Round 2 - changes to the team. Richmond v GWS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 2 - changes to the team. Richmond v GWS

I think we are like old mother Hubbard with nothing in the midfield cupboard. Without Prestia and Lambert we just can't compete anymore. We just have to take our punishment and make decisions on the likes of Dow, Ross, RCD, Martyn. We either decided not to or couldn't afford to add to our midfield group. I think the last half of last year was our true level now.

This great group that have given so much joy just aren't what they were. Age catches up with everyone eventually. The Cats older group are still driven because they haven't had the same success. It's going to be critical to add to the midfield over the next couple of years. We don't want to end up like Essendon and St Kilda and get stuck in mediocrity for years.
We will get a good look at Tom Green from GWS this week. He was awesome last night. Would be nice to have him in our midfield this year.
The season has just began. We have to find a combination that gets the ball out of the centre. Maybe Bolton in there more. I don’t think Cotchin will be beaten like that again.
When fit RCD may take the next step, was training well before COVID. Dow or the other Martin. Even Pickett to bash and crash for ten minutes a quarter. I’m not sure what the answer is but we have to halve the clearances in the middle and cut out the 50 metre penalties and i think we will be alright

Reactions: 3 users
In my opinion we need to replace 2 roles -

1 ‘run up and run back’ - the lambert role - Rioli is ripe for this, so is castagna (though the thought horrifies me when it comes to kicking it), Ross is fit enough but not quick - 2 players running the corridor all day.

2 ‘get the ball and farm it out’ RCD, Dow, maybe Ross, stack in bursts I don’t think Martyn is all that good.

I’d like to see Mansell back for Rioli, stack in for aarts, Rioli jr for Riewoldt (just pure harassment all day if fit enough) kmac/Pickett on the wings

Prestias great value is he does both roles all day very effectively. Hard to replace with one player

Reactions: 1 users
We will get a good look at Tom Green from GWS this week. He was awesome last night. Would be nice to have him in our midfield this year.
The season has just began. We have to find a combination that gets the ball out of the centre. Maybe Bolton in there more. I don’t think Cotchin will be beaten like that again.
When fit RCD may take the next step, was training well before COVID. Dow or the other Martin. Even Pickett to bash and crash for ten minutes a quarter. I’m not sure what the answer is but we have to halve the clearances in the middle and cut out the 50 metre penalties and i think we will be alright
Apart from your comments on Tom Green, I think you are clutching at straws *smile*.
All of the possibles for a mid gig are really raw and mostly untried.
Cotchin is an exception there of course, but his days are numbered by age.
The fact is, we just don't have any midfield depth, and that will bite us in the backside for a long time methinks.
Do agree, as do most on here, about the stupid 5 metre penalties we dished out.

Reactions: 1 user
In my opinion we need to replace 2 roles -

1 ‘run up and run back’ - the lambert role - Rioli is ripe for this, so is castagna (though the thought horrifies me when it comes to kicking it), Ross is fit enough but not quick - 2 players running the corridor all day.

2 ‘get the ball and farm it out’ RCD, Dow, maybe Ross, stack in bursts I don’t think Martyn is all that good.

I’d like to see Mansell back for Rioli, stack in for aarts, Rioli jr for Riewoldt (just pure harassment all day if fit enough) kmac/Pickett on the wings

Prestias great value is he does both roles all day very effectively. Hard to replace with one player
A fitter Graham runs all game. That's a huge help.
As some poster said dimma doesn't make a lot of changes week to week. If round 1 comes around and aarts is in the 22. He must be valued so I can't see any one dropped.
RCD maybe not fit. Stack. Next in line.
Really need about 15 players to lift. Give them a few weeks.
We don't even play the G well anymore.
I came into the season with zero expectations. So far I haven't been disappointed

Last edited:
I think we are like old mother Hubbard with nothing in the midfield cupboard. Without Prestia and Lambert we just can't compete anymore. We just have to take our punishment and make decisions on the likes of Dow, Ross, RCD, Martyn. We either decided not to or couldn't afford to add to our midfield group. I think the last half of last year was our true level now.

This great group that have given so much joy just aren't what they were. Age catches up with everyone eventually. The Cats older group are still driven because they haven't had the same success. It's going to be critical to add to the midfield over the next couple of years. We don't want to end up like Essendon and St Kilda and get stuck in mediocrity for years.
We need two A grade mids in the 2022/23 off season to remain competitive. That will required hard decisions on the players current taking a big chunk of our salary cap e.g. Jack, Cotch, Edwards, Rioli to name a few. If we don't...we will be lucky to make the 8 for the next few years.

