Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

You cou

You could be right as I ws only going on what I have read on here and various footy sites
dunno UK ... he seems kinda flimsy... and i hate being negative about our players ...

but if anyone looked like a kid out there today it was him

Reactions: 1 users
dunno UK ... he seems kinda flimsy... and i hate being negative about our players ...

but if anyone looked like a kid out there today it was him

He's 23 and 105kgs. But plays like a 1st year 75kg ruck. There's no way he makes it. Just has no presence about him whatsoever. I'm happy to use this year as a transitional year and see what the kids have got but I'm writing him off (no improvement in competitiveness from prior years))

Not a pimple on Tyrone Vickery’s ass.
And we potted Tyrone relentlessly

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
He's 23 but still plays like a 20 year old. Too gangly, no strength and no presence.

Hard to see him resolving that from here

Reactions: 6 users
Long long way to go unfortunately. Bad decision by Yze to play him especially seeing his pre season form was ordinary

Long long way to go unfortunately. Bad decision by Yze to play him especially seeing his pre season form was ordinary
He is not, and will never be an AFL footballer. Terrible body shape that has not developed and hardened. His giggly gurty mind set is an unfortunate quality that permeates a lot of the newer selections over the last few years.

One of the legacy's of Hardwick is the all inclusive, holistic approach to training, and even recruiting. Please put all that bullshite back in its box and recruit hungry, hard, want to make it in the AFL types - and turn training into just that. Not this high fiving, back slapping, he's a great bloke crap that is another legacy of Hardwick which he no doubt picked up from reading an edition of Woman's Weekly!

The recent picks, with the exception of Green, will form the backbone of a mediocre side as our aging stars retire. Hardwick knew this. Why do you think he jumped ship midway through last season.

The test for Yze will be to juggle the good with the bad to make us competitive in '24 while planning for the future and I hope having a big say about the next recruiting spree.

• Dislike
Along with Dow the most disappointing but unlike Thomson, Samson showed little in the preseason to deserve snr selection. Honestly I thought that was a big step backwards for his career yesterday unfortunately. Both these lads along with Miller probably have been on the list a fair while. All will be nervous about the end of the year unless they take their opportunities. Ryan failed to yesterday..

Reactions: 1 user
Dustin Fletcher never had "bulk". Samson showed real signs last year. Some of the best "tap work," I've seen from a Richmond ruck. I'd persist. His forward craft wasn't special but it wasn't abysmal either. Quite why he looked so lost out there I don't know but Yze and the team need to figure that out pronto. You don't scorch young rucks, and certainly not those who've shown the ability of this bloke.

Dismissal failure yesterday
His ability to apply a contest is a huge worry
Witts is on his last legs
Couldn’t contest with him
Couldn’t jump and contest
Sorry seen enough
Never again

Doesn't matter if Ryan don't make it. We've got about 6 other 7 foot blokes whove never played footy before she'll be right

• Haha
Big men need big men mentality.

No point having size if you aren't confident enough to use it.

Cross him off. He doesn't have the right mindset.

One of the legacy's of Hardwick is the all inclusive, holistic approach to training, and even recruiting. Please put all that bullshite back in its box and recruit hungry, hard, want to make it in the AFL types - and turn training into just that. Not this high fiving, back slapping, he's a great bloke crap that is another legacy of Hardwick which he no doubt picked up from reading an edition of Woman's Week
Sorry but this is ridiculous, I don't get how someone can be a tigers supporter and not understand that the change in culture *away* from the toxic BS you're saying we should go back too, is the difference between us in 2016 & 2017.

Reactions: 7 users
While it's entirely possible the plan was always to sub a big bloke out of the game for the small bloke, the coaches ultimately had no choice but to get Ryan off.

Thank God there were no game-ending injuries beforehand.

That simply was not a performance worthy of the guernsey. Balta—similar age, similar size—turned the game with his relief ruck work in the third term. We were torched in the clearances until then.

I haven't lost all hope in Ryan but he simply MUST go back to the reserves and learn to play there. We cannot have a bloke flatlining in the firsts.

I remember Tim English getting pantsed early in his career before putting on some weight and quickly working out what was needed to be a dominant ruckman.

I had similar hopes that Ryan would become that player.

If not now, when?