Round 2 - changes to the team. Richmond v GWS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 2 - changes to the team. Richmond v GWS

If we really are a systems based side you would expect we will maintain the forward system we've worked on in the preseason with the three tall forwards and spare ruckman.

If that's the case then who comes in for Riewoldt? By all reports Caddy was putrid in the VFL, Ryan? Biggie Nyuon?

Or do we abandon plan A because we let all our key forward stock walk last year?
Caddy is that much out of favour that I think our Covid top up list would get a game before him.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Judging by the club video of Dimma telling the group Gibcus will debut, there was a noticeable frosty look by Caddy at Dimma and a reluctance to join in the backslapping. Not a great headspace to be in.

Reactions: 1 users
For me Arts just has to make way for one of the kids. Tries hard but he has reached his ceiling. I'd rather get games into others who have more upside.

Also time of one of Short or Rioli to step into the midfield.

I'm going with Rioli first as he has more smarts than Short.

Cotchin goes to HB.

========

In: KMac, RCD, Ralph

Out: Prestia, Jack, Arts,

B: Gibcus, Tarrant, Broad
HB: Cotchin, Grimes, Short
C: Kmac, Martin, Picket
HF: Baker, Balta, Castagna
F: Bolton, Lynch, Edwards
FOL: Nank,, Graham, Rioli
I/C: RalpSmith, Ross, Soldo, RCD
Emerg: Dow

The players got 3 days off and my son ran into Soldo & Prestia out on the town on the Gold Coast

It’s a long season so keeping the players mentally fresh is big , let’s see how they approach round 2

Reactions: 1 user
The key change from last year is the loss of two champion defenders, Astbury and Houli.
I would like to see Baker on the HBF again, as a ground ball interceptor.
When we have strengthened our defence, he can play forward.
This is a must win game, we cannot go 0-2.
b Short Grimes Broad
Baker Tarrant Vlaustin
KMac Graham Pickett
Rioli Balta Bolton
Castagna Lynch Edwards
foll Nank Martin Cotchin
i Gibcus Hugo RCD Soldo

Last edited:
The key change from last year is the loss of two champion defenders, Astbury and Houli.
I would like to see Baker on the HBF again, as a ground ball interceptor.
When we have strengthened our defence, he can play forward.
This is a must win game, we cannot go 0-2.
b Short Grimes Broad
Baker Tarrant Vlaustin
KMac Graham Pickett
Rioli Balta Bolton
Castagna Lynch Edwards
foll Nank Martin Cotchin
i Gibcus Hugo RCD Soldo
You can take Vlaustin out pretty sure he has a few more weeks on the sidelines by the way Peter Burge was talking.

No need to panic , as somebody pointed out to me, Blues got 5 goals from crazy 50s , massive momentum swingers.

I think the Blues will make the 8 so not sure our form is as bad as some say .

Ridiculous criticism has been aimed at our recruiters , while sticking to pick best player mantra they have added basically to all our future needs , at this point im unsure if 2022 is going to be a great mix of our elite and future stars pushing into the 22 or could it be our stars are starting to slow and the youth are going to need more time or simply not up to it.

Not what I think will happen however, I’d have Dow come in for Prestia , imho best of the “ potential “ young mids , other option for me would be Martyn, genuine grunt inside and does run both ways . Stack is the obvious forward to come into replace Jack , I’d have a serious look at Sonsie or Clarke, both have genuine goal sense , we definitely need some goal kicking class allowing Bolton and Baker to play more through the midfield. Obviously K Mac comes back in , Pickett was close to our best so maybe we go back to the grunt on both wings

Balta and Lynch forward , Tarrant and Gibcus back

Reactions: 4 users
Need to fix centre clearance issues otherwise will face same problems again next week.
Interesting watching the replay again . We rely on scoring from turnovers as was the case last year . Centre clearance huge issue . Unfortunately Cotch got destroyed by Cripps

Reading all the posts on here it is obvious we just don't seem to have a midfield answer.
Maybe we have not recruited well as far as mids go.
If we continue to get smashed in that area then we are not going to go anywhere.

If we drop Aarts and bring in Mansell, could we move Short to the wing or even as a small forward. He’s got pace and a big kick. Started his career as a small pacy forward. Take your pick of RCD, Dow, etc. to cover for Prestia. KMac comes back and having Balta and Lynch in the forward line makes them big enough up forward.

Even with the Covid situation, many young players are stepping up and playing really well in their first games. Our second string mids are now on borrowed time.

I think we are like old mother Hubbard with nothing in the midfield cupboard. Without Prestia and Lambert we just can't compete anymore. We just have to take our punishment and make decisions on the likes of Dow, Ross, RCD, Martyn. We either decided not to or couldn't afford to add to our midfield group. I think the last half of last year was our true level now.

This great group that have given so much joy just aren't what they were. Age catches up with everyone eventually. The Cats older group are still driven because they haven't had the same success. It's going to be critical to add to the midfield over the next couple of years. We don't want to end up like Essendon and St Kilda and get stuck in mediocrity for years.

Reactions: 8 users