Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

He tends to remind me of Ty Vickery at times. Has all the traits, can be good, bad, indifferent and lazy all in a quarter
I don’t think he’s lazy. I think he’s a bit slow, yes. And a bit cumbersome or clumsy because of his height ….both of which might give off as him being lazy, but I don’t think he’s necessarily lazy.

He’s a reasonable kick for that size, can take a grab, but he’s gotta impose himself a bit more. Bit more aggression.

If he does that with some extra strength and weight behind him, he’ll be ok. Probably as a ruck only. Pinch hitting up forward at best. Not a stay at home forward, that’s for sure.

Reactions: 4 users
Cannot go for one armed marks.
That habit must be crushed

I think that's a symptom of a lack of strength. Tries to separate from his opponent by wrestling and pushing but fails to do so and ends up going up one handed. Needs another pre season in the gym.

Reactions: 1 users
It's a reason I wouldn't mind seeing him drop back the VFL for a few weeks.
Get his marking confidence back and let him return to the trajectory that had him rated as the best young ruck in the league by those in the know.

Reactions: 1 user
Gawn at the same age as Samson is now, was unco & pretty much labelled a "dud" It took him many years of development to reach the heights he got to.
I'm not saying that Samson will get to be as good as Max, but it's still very early in his career to judge where he'll finish up.
I like a lot of others think he'll finish up being a pretty good ruckman. We just need to be a bit patient.
In footy terms he's still a baby.

Reactions: 9 users
Gawn at the same age as Samson is now, was unco & pretty much labelled a "dud" It took him many years of development to reach the heights he got to.
I'm not saying that Samson will get to be as good as Max, but it's still very early in his career to judge where he'll finish up.
I like a lot of others think he'll finish up being a pretty good ruckman. We just need to be a bit patient.
In footy terms he's still a baby.
Gawn had a lot of injuries early in his Afl career,l think he missed a couple of seasons in total from different injuries .

he is cooked ...........rest him .still a young immature ruck body ...

The one armed mark attempt is typically my line ruler

But i think a baby tall using every technique it to bring the ball to ground

Is entirely acceptable

sampa needs to use one hand to jostle at this early stage,

Wont be long before both arms are up like giant testicles,

And one grab clunks become monotonous

I dont see much point in young ryan competing against journeymen in the 2s,

When he can be competing against the best in the 1s

His trajectory demands it

Reactions: 3 users
The one armed mark attempt is typically my line ruler

Is entirely acceptable

sampa needs to use one hand to jostle at this early stage,

Wont be long before both arms are up like giant testicles,

And one grab clunks become monotonous

I dont see much point in young ryan competing against journeymen in the 2s,

When he can be competing against the best in the 1s

His trajectory demands it
Considering we don’t play small forwards as crumbers, I’m not sure about the value of bringing the ball to ground atm.
The other concern is that he’s been in the right position to take the mark but doesn’t actually attempt to mark it.
Terrible habit.
At 206cm if he gets first hands to the ball and spills the mark, it goes to ground anyway.
At what point do the coaches say, ok Ryan let’s start going for your marks with 2 hands? When he’s put on another 10kg?

This, I also put it down to the way we train, 90% of the time in drills high balls to forwards are deliberately knocked to ground for small forwards, even when the tall forward is the only one in the square.
Is this overtaking their mindset on game day?, Miller also has a habit of going one handed at times seemingly the only intent to bring to ground rather than marking
Lynch on the other hand sole intent is to mark the ball and crunch packs, similar Riewoldt although his capabilities declining, this by it's very nature brings the ball to ground should they fail to mark.
Maybe why it is Bauer Time!, not a key tall but will fly for everything, (sometimes ridiculously so).

**Samson has taken some good overhead contested marks, more so when he is leading high up to the wing though, the jostling deep forward needs work and yes FFS go strongly with two hands, you are always going to be the tallest timber down there.

Reactions: 5 users
This, I also put it down to the way we train, 90% of the time in drills high balls to forwards are deliberately knocked to ground for small forwards, even when the tall forward is the only one in the square.
Is this overtaking their mindset on game day?, Miller also has a habit of going one handed at times seemingly the only intent to bring to ground rather than marking
Lynch on the other hand sole intent is to mark the ball and crunch packs, similar Riewoldt although his capabilities declining, this by it's very nature brings the ball to ground should they fail to mark.
Maybe why it is Bauer Time!, not a key tall but will fly for everything, (sometimes ridiculously so).

**Samson has taken some good overhead contested marks, more so when he is leading high up to the wing though, the jostling deep forward needs work and yes FFS go strongly with two hands, you are always going to be the tallest timber down there.
I'm sure you're right with all of that.

Bizarre tactic though. If you're a tall forward under the ball then 9 times out of 10 a tall defender is going to be spoiling it and trying to bring it to ground anyway so what's the point ? Hard enough for ruckmen to do it at bounces etc without a tall forward also trying to do it by palming a 40m kick on top of their head down to a small forward. Might as well increase your chances of possession by going two hands for the mark.

Have to say, I don't like it when I see Miller and Sampson (and sometimes Nank and Riewoldt) doing that.

Reactions: 2 users
Apart from something here and there i dont see a kid hungry to contest with physically.
He needs to stop dropping his head and flying for the ball with 2 arms out stretched

Bizarre tactic though. If you're a tall forward under the ball then 9 times out of 10 a tall defender is going to be spoiling it and trying to bring it to ground anyway so what's the point ? Hard enough for ruckmen to do it at bounces etc without a tall forward also trying to do it by palming a 40m kick on top of their head down to a small forward. Might as well increase your chances of possession by going two hands for the mark.

Have to say, I don't like it when I see Miller and Sampson (and sometimes Nank and Riewoldt) doing that.
I would guess (not saying i agree) they are trying to stop the defender punching where they want, and instead are trying to control where it goes.
There is merit at times- particularly when outnumbered, or out positioned, but it looks like both Miller and Ryan do it every time. Miller in particular, doesnt even try to get in a position to mark, he just tries to engage his defender then use 1 hand to palm the ball down.

I like to see forwards going for their marks too, but at least five times out of 10 one or more defenders is working to block the marking forward out of the contest so the media can tell us how good the Stewarts and Ridleys of the world are when they take an uncontested mark.

• Love
I like to see forwards going for their marks too, but at least five times out of 10 one or more defenders is working to block the marking forward out of the contest so the media can tell us how good the Stewarts and Ridleys of the world are when they take an uncontested mark.
Yes, happens all the time. But I think the discussion is, when they aren't being blocked out, why the decision to palm v attempt to mark so many times ? Not a fan personally but I'm sure there's some reason to it with the coaches. I reckon I hear every game in the stands some punter saying "Go for the ##### mark!" Probably.....Pidley. He does a lot of yelling and swearing.

• Haha
I would guess (not saying i agree) they are trying to stop the defender punching where they want, and instead are trying to control where it goes.
There is merit at times- particularly when outnumbered, or out positioned, but it looks like both Miller and Ryan do it every time. Miller in particular, doesnt even try to get in a position to mark, he just tries to engage his defender then use 1 hand to palm the ball down.
A clear gameplan tactic is soft hands and bring the ball to ground at the feet of the tall forward. As @caesar says, this has been trained all pre-season and still is.