Round 9 Other Games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 9 Other Games

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Who is Sarong (sp?). Looks a star in the making

Put this together on him last year, I was huge fan.

Hawthorn are over the moon to get Caleb Serong.

I’m genuinely surprised that Serong got to the Hawks pick. And according to the latest pundits, it’s a real possibility that Serong after being talked about as a top 5 pick all year, could get to 10 in the real thing. Now, this happens every year.

After the actual playing of games, after all the testing, no one likes the obvious. Everyone is looking for the “edge”, the less obvious pick, the one that will make everyone look smarter than the next guy. This year, Caleb Serong is getting that treatment. His body of work over this year gives no reason why he shouldn’t be a top 5 pick. The first thing I really like about Serong is he has a real swagger about him on the paddock. There’s been a lot of talk of him playing like Robbie Gray, I see that a bit. For me he is a Toby Greene clone. Style, attitude and ability. For someone who is only 178cm he is a super one on one player in the air and on the ground. Attacks it at a million miles an hour and with intent. You can play him one out in the goal square and kick it on his head and he will find a way to take it. At 178cm and 83kg, he is a powerhouse. Plays much bigger. And is a match winner, will turn games quickly with. Has magic. But also has smarts, when he pushes up the ground, he sees things that others don’t makes the play that opens up the game. At times he can get too excited and just punt it down the line but when he plays with control he makes the right call. Natural footballer. Football quick, watch him at a stoppage, hands in tight are fast. But hasn’t really had preseasons up until this year due to playing state cricket up to under 16’s. So for me, there is still huge scope for improvement as he gets fitter. Which leads me to the midfield question, can he go through there? I’ve commented before that the days of drafting pure forwards under 188cm is just about done. As the boy does preseasons he will become a mid. Spent most of his time in the midfield this year, his numbers in big games show that he can already play there.

Finals numbers 25 touches per game, as well as four marks, five tackles, five inside 50’s .

And this stat line against WA at the champs, 33 disposals, 10 clearances and nine tackles were as co-captain he won Vic Country MVP and made the All Australian side.

These performances are done with limited preseasons at TAC level, once he gets fitter, he can be a mid. Might start off down forward with bursts through the middle and that’s fine.

I had the Hawks pinged for Fisher McAsey and Luke Jackson. These were the two that I thought would be on the board and also be best fit. Hawks need a ruck and just went and got Patton & Frost to play regular football so the key posts are skinny. Mitchell Lewis showed a bit and is a building block. But then I looked closer at what the Hawks have at ground level in the attacking half of the ground. . An aging Luke Breust who lead the goal kicking with 34 but is a shadow of himself, the next small to be listed is Chad Wingard with 14 and Tom Scully with 12!!! Wingard may get back to his best but is 27 next year and his last three years have produced 24,22 and 12 goals with a spell in the VFL last year. Looks a shadow of himself and that trade is looking more and more ugly. Give me Burton and Xavier Durusma and an extra 300k in my salary cap any day of the week. So all of a sudden the chance to add a Serong, is far too good an opportunity to pass up. Adding a match winner who is competitive, with scope for improvement is a huge win at 10.

And he screams a Clarko type, it's a great fit for player and club.

Reactions: 1 user

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
They just showed a games lost through injury table and they show us 4th best. Surely not with the length and quality of our outs?
Got a feeling they don't include blokes like Shane and Bachar because they're not classified as injured, whereas anyone who's missing due to mental health issues of which, apparently, there are quite a few and not as widely publicized, which is understandable, are considered injured.
Also, I'm happy to be corrected, but I don't think any of the young blokes yet to debut who are injured are included.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
KAYO 14 day free trial worth a go? Got a feeling it will be worth it Waiting.
If you have a Telstra account they were offering Kayo for 30 days free and then the next 11 months @$15pm... I signed up last week and it's ok when you get used to it.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
2018 was the outlier for Collingwood, not the other way around. Boring, dull, defensive, impotent going forward.
Yep, but will credit Buckley and Co. with developing a method/style (game-plan) to succeed, as it was until recently. It's limited by a FL with no star KPF (because we got Tom Lynch and they didn't!). So he has had to adapt with a range of speedy, reasonably-good marking players like Mihocek, H-E, J. Elliot, Stephenson and, of course, Degoey.

