Round 14 - Other Games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 14 - Other Games

There is a solution to the uneven fixture, even given the limitations of 18 teams and 22 games.
Each team plays each other once. Then they are grouped into three pools of six along the criteria of equal seeding according to the ladder at the time (it can be done, don't want to go into the maths here) and making sure the two-team towns are each in the same pool so you always get your two derbies each year. Then each team plays each other team in their pool once.
Sounds radical but the last two seasons have shown that they can dynamically adjust the fixture on the fly without too much trouble.
It's as fair as you could make it.
Something similar was done in 1901-1907. Eight teams. A double round robin took only 14 rounds, so they split the teams into two even pools of four and played another round robin within each pool for a total of 17 rounds.
The AFL is addicted to the blockbuster (ANZAC Day and Eve, the Showdown, the Derby) and as long as they are there’s a problem trying to fixture them in and make an equitable fixture for the teams not involved in those.

There is a solution to the uneven fixture, even given the limitations of 18 teams and 22 games.
Each team plays each other once. Then they are grouped into three pools of six along the criteria of equal seeding according to the ladder at the time (it can be done, don't want to go into the maths here) and making sure the two-team towns are each in the same pool so you always get your two derbies each year. Then each team plays each other team in their pool once.
Sounds radical but the last two seasons have shown that they can dynamically adjust the fixture on the fly without too much trouble.
It's as fair as you could make it.
Something similar was done in 1901-1907. Eight teams. A double round robin took only 14 rounds, so they split the teams into two even pools of four and played another round robin within each pool for a total of 17 rounds.
That's no fairer than they do now. The difference in the last six games between 6th and 7th is massive.

The only fair draw is an even one. If you want to keep 18 teams and 22 games, that means splitting teams into three groups at the start of the season, with everyone playing the teams in their group twice and everyone else once. That way you have three fair draws for the three groups.

Then you'd have to work out how to decide who makes the finals - does each division have its own 'finals' or say the top two from each make the finals with a wildcard playoff to determine the last two to offset the likelihood of stronger and weaker divisions.

Reactions: 1 user
That's no fairer than they do now. The difference in the last six games between 6th and 7th is massive.
You assume that I mean pool them as 1st to 6th, 7th to 12th, and 13th to 18th. I agree that would be massively uneven (probably even worse than what they do now). But that's not what I wrote. I mean that you would seed the teams according to how they were after round 17 such that each pool is even. The simplest example would be 1st, 6th, 7th, 12th, 13th and 18th in one pool, 2nd, 5th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th in another, and 3rd, 4th, 9th, 10th, 15th and 16th in the third pool. But it would not have to be as clinical as that. There would be many different combinations that would be mathematically as fair as each other, but you could pick one that maximizes the derbies, etc. As long as the ladder positions of the teams in each pool add up to 57, it's as even as it can be.
The only fair draw is an even one. If you want to keep 18 teams and 22 games, that means splitting teams into three groups at the start of the season, with everyone playing the teams in their group twice and everyone else once. That way you have three fair draws for the three groups.
What I suggested amounts to exactly that, with the added advantage that the pooling ends up being based on how the teams performed in the first 17 rounds of the current season, which makes the seeding more even.
Then you'd have to work out how to decide who makes the finals - does each division have its own 'finals' or say the top two from each make the finals with a wildcard playoff to determine the last two to offset the likelihood of stronger and weaker divisions.
This fixture is as fair as it could be. I would base the finals on 1 to 8 on the whole ladder as we do now. The pooling is not to group the teams in to separate ladders, just to make sure that who each team plays in rounds 18 to 22 is as even as possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Port Adelaide have a bottom 4.
If they had double up games against Brisbane WC Geelong and us they would struggle to make the 8

Barracking for North big time here. I can't stand Brisbane's arrogance, but if they lose it keeps our chances of Top 4 alive. I doubt anyone expected them to lose this game so it would be a massive bonus for us.

Reactions: 1 users
Is Charlie Cameron the AFL leader of the cheap free kicks? Geez barely a hold there, here have a kick from the top of the square.

Reactions: 3 users
Who would you choose to shoot for your life: Ben Simmons, Hugh McCluggage or a blindfolded quadruple amputee with Parkinson's?

No, they'll just laugh it off like they do with Mummy

'Oh that Joel Selwood (chuckle chuckle) he's such a loveable clumsy oaf!'
Taylor laughed off one of his grubby acts last night as ‘an ear massage’.

If it were Lynch he’d be a thug. It’s just how it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
How satisfying would it be if the Roos got up against those flogs.
It would be wonderful given the loss last week, but we all know North will fade away and lose by 3-4 goals. Sadly.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Has Daniher ever taken a realistic marking attempt?

Every time I see him he’s just randomly flying through the pack on a weird angle and at the wrong time, like some sort of bungling circus performer.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users