Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
It was interesting that Hardwick gave him such controlled game time yesterday.

Ryan just can't get a contest in the ruck at VFA level. Miles above them. But he can certainly level up as a forward - many times in terms of his taking front position, holding position. Many times in terms of his vaulting packs.

He got a soft quarter in the ones. But he had to play three in the Magoos first. He had to work for it.

Against the raging premiership favourite he missed shots he would usually make. He will have regrets about that but his confidence in his marking will be through the roof.

I reckon things pretty much went to plan. Careful cultivation underway and progressing. At no stage did he ruck.

Reactions: 7 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
If you take just over 3 contested marks per game, you are the best in the competition (Tom Lynch 3.3).

His taking 4 in a quarter reinforces the intensity of the game for me. Not knocking him, just saying we need to see that quarter for what it was. A promising young player making the most of an opportunity to shine without much opposition.
not sure you’d get much support suggesting Steven may wasn’t much opposition , I personally rate him top3 key defenders in the comp , no 1 on a good day , anyways early days but exciting

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Sambo showing more .

Its slow burn for blokes that big but he has always shown signs here and there that he might be a prospect.

Looking more likely as he travels along.

Miller has been a slow burn and Sambo is bigger and rawer.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Takes a strong mark, he doesn't juggle em, a better mark than Miller.
Ryan and Tom playing deep, Jack on the flank, with Ryan giving Nank a chop out in the ruck.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
If you take just over 3 contested marks per game, you are the best in the competition (Tom Lynch 3.3).

His taking 4 in a quarter reinforces the intensity of the game for me. Not knocking him, just saying we need to see that quarter for what it was. A promising young player making the most of an opportunity to shine without much opposition.
Still gotta take into account that he played the Ressies game, then would've cooled down n somewhat stiffened up as a result of that while then having to warm up n present again in the last qtr of the seniors game. Apart from his surprisingly dodgy kicking for goal, he performed bloody well when he came on.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
1677964772174.jpeg
Simple retweet to show how small Steven May is in comparison.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
He is nothing like Vickery. The only comparison is their height.
Height, weak upper body when young, skinny, can get bumped off his run & leap easily, when arms get over his head in a marking contest and leaps he is unstoppable, weak in the legs but great spring, can look like a giraffe on ice skates and then look like a gazelle two minutes ago and no one quite knows how they will end up. Ty kicked 36 as a 21 year old, we all thought we had a star on the brink. Let’s hope Ryan does the reverse. Big blokes are a lotto.

Reactions: 2 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Takes a strong mark, he doesn't juggle em, a better mark than Miller.
Ryan and Tom playing deep, Jack on the flank, with Ryan giving Nank a chop out in the ruck.
The trait I’m seeing that I like is that he knows he’s got a decent frame and he’s starting to push his weight around not afraid to really attack the contest , good signs

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Reckon
Height, weak upper body when young, skinny, can get bumped off his run & leap easily, when arms get over his head in a marking contest and leaps he is unstoppable, weak in the legs but great spring, can look like a giraffe on ice skates and then look like a gazelle two minutes ago and no one quite knows how they will end up. Ty kicked 36 as a 21 year old, we all thought we had a star on the brink. Let’s hope Ryan does the reverse. Big blokes are a lotto.

Some massive differences:

1) Leap - Tyrone never got off the ground. Our boy leaps tall buildings

2) Agility - Tyrone was straight train tracks. Our boy ducks and weaves.

3) Heart - Tyrone shied from physical contact. Our lad cherishes it.

4) Leadership - Tyrone thought it was the name of a boat. Watch our lad at 1/4 and 3/4 time huddles in the VFL. He is the one speaking up to his midfield or forward group, instructing, encouraging, taking charge. With everyone listening. Inner belief and confidence.

5) Hair - This was the big one you never mentioned. You have Leysy here Scooper. :D

You will be the last of the Ron Jeremy's with Samsonite. But we'll get you there.

Reactions: 7 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Leysy Days memory has gone Hazy Ways. The heart thing, thats was Ty’s downfall. Agility and leap? You bonkers.

Vickery’s agility was first class then for a man his size and still would be by todays standard. And he was super quick off the mark, hes got Ryan covered there. Ryan has not shown the likelihood of kicking 30 in a season as Vickery had at the same age. The hype is way ahead of the potential and output thus far for Ryan.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Petty was playing on him. The last mark he took deep in our forward was against a man who had definitely not given up the fight as you say. Watch the replay and look at Pettys body language.

Who was third man up?

He is nothing like Vickery. The only comparison is their height.

109th most games played and 38th most goals kicked for Richmond. Ryan couldn't carry Vickery's bags as yet.
not sure you’d get much support suggesting Steven may wasn’t much opposition , I personally rate him top3 key defenders in the comp , no 1 on a good day , anyways early days but exciting

I agree but I'm not sure the last quarter was his most important priority.

Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Leysy Days memory has gone Hazy Ways. The heart thing, thats was Ty’s downfall. Agility and leap? You bonkers.

Vickery’s agility was first class then for a man his size and still would be by todays standard. And he was super quick off the mark, hes got Ryan covered there. Ryan has not shown the likelihood of kicking 30 in a season as Vickery had at the same age. The hype is way ahead of the potential and output thus far for Ryan.

Who cares if Tyrone he kicked 30 at the same age. Our lad was drafted late, is 206cm and keeps progressing up.

And yes Tyrone was quick off the mark in a straight line. 100%.

But Leap and agility. 100% No. His lack of leap (plus some heart) was why he couldn't transition to the ruck. Where Samson will eventually play.

Anyway, you (and some others) will see. Eventually. Forever to be known as the Ron Jeremy's.

• Haha

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018

Tyrone was very light on his feet. And very agile. Could turn on a twenty cent piece. His dad John, who was our boxing coach, taught him well about footwork.
But Tyrone was too thoughtful, very intelligent and a different type of cat.
Not the alpha male you need to be to throw your weight around and hurt others.
Now his dad John, we’ll that’s another story.

Reactions: 5 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

No agility or leap on show, this is the first video that appears.

If Ryan duplicates 80% of what Vickery did in his career, I’ll be impressed.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Who cares if Tyrone he kicked 30 at the same age. Our lad was drafted late, is 206cm and keeps progressing up.

And yes Tyrone was quick off the mark in a straight line. 100%.

But Leap and agility. 100% No. His lack of leap (plus some heart) was why he couldn't transition to the ruck. Where Samson will eventually play.

Anyway, you (and some others) will see. Eventually. Forever to be known as the Ron Jeremy's.
When comparing Samson with Tyrone, a lot of consideration has to be given to the fact that Samson only started playing footy seriously when he was about 17.
He was a gun cricketer who won a scholarship, and only started playing footy in the offseason when he went to watch a game and someone asked him if he'd like to play.
Also Tyrone probably wouldn't have got the early games that he did if Tom and Jack were in the side. When Tyrone come onto the scene there was just Jack and himself.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004

No agility or leap on show, this is the first video that appears.

If Ryan duplicates 80% of what Vickery did in his career, I’ll be impressed.

He was skilled. No doubt. A junior prodigy.

But can you point me where he gets off the ground anywhere near what Samson did on the weekend? Leap = No.

Reckon Leysy's lad will just be hitting his potential at 27 as opposed to delisted and finished. Looking forward to that comparison.

Last edited:

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
When comparing Samson with Tyrone, a lot of consideration has to be given to the fact that Samson only started playing footy seriously when he was about 17.
He was a gun cricketer who won a scholarship, and only started playing footy in the offseason when he went to watch a game and someone asked him if he'd like to play.
Also Tyrone probably wouldn't have got the early games that he did if Tom and Jack were in the side. When Tyrone come onto the scene there was just Jack and himself.

Yup! Surface just starting to be scratched.

Not the traditional pathway. Why we got him in draft terms so cheap.