Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

Building nicely the kid.
That long kick to Juddy out the back for a walk in goal was a peach.
When he starts dominating games, Mrs Ryan will need a AA membership!:))

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Building nicely the kid.
That long kick to Juddy out the back for a walk in goal was a peach.
When he starts dominating games, Mrs Ryan will need a AA membership!:))
yes it was. goes to show how slow their backmen are, if they can't win it in the air

Tap ruck craft is something you cannot teach. Ryan has the ability to 1/ Tap to advantage and 2/ Tap outside of the contested area. When our mids especially Bolton are in lock step with where he will tap to Left and Right side we will destroy sides offesively in the middle.
When they develop left and right running lanes and he perfects all the angles its impossible to defend.

The genius with Ryan is he can afford to get pushed off the ball half a meter he is so Tall he can still get the tap.

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users
The genius with Ryan is he can afford to get pushed off the ball half a meter he is so Tall he can still get the tap.
This is what I was trying to say but you nailed it, love it. Tall, and agile with it.

His first 3 centre square ruck duels in the last Q were top notch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Clarke hits the Brisbane academy hard. Now I think of it so did Frank. Mabior was Frank's choice.

Cumberland is the other conspicuous one. Can't remember the others...

All the talk about Sam De Koning at Carlton, getting whatever it is $600k-$800k depending on which reports you read.

I reckon Ryan is already better than him. No idea how the Blues players get rated so highly, but stoked that Samson is under the radar a bit.

I reckon we'll extend him before the end of this season.

Reactions: 7 users
All the talk about Sam De Koning at Carlton, getting whatever it is $600k-$800k depending on which reports you read.

I reckon Ryan is already better than him. No idea how the Blues players get rated so highly, but stoked that Samson is under the radar a bit.

I reckon we'll extend him before the end of this season.
While we all know Ryan's true genius (except for Spook) I think it is reasonable that the wider footballing world hasnt caught on yet. He has shown flashed here, glimpses there of that genius, interspersed with run of the mill AFL standard play. and we were losing. give him a few more weeks at this level and he will be talked about more and more. especially if his mum gets on TV again.

De Koning rucked most of last year as a 22yo (Samson's age now) as an AFL standard ruck. and early doors the Blues were winning. And he shares his surname with his brother, who goes ok.

One thing he deserves a lot of credit for is his effort in the fourth quarter on Friday night. With the game up for grabs he was relentless in effort to get to contest after contest - and managed to for the whole quarter without a chop out. Quite a remarkable effort in itself, without the number of effective clearances, taps to advantage. Very good signs for a kid in his 9th game.

Reactions: 10 users
There was one more we bid on, Brisbane matched and he didn't end up making it. Forget his name. Same year as Hipwood maybe? But yeah we either watch their academy closely, or rate it, or both.
We bid on Kennedy GWS Academy now with the GWS Blues at the same pick as Hipwood.

Maybe that was it and I'm getting mixed up, got the feeling there was one more Lions bid.
A quick search suggests Connor McFadyen in 2018- he was taken the pick before we got Jack Ross, so i assume we bid on him. never played a game.

and just like 2015, we are very lucky they matched, or we wouldnt have Jack Ross (or DRioli)

I agree. In fact if you had mentioned this part about the commentary team in your original post I would have understood your gripe. If they want to mention their background they could mention their U.18 team or the town/city they grew up in. How about writing to Ch.7?
Agreed. That comment was rather scattergun.

Thinking about it! Although generally I don't mind those two when it comes to commentary. And in any case, there are worse things to complain about in the AFL media landscape - don't start me on those journos who abuse their platform and profile for their own agendas!