Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

He’ll get a go next week but he’d better bring consistent intensity across the whole game. Up to him, getting a game by default really.
Yep. Can't go any worse than the big Crawdad Naismith, but if the Samsung fires up he may even provide some forward structure and ability to go along with his assistant ruck work. Hardly gunna expect him to tear a game apart but he could be helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep. Can't go any worse than the big Crawdad Naismith, but if the Samsung fires up he may even provide some forward structure and ability to go along with his assistant ruck work. Hardly gunna expect him to tear a game apart but he could be helpful.
I would play him as 1st ruck but that won't happen but to me he comes in anyway. Play Balta, Ryan and Lefau forward and Mykelti can play as a legitimate 3rd forward. Ryan as relief ruck.
Balta and Lefau can play up the ground and Samson as the deepest forward.
It's not perfect but at least we have a structure rather than a 6 game rookie being the only key forward surrounded by resting rucks with no forward craft at all.

Reactions: 5 users
When he plays we bag him and now we want him back.
Another Clarke special.
Bring back Cumberland and forget this bloke

Time for a block of games to show his development, should come in for Naismith, but I expect the Kosi, Naismith merry go round will continue.

Looking ahead, if the club sees Ryan as a long term ruck, surely it’s time to play him now so by season’s end we have a good idea of where he’s at. Pump the games into him. Otherwise I can see a situation where Nank is nearing the end, Naismith is a backup only and we still aren’t sure about Ryan. That will be a real problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Time for a block of games to show his development, should come in for Naismith, but I expect the Kosi, Naismith merry go round will continue.
How far away is the VFL to AFL??
Naismith was described as the premier ruckman last yr. Even Collingwood looked at him. He is worse then Griffens and Elton and he makes Vickery look like Kernahan.
Enough is enough.
Why do other clubs find Milocheck, Sullivan etc and Clarke comes back with Naismith??

I don't always pay to much attention to what coaches say post game, but I was disappointed in the justification of posting Naismith ahead of Ryan.
I understand they might want Ryan to continue to build confidence, and to focus on how he plays in the VFL. I understand they might want him to play VFL so he can ruck the whole game.
But Yze basically said Naismith played cos he is a better ruck than Ryan.
Hopefully he was just making something up on the spot.

How far away is the VFL to AFL??
Naismith was described as the premier ruckman last yr. Even Collingwood looked at him. He is worse then Griffens and Elton and he makes Vickery look like Kernahan.
Enough is enough.
Why do other clubs find Milocheck, Sullivan etc and Clarke comes back with Naismith??
You are right I reckon. Such a big gap between VFL and AFL. U only have to look at Sonsie and McAuliffe VFL performances. Pies got lucky with Milocheck as he was a VFL defender and drafted to play there.

But Yze basically said Naismith played cos he is a better ruck than Ryan.
Yet Samsung's a way better forward than Crawdad and we're desperate for some forward size n craft to support Liftmykiltup. Samsung also has the proven capacity to be a more than adequate back up part time ruck to give Nank a spell.

Looking ahead, if the club sees Ryan as a long term ruck, surely it’s time to play him now so by season’s end we have a good idea of where he’s at. Pump the games into him. Otherwise I can see a situation where Nank is nearing the end, Naismith is a backup only and we still aren’t sure about Ryan. That will be a real problem.
Yep! What does bother me is we run a good ruck into the ground by overworking his body without giving him adequate support. We did this with Maric and we are doing this with Nanks so we need to use our burgeoning ruck stocks wisely

Reactions: 2 users
Will he play this week with Balta returning?
Would be a chance to preview the structure for when Lynch returns. And if Lynch does return, maybe the only chance to play Samson as 2nd ruck all season. (Maybe we rest Nank to give him a go at #1. Ryan/Balta combo is the future.)

Reactions: 2 users
Apart from rucking there was pretty much bugger all in the first half of the game, just stood around spectating a lot, no second efforts. Second half was much better, worked far harder n got himself properly involved. Keep pushing the ruck work into him with an occasional sneak down forward for a quiet sausage or two.
They must've forgot to spa and rough him up before the game. Remember that preseason game against Dees when that happened. He started like a bull.

They must've forgot to spa and rough him up before the game. Remember that preseason game against Dees when that happened. He started like a bull.
Not to sure that you usually get roughed up at a spa, that's normally where you go to get all polished up n smoothed out.
Think Samsung might have had a little spar with Clangers to gee himself up before the game.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users