Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

Vickery copped a heck of a lot of flack but right now I'd be happy if Samson could get near these numbers.

Not an apples with apples comparison. That link looks at 1 game for Ryan (the Gold Coast game this year where the entire team didn't show up), vs Tyrone's entire 2014 season (albeit only 12 games).

To make it a bit fairer, you'd have to wait til the end of this season and include any other games Ryan chalks up. Or you could look at Ryan's 2023 season (14 games, but a year less experience) against Ty's 2014 season, and then their numbers are pretty similar despite Ryan having 20% less time on ground.

Reactions: 1 user
Not an apples with apples comparison. That link looks at 1 game for Ryan (the Gold Coast game this year where the entire team didn't show up), vs Tyrone's entire 2014 season (albeit only 12 games).

To make it a bit fairer, you'd have to wait til the end of this season and include any other games Ryan chalks up. Or you could look at Ryan's 2023 season (14 games, but a year less experience) against Ty's 2014 season, and then their numbers are pretty similar despite Ryan having 20% less time on ground.
That's fair & I actually meant to compared their outputs from last season.
i was really impressed by Samson's games last year. This year I'd hoped he have gone on with it. May yet..

Played a great game in the ruck today. Really stood up against Lobb. Went up forward in the last quarter and kicked a big goal. But that meant we lost his influence in the ruck and was the reason why Lobb got a hold of the game.

I can see what the match committee are doing. Definitely getting ready to take over from Nank.

Reactions: 4 users
Played a great game in the ruck today. Really stood up against Lobb. Went up forward in the last quarter and kicked a big goal. But that meant we lost his influence in the ruck and was the reason why Lobb got a hold of the game.

I can see what the match committee are doing. Definitely getting ready to take over from Nank.
The way we are using Nank, we will wear him out prematurely just like we did with Big Ivan so we need to see what Delilah has got as a ruck / forward in a block of games as a Naismith is not the answer and we need some height up front

Five disposals? 0 clearance? Hot VFA game but that ain’t afl.

Yeah, nah.

Stats Shmats.

They don’t always paint a true picture Jack.
5 disposals? And you’re pumping up tyres.

The bar has never been lower.

We have 26 fit players and he is no certainty to play AFL.

If he isn’t getting games now, boy, I don’t know how you can be so confident in the future.

Stats Shmats.

They don’t always paint a true picture Jack.

You watch VFL, SA, so you know just how dominant Samson is at the level. Usually. I don't reckon Cleanest Knees was that by any means on the weekend. I reckon he was flogged for long periods and beaten overall.

Smith's stats. Lobb's (BOG) stats. Maybe 18yo Lachlan Smith's stats flattered him a little. Or did he get busy around the ground? I reckon Samson's flattered him. 45HO might lead people to believe that he controlled the ruck. I don't reckon he did. I think Lobb did. And five touches for Samson flattered him IMO. I gave him a yeah, nah. That's an 18yo opponent. A bloody fill up.

That said, I'm coming around to the idea that eventually Ryan can be more useful at AFL level as a Gunston type when he goes forward. Samson can dob them from the boundary at will. We could let him lead wide and open space for Balta and Mykelti. It's not RFC stuff but it works. He can already do that at AFL level and is well above VFL in that respect, as he showed in the final quarter when Morro sent him forward for a confidence booster.

I think Ryan is close to senior level. But was off on the weekend. TBH I am getting the odd Minson vibe atm. A bit more focus required.

You watch VFL, SA, so you know just how dominant Samson is at the level. Usually. I don't reckon Cleanest Knees was that by any means on the weekend. I reckon he was flogged for long periods and beaten overall.

Smith's stats. Lobb's (BOG) stats. Maybe 18yo Lachlan Smith's stats flattered him a little. Or did he get busy around the ground? I reckon Samson's flattered him. 45HO might lead people to believe that he controlled the ruck. I don't reckon he did. I think Lobb did. And five touches for Samson flattered him IMO. I gave him a yeah, nah. That's an 18yo opponent. A bloody fill up.

That said, I'm coming around to the idea that eventually Ryan can be more useful at AFL level as a Gunston type when he goes forward. Samson can dob them from the boundary at will. We could let him lead wide and open space for Balta and Mykelti. It's not RFC stuff but it works. He can already do that at AFL level and is well above VFL in that respect, as he showed in the final quarter when Morro sent him forward for a confidence booster.

I think Ryan is close to senior level. But was off on the weekend. TBH I am getting the odd Minson vibe atm. A bit more focus required.
What is he: is he the next Max Gawn as the Dunces of Doom have been prattling on about for the last 2 years ? Or is he a spud like people such as Scoop Dog have been saying ?

I don’t want any middle of the road, fence sitting answers. Gimme the God damn truth. I can handle it Roberto!

What is he: is he the next Max Gawn as the Dunces of Doom have been prattling on about for the last 2 years ? Or is he a spud like people such as Scoop Dog have been saying ?

I don’t want any middle of the road, fence sitting answers. Gimme the God damn truth. I can handle it Roberto!
When he plays as a ruck he's an amazing forward. When he plays forward he's an amazing centre bounce ruck. Simple!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
No doubt about it this has been a disappointing start to the year for Samson. He should be playing snr football. He isn’t & that says it all. Bang the door down son. Should be dominating at VFL level now.

Reactions: 1 users
Sam's trajectory has plateaud. When was the last time we developed a ruckman?

It's interesting. Random fact - By Leysy's count 12 out of 18 first rucks are from another club.

Shows the different times they mature (and that only one can play at a time).

Simply put he needs to get much stronger, he gets moved around in the contest way too easily for mine

Yeah agree with that. He's had a really solid year at VFL level. Kicking goals when forward, dominating hitouts and getting the ball (until last week) when ruck.

But as you say, that core strength still needs to build (and it will). Then you'll see his performance spike.

Reactions: 3 users