Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

Sam Draper is 26 this year. If that’s the timeline, boy. Samson is 23, will be 24 all next year.

Toby Conway just turned 21 and I’d swap them in a heartbeat.

Tom De Koning is 24 and starting to dominate games.

Age, experience, project, premiership captain, All Australian and every other term in between.

It’s time, show something.

Reactions: 1 user
Sam Draper is 26 this year. If that’s the timeline, boy. Samson is 23, will be 24 all next year.

Toby Conway just turned 21 and I’d swap them in a heartbeat.

Tom De Koning is 24 and starting to dominate games.

Age, experience, project, premiership captain, All Australian and every other term in between.

It’s time, show something.

Enough of the skirting around the packs Aaron Fiora.

Quoting everyone else.

Sitting on the fence.

You've watched him for long enough.

Simple question. Will Samson make an AFL career? Yes or No?

Enough of the skirting around the packs Aaron Fiora.

Quoting everyone else.

Sitting on the fence.

You've watched him for long enough.

Simple question. Will Samson make an AFL career? Yes or No?
You’ve jumped off from your crew of All Australian, premiership captain, better than Tim English to does he have an AFL career?

What does that even mean? I don’t think he’s any of the above and won’t make the grade. I’d take any trade.

Tell me how good he gets.

Last edited:
You’ve jumped off from your crew of All Australian, premiership captain, better than Tim English to foes he have an AFL career?

What does that even mean? I don’t think he’s any of the above and won’t make the grade. I’d take any trade.

Tell me how good he gets.

Take any trade? Least we finally have an answer.

Leysy's view - Same as always. Never changed or wavered. Will make a quality AFL No 1 ruckman. Still firm on that.

Reactions: 2 users
@Scoop, @Leysy Days I think you kids could make a firm and quantified bet on the whole Samson Ryan controversy. Could be booze. Could be snackfoods with high blisspoints. Could be naked walking. Or even better, clothed. That will engage the entire PRE community.

We just need some criteria you agree on. And some desirable snackfood ideas. Snackfoods with irresistible evanescence.

Cheesy Poooooffs.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I’m surprised he’s not playing tomorrow.
Especially given our woes up forward.
What the heck are they waiting for?
Not as if his core strength is somehow going to miraculously improve at round 11.
Are we holding him back for his development or maybe they don’t think he’s up to it (yet). I’m sure most here would have thought he’d be playing snr footy this year ahead of Naismith as a forward option but he’s not playing at a time we are developing young players??

Reactions: 5 users
@Scoop, @Leysy Days I think you kids could make a firm and quantified bet on the whole Samson Ryan controversy. Could be booze. Could be snackfoods with high blisspoints. Could be naked walking. Or even better, clothed. That will engage the entire PRE community.

We just need some criteria you agree on. And some desirable snackfood ideas. Snackfoods with irresistible evanescence.

Cheesy Poooooffs.
Cheetos.

Not as if his core strength is somehow going to miraculously improve at round 11.
Are we holding him back for his development or maybe they don’t think he’s up to it (yet). I’m sure most here would have thought he’d be playing snr footy this year ahead of Naismith as a forward option but he’s not playing at a time we are developing young players??
He’s about to sign a new contract from all reports so whatever is holding him back from playing seniors you’d assume he’s aware of and working on.

Totally agree. MC needs to have an honest review of their selections.

Will be 24 next season and that's the age players' bodies naturally mature to show some guns. Wiki shows 105kg....is that true coz he doesn't look it yet.

Will be 24 next season and that's the age players' bodies naturally mature to show some guns. Wiki shows 105kg....is that true coz he doesn't look it yet.
24 he should be coming into his prime?
Why do our talls always struggle to make it while other clubs have talls show something almost immediately.
The Vikings went in the 20's.

Watched him closely today. Did some great stuff - he's clearly above the level. And that pack mark he clunked over the back of the oppo ruckman was nice.

But geez, so often it looks like he lacks any sort of urgency. Maybe I'm just too used to watching Nank crack in with 2nd and 3rd efforts. But I kinda have the feeling Ryan's a little too used to watching other players crack in with 2nd and 3rd efforts also.

Reactions: 1 users
Puzzling 4 games in the best and performing and we go for a pure ruck as a forward.

Apart from rucking there was pretty much bugger all in the first half of the game, just stood around spectating a lot, no second efforts. Second half was much better, worked far harder n got himself properly involved. Keep pushing the ruck work into him with an occasional sneak down forward for a quiet sausage or two.

Watched him closely today. Did some great stuff - he's clearly above the level. And that pack mark he clunked over the back of the oppo ruckman was nice.

But geez, so often it looks like he lacks any sort of urgency. Maybe I'm just too used to watching Nank crack in with 2nd and 3rd efforts. But I kinda have the feeling Ryan's a little too used to watching other players crack in with 2nd and 3rd efforts also.
It’s interesting Biddis but that was the charge against Gawn in his early days. Even now when you watch him he never seems to be super urgent.
I’ll give Samson the benefit of the doubt but to me the last two weeks at vfl level has done nothing but confirm to me that he is first and foremost a ruckman and tracking to be a good one.

Reactions: 2 users
2 years ago in a pre-season briefing Samson said he was a forward first and ruck second. And that all his coaching/development/game instructions was to that end. He now seems to have done a 180 on that and is ruck first and forward second. Looks better in that role.

Reactions: 3 users