Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
IMO we should give him a game this week ahead of Naismith.
Has had solid form in the twos the past 3 weeks now & has earned a call up.
Balta returning likely next week so may not get another snr opportunity for a while.
Let's see if the good form shown at VFL level translates to snr footy.
Not looking for him to star, just looking for improvement at AFL level.

Reactions: 15 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I'm more of the view we should keep persecuting him until he dominates the VFL. Especially with Balta coming back next week meaning he's likely to be in and out, which is no good for confidence.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I’m not sure persecuting young players is good for confidence. Shane Strempel vibes!
I'm not saying bash him, ed! Just insist he dominate the VFL before we bring him into the bigs.

I see he had five contested marks last week. Big number. Maybe the coach thinks that's enough.

Reactions: 1 users

yo_eddy

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 18, 2023
I admit I’m a bit of a weather vane on Samson. Given our ladder position I think we might as well play him in the seniors, why wait? But I also see him in the VFL games and while there’s improvement he still has a way to go.

Reactions: 1 user

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Sam Draper averages 9D, 15HO, .3GL, 2.2MK, 3CL. He gets a game. And spends time forward. He is a ruck and a very promising one IMO.

He's a naturally more dominant style of player than Samson. But he doesn't get numbers. And he gets towelled up at times. That's why Goldstein is there. BTW Draper drops his head in game. He gets tired from the grind of rucking.

The biggest myth about rucks is that they mark the ball. They don't stand up to *smile* because they're hypermasculine; it's because they fall off the toilet.

Toby Conway got 20 touches in the magoos last week. 3 goals. 40HO. 3 marks.

Lloyd Meek is 26yo. Couldn't get a game at Freo behind Darcy and then was denied a game at Hawthorn behind the CEO's son. Meek has looked like a bust for years. He slaughtered Toby Conway a few weeks ago. The thing about Meek is he's finally getting a game and can develop.

A few weeks ago Samson annihilated Pittonet. He destroys everybody at VFL level and has done for a year or so. (Was challenged by Conway.)

Samson is the only one of these emerging rucks who is being developed as a forward. And he keeps improving. I'm ok with the persecution. I think spook is right about that.

But we're getting close to a time when we have to promote Samson. It will be this year. Nank can play FF. He's been developed.

Reactions: 8 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Whilst we're on Nank he was a Premiership ruckman at Samson's age.
Nank's a cruiserweight, Olds. An antiruck. Ground support. A bit like RoMa but twice the player.

Samson is a dinosaur. FWIW I think it's a lack of mobility that is his biggest limitation atm.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Where is Samson likely to spend most of his AFL time over the next 2-3 seasons? Forward.

What's that? He kicked 4 against VFA midgets? Kick 8.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Samson showed plenty of promise last year in snr games. I’d be searching for some of that as a starting point. With list decisions looming we need to see where he’s at.
He did. In that period last year where he was first ruck backed up by Miller he showed plenty and his ruck work was good.

He has to play imo. He kicks the ball really well which is something Naismith doesn’t do and we would be getting more senior experience into him.

I think he is a ruck in the end but he is a much better forward option than Naismith as well.

Reactions: 3 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I admit I’m a bit of a weather vane on Samson. Given our ladder position I think we might as well play him in the seniors, why wait? But I also see him in the VFL games and while there’s improvement he still has a way to go.
I am with you on Samson. Right now a bit too much Delilah in him. However, I thought that Sam N age etc has caught up with him last week so maybe we swop Sam with Samson this week to see where he is at

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
He did. In that period last year where he was first ruck backed up by Miller he showed plenty and his ruck work was good.

He has to play imo. He kicks the ball really well which is something Naismith doesn’t do and we would be getting more senior experience into him.

I think he is a ruck in the end but he is a much better forward option than Naismith as well.
Absolutely. Surely at this point he learns more at AFL level. I'm expecting him to play.

Reactions: 2 users