Rioli and Bolton need to learn how to become leaders (Prince already is).

If we are 0-4 and going nowhere then you absolutely load in as much youth as possible. Yes it results in a hellish year but you take the short term hit to morale for a long term launching pad.

We aren’t good enough to be a perennial finals contender. We need to start again if we want another flag.

Pickett was one of our best last week and we'll need hard bodies against the Blues. No way it's him. Will be Mansell

Youde reckon after 5 years of not being dropped,

People would start to consider the importance of his roles and how dilligently he performs them.

It utterly baffles me

Yes and no.

We need to get our raft of youngsters to 50 games as quickly as possible, see what they’ve got.

Yes you need some senior player “scaffolding” but the likes of Short, Balta, Baker, Rioli and Bolton need to learn how to become leaders (Prince already is).

If we are 0-4 and going nowhere then you absolutely load in as much youth as possible. Yes it results in a hellish year but you take the short term hit to morale for a long term launching pad.
Yeah if the form of a few oldies doesn't improve we can start the changing of the guard by bringing in a few kids. Not all at once, you'd rotate them. They'd still have senior support from Vlastuin, Martin, Baker, Taranto, Short, Rioli, Lynch, Balta, Hopper, Nank, Shai, Graham, Broad, Pickett.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a slow, tired, old looking team. Campbell, the Rioli's and Mansell the only speed. Our midfield in particular looks vulnerable, our backline not far behind it.

Reactions: 1 users
This is a slow, tired, old looking team. Campbell, the Rioli's and Mansell the only speed. Our midfield in particular looks vulnerable, our backline not far behind it.
Yep, a midfield of Hopper, Dow, Prestia, Martin, Taranto doesn't have enough run and spread

does the sub have to come from the 5 named on IC?

Dow id reckon

He's starting on the ground. The sub will come from these 5. Id say Pickett but could be Mansell

IC
[17] Daniel Rioli,[27] Thomson Dow,[50] Marlion Pickett,[31] Rhyan Mansell,[44] Seth Campbell
I meant will be subbed off for Nige.

Pickett was one of our best last week and we'll need hard bodies against the Blues. No way it's him. Will be Mansell or Campbell.

He did ok we know he goes in but I didn't feel he was one of our best, didn't use the ball well enough and i reckon that's why Ross is starting on the wing. But I did also add it could be Mansell. I doubt it will be Campbell who kicked two goals, 4 score involvements, had 4 tackles, 5 contested [possessions and used the ball quite well.

Last edited:
The pessimism of this thread is pretty amazing, even for PRE standards.

The Blues have Cripps/Curnow/McKay to negate. Cripps we cannot stop getting the ball but hopefully reduce the impact of those disposals.

I think punters underestimate the impact our inclusions will have. And Prestia/Grimes are proud players. Champs of the game. Doubt they will be satisfied with last weeks performance.

Hopefully Grimes has watched Transformers on repeat and they play him on Curnow. Young can take McKay. Vlas/Gibcus assisting.

Expect a bounce back at the G in front of a big crowd.

• Love

The Blues have Cripps/Curnow/McKay to negate. Cripps we cannot stop getting the ball but hopefully reduce the impact of those disposals.

I think punters underestimate the impact our inclusions will have. And Prestia/Grimes are proud players. Champs of the game. Doubt they will be satisfied with last weeks performance.

Hopefully Grimes has watched Transformers on repeat and they play him on Curnow. Young can take McKay. Vlas/Gibcus assisting.

yeah I think we'll get some wild inconsistent results this year.

champs coincide their monthly blinders with a collection of kids playing out of their skins.

I see no good reason that wont be tonight.

then I reckon the opposite will happen too: the old blokes and the kids all buggered and West Coast beat us by 6 goals

He did ok we know he goes in but I didn't feel he was one of our best, didn't use the ball well enough and i reckon that's why Ross is starting on the wing. But I did also add it could be Mansell. I doubt it will be Campbell who kicked two goals, 4 score involvements, had 4 tackles, 5 contested [possessions and used the ball quite well.
I'm saying it could be the just-turned 19-year-old Campbell because he's coming off a 5-day break after his first game. It'll probably be Mansell.

yeah I think we'll get some wild inconsistent results this year.

champs coincide their monthly blinders with a collection of kids playing out of their skins.

I see no good reason that wont be tonight.

then I reckon the opposite will happen too: the old blokes and the kids all buggered and West Coast beat us by 6 goals
Yeh, you are probably right. But champs are champs because they have pride and don't like losing. Look at the ins and outs

Lynch - Sampson
Nank - Naismith
Martin - Kosi
Mansell - Banks

One big thing we have added (other than the obvious talent) is *smile*. By a factor of 50x.

Think the Blues and their supporters might still be a bit carried away (it was a great win but aginst a flake) and not quite on point for what we will bring.