Green, cerra IN needed more retirements. You'd think dimma would know if cotch and Edwards weren't up to it. Cotch was contracted.
Now Lambert and Prestia injured.
I loved Michael Green but I don't think Tom is going to leave easily.

To say that Prestia is going to be a loss is a massive understatement, he is such a good clearance player.

We got smashed in the midfield, and it will happen again against GWS, Dusty and Shai need to play predominately midfield, play Marlion there too. RCD to come in if his ribs are ok.

Sheda, Bakes and Syd to play forward, they can cover the loss of Dusty and Shai spending less time.

CARN THE TIGES !!!!

Cumberland in for Castagna who has had 0 tackles in his last 3 games and kicked 1 goal.
George was in the best 6-8 tigers players on the ground.

16 touches 9 marks and equal most score involvements for any Tiger. George is not getting dropped any time soon.

Reactions: 6 users
Reckon we need to have a close look at our ruck play.Seems to me our midfielders could be helped by having a better system.

Outs: Prestia (inj), Jack (nj), Aarts, Soldo
Ins: Macintosh, one of RCD/Dow/Parker, Stack, Ralphsmith

^We don't need Soldo when Balta can rotate with Nank in the ruck.
^^Would also like to see Ross out and bring in Mansell, but can't see Dimma making 5 changes.

Last edited:
We smashed Carlton until Prestia went off...so not a lot missing.

A lack of discipline lost us the match. which I think is our main issue. Hubris is alive at Punt Road.

Success in any field requires a belief in ones destiny, the thrill of the competition and the desire to win. We all as human beings like to take shortcuts. What I have observed from success is that as soon as you start believing the publicity - mentally you are shot. Get back to the fundamentals and build from there. We have the players...just need the attitude readjustment.

Reactions: 4 users

16 touches 9 marks and equal most score involvements for any Tiger. George is not getting dropped any time soon.
Absolutely...George is safe...Ross and Aarts plus maybe Soldo (structure, not being harsh on a guy that played his first game in 18 months) are those on the chopping block...if Nank pulls up flat physically because of post-COVID fatigue then maybe he should have a few weeks off to fully recover and play Soldo. I don't get why we were so focused on players making round 1 that we shot ourselves in the foot...Vlassie rushed back to training and now he's going to be out at least another 3 weeks from the sound of it. And Nank maybe shouldn't have played. Graham also underdone...

To say that Prestia is going to be a loss is a massive understatement, he is such a good clearance player.

We got smashed in the midfield, and it will happen again against GWS, Dusty and Shai need to play predominately midfield, play Marlion there too. RCD to come in if his ribs are ok.

Sheda, Bakes and Syd to play forward, they can cover the loss of Dusty and Shai spending less time.

CARN THE TIGES !!!!
Agree with that midfield setup, Dusty, Shai and Marlion...will be good to get KMac back...I can't help but hope that Sonsie is ready to play this week

Probably won't get dropped, perhaps he's not in the side to kick goals, as has only kicked 6 goals from his last 17 games, 3 of them were in one game.

I don't mind George, but at the moment he doesn't know what to do when he has a set shot.

Who knows, Cumberland might come in and get those sort of numbers, and kick goals !!

Probably won't get dropped, perhaps he's not in the side to kick goals, as has only kicked 6 goals from his last 17 games, 3 of them were in one game.

I don't mind George, but at the moment he doesn't know what to do when he has a set shot.

Who knows, Cumberland might come in and get those sort of numbers, and kick goals !!
George is playing a different role. Playing further up the ground and getting most of his possessions on a wing.

We won premierships from our mosquito fleet, so let’s get rid of so many talls. It’s not working

If Reiwoldt is out, no way Balta is rucking for Soldo. Balta will be permanent forward.

I don't think it will matter much what we do with our midfield before the next game, what hope do we have against Green, Taranto, Ward, Coniglio, Hopper?

If Reiwoldt is out, no way Balta is rucking for Soldo. Balta will be permanent forward.

I don't think it will matter much what we do with our midfield before the next game, what hope do we have against Green, Taranto, Ward, Coniglio, Hopper?
Yeh, I'm looking forward to watching Balta & Lynch as the 2 key forwards.

And surely our ruck combo won't be beaten as comprehensively again?