It relies heavily on a top ruckman and a fairly strong midfield but only Pendles and Sidarse are elite disposers. Their 2nd strong feature is the backline: a solid structure with a combination of decent role-players like Maynard and Crisp, Roughead who had been ok/good until Kennedy got hold of them and was cut savagely. It's a well-organised team defence that stops a lot of attacks in the air with height and strong marking, gets numbers back to handball back or out if in trouble. Overall, a sharp kicking side that has mastered the short pass and frequently gets away with <15m. Good in the air overall too.
But their vital defence has lost one key plank in Howe. Now relies unduly on Darcy Moore who is one of their crucial performers.
Without DeGoey also, their most dangerous forward, they really do lack depth. And still need Pendles composure and classy ball-use under pressure so much.

You simply must not allow Sidearse to run freely between the arcs as Freo decided to do after Q1 today. He nearly won the game for them; not only can he get a heap of it; he is usually deadly on either side and a creative HB too. Then you must put a strong opponent on Moore down back - not let him roam around and mop up. He is the defence lynchpin and can deliver the ball dangerously if allowed to run out too.
When Pendles is back, must prevent him having lots of time and space too.

Lately, opposition are winning the clearances from Grundy's dominance. This is really stuffing them.
Overall, Colonwood have been unravelled at present.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
They just showed a games lost through injury table and they show us 4th best. Surely not with the length and quality of our outs?
That's really hard to figure. Are other sides missing as many premiership players as us!?

Last edited:

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
If you have a Telstra account they were offering Kayo for 30 days free and then the next 11 months @$15pm... I signed up last week and it's ok when you get used to it.

if you have Telstra just watch the games on the AFL App for free

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Thanks Backpocket!!!
Was going to recommend same thing. You can even get a shared subscription with some mates later. I recommend Kayo for getting through these lockdowns. Being able to watch some of these extra matches like the Pies' loss today ... made my day lift!
Can also get a Telstra device/ISP and at least watch all games on your phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Was going to recommend same thing. You can even get a shared subscription with some mates later. I recommend Kayo for getting through these lockdowns. Being able to watch some of these extra matches like the Pies' loss today ... made my day lift!
Can also get a Telstra device/ISP and at least watch all games on your phone.

Thank you.
Was listening to the last 2 mins when it was 6 points.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
@LeeToRainesToRoach , has anyone won the flag from 10th position with 8 rounds to go?

4th is the best effort, by North in 2015 (next five opponents were 13th or worse) and again in 1997 (6 opponents 10th or worse).

Hawthorn in 2018 (7 opponents 9th or worse) and Fitzroy in 1984 finished 5th.

Lowest-ranked premiers with 8 games to go were South in 1933 and Essendon in 1949, who were 8th/12. Then Carlton in 1945 and Richmond last year, 7th.

Reactions: 5 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
4th is the best effort, by North in 2015 (next five opponents were 13th or worse) and again in 1997 (6 opponents 10th or worse).

Hawthorn in 2018 (7 opponents 9th or worse) and Fitzroy in 1984 finished 5th.

Lowest-ranked premiers with 8 games to go were South in 1933 and Essendon in 1949, who were 8th/12. Then Carlton in 1945 and Richmond last year, 7th.
Ta, so Collingwood would have to create history to win the flag from here.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The Pies next 3 games are the Swans, Crows and the Dees. As someone said recently the Dockers, Swans, Crows and the Dees is a cushy draw for them.
Yep, but they just stuffed the first one up, hopefully Sydney or Melbourne or Adelaide pull off another one.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yep, but they just stuffed the first one up, hopefully Sydney or Melbourne or Adelaide pull off another one.

Maybe Sydney or Melbourne, but Adelaide? Forgetaboutit!

Apparently Adelaide hit some trouble a few years back and have been useless ever since.

Just as an aside - wow, Freo beat Collingwood, what a laugh, great way to end the round.

DS

Reactions: 2